Barcode scanner

Answers

• upsmom0107
    upsmom0107 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2022
    It stopped working the other day and now an ad for premium pops up when I try yo scan any label. Is this permanent?
    If premium wasn't so expensive I would get it but $20 a month is too much, even $80 a year is way too high when there's so many free apps out there. (I do not mind ads)
  • jacobeeortega
    jacobeeortega Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    For the longest time scanning the barcode was free. You just recently change it today to where I have to pay for what I’ve been doing already? Is there a way we can fix that at all. I’ve been using this app for years now.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I have such a long streak I really hate to leave.... but I've heard of a lot of people switching to Lose It. I'm still on the fence because I hate to start my days logged in streak from scratch.

If your new app allows you to reset streak like MFP does, maybe you could just stick your current MFP number on there lol
  • RonnieNJ
    RonnieNJ Posts: 1 Member
    Like the other members why can't the barcode scanner work without paying for premium?
  • tewalker1
    tewalker1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    What has happened to the ability to scan barcode from the food you eat?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    This is ridiculous, why charge now for something that's been free for years. Not like it costs them any more all of a sudden. Loyal customers/users are obviously NOT important anymore. If everybody drops the app, maybe their advertisers will lose money and make some noise. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

BMW just did this. They now charge extra for ... everything. You have to turn on features like heated seats and navigation with subscriptions. This saves them money because they make fewer models. I read an article in CNBC about the customer uproar. Apparently, they just rolled it out without warning.

On a smaller scale, a password database app I used changed to a subscription method. I've been using it for 15 years and had periodically paid for app upgrades, but nothing like this. They moved Face ID to be a subscription service, and one day I just couldn't login anymore without my password. No warning. Their reviews in the app store tanked. Mine was one of them.
  • koko6063
    koko6063 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Really?? Come on.
  • benjaminmilinic
    benjaminmilinic Posts: 1 Member
    First of all I have used this app for a very long time and I loved it, but in light of recent changes it’s becoming a lot less user friendly. It’s hard enough tracking calories everyday and workouts and even family schedules, it has just become very inconvenient that certain processes take longer now because I don’t have a premium account when it used to be completely free in the past.
    So I was just wondering the reason for the change and if it is permanent.

Thank you for your time
    Ben
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    edited October 2022
    If you're talking about the barcode scanner, this is what they posted on their blog:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/barcode-scan-moving-to-myfitnesspal-premium/
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    eleven years on MFP, for the first time I'm now thinking of leaving. This really makes me mad. Paying to scan???
  • asra1234
    asra1234 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2022
    Good morning, I think there is an issue with the barcode scanner. Anytime I tap it, it goes straight to an ad for the monthly premium. Should i remove the app and reinstall or will it be fixed soon?
  • kyrstin__1188
    kyrstin__1188 Posts: 170 Member
    edited October 2022
    They changed it and now the barcode scanner is only available with a premium subscription.
  • mikey7sparks
    mikey7sparks Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Probably going to switch over to a different app now that you have to pay for the barcode scan
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    edited October 2022
    See ya :)
  • jradd803
    jradd803 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2022
    Am I the only one that is absolutely baffled that they paywalled the barcode scanner? That was the only distinguishable feature of this app that made it better than other free ones. Time to download one of the 50 other free ones that work exactly the same now. What a shame…
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited October 2022
    Another newbie, 1st post,...... I'm starting to watch this, it's crazy.
  • jenniferpolsinelli1
    jenniferpolsinelli1 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2022
    I agree.
  • CoffeeNstilettos
    CoffeeNstilettos Posts: 2,594 Member
    edited October 2022
    56m2rrh3r9vc.gif
  • hissally20
    hissally20 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2022
    I know that it ain't just me but, myfitnesspal changed before you were able to scan you foods bar code without having to pay a year subscription. Idk why the heck they decided to change that.
This discussion has been closed.