WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2022

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    edited November 2022
    Afternoon ladies
    After that Thanksgiving meal and me feeling nauseous afterwards ,I haven't felt the urge to eat alot .ans I didn't while we were out.. we had a lovely lunch in Sandwich on the Cape when we got there..and then we didn't eat that night..Doris had leftover lunch and my stomach was stopped up.. so i just drank water.. next day didn't much we didn't go out to eat at all Doris had Ramen she brought again nothing for me.. and then Thursday we had Thanksgiving dinner at 1 and it was a large meal.. and thats when i got sick.
    Watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation... ive never seen it all the way through .. hysterical...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Ladies, lots of interesting discussion here today. <3

Betsy - it's 6 months now since my DH passed, and I can't imagine getting married again, or even having a serious relationship. He really was easy to care for as his health declined, I'd been dealing with his RA for the past couple decades and he really wasn't in severe pain or limited health-wise until his final couple years. His short term memory started to fail, but he didn't want to drive anymore so I didn't have that battle. He could still walk (slowly) take care of his hygiene and feed himself. His depression and sadness was hard for both of us.

I do know a couple elderly widows who were on the prowl pretty quickly. I'm enjoying my freedom and as I've said many times, my life is now peaceful. Not sure I could be patient with being responsible for someone in my life who violated my peace. We'll see who shows up, if anyone. Not on my priority list, and I'm not looking, that's for sure.

Weight loss/Intermittent Fasting - I'd been on and off Weight Watchers since I was nineteen, and it helped me lose 50 pounds and keep them off - when I'd gain ten back, I'd go back to meetings or use their on-line logging with points or whatever scheme they had going. I was a lot more physically active then too with farm chores.

About 5 years ago they completely reformatted their webpage to make it smartphone based, and the website really took a dive. As luck would have it I ran across MFP and this group and it was easy to transfer over to MFP's diary to log what I ate. That pesky ten pounds was back.

One day Heather posted info about a Michael Mosley documentary on intermittent fasting. Here it is again if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihhj_VSKiTs I rewatch this video at least once a year!

Since I don't like to count calories and am a big fan of healthy fat, it's fairly easy for me to do 16:8 or14:10. Some IF researchers and "experts" advise that for folks over 70, a 12 hour fast is long enough and while it might not help with weight loss, there will be some autophagy.

Several years ago, I could do a 19:5 especially if I'd really overeaten the day before. Now, I tend to get light headed if I go too long with just black coffee and tea so when I get the signal, I eat if it's been 12 or 16 hours since I've eaten last. No more watching the clock.

I'm on the borderline of being overweight. And I've made my peace with it. Genetics have predisposed me to a thicker middle and my ancestors were healthy eating plenty of butter, lard, meat, potatoes, bread and all that good farm cooking. Mom lived to 89, grandmothers into their mid-90's. They never worried about being on diets, either. They were grateful for their good health and that's enough for me.

So I'm more interested in the healing powers of autophagy triggered by IF. Definition of autophagy per the Cleveland Clinic: Autophagy allows your body to break down and reuse old cell parts so your cells can operate more efficiently. It's a natural cleaning out process that begins when your cells are stressed or deprived of nutrients. Researchers are studying autophagy's role in potentially preventing and fighting disease. Aug 23, 2022

I watched an interesting Dr. Been video yesterday about intermittent fasting as a modality to help those suffering from long covid, and how the autophagy can help eliminate spike proteins and toxins from other diseases as well that make it hard for some folks to heal.

The video above also mentioned a supplement called "spermidine" which helps induce autophagy - looks like it's a derivative of wheat germ, but not sure. When I get a chance I'll research it more. For a person recuperating from a serious illness, it might be beneficial along with some food restriction.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Night night, my lovelies. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, if you’re across the pond. It well past my bedtime.

☘️ Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Stats for the day-

Housecleaning etc- 2hrs 15min 58sec, vacuum, dust laundry fold and put away, water plants, refill hummingbird food, sweep front entryway and front patio, fill up back fountain = 639c
    Walk w/all kids- 16.58min, .53mi= 59c

Total cal 698
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Amy Dixon’s Breathless Body DVD then since it was raining, did a Leslie Sansone DVD. Perhaps it’ll get nicer in the afternoon and I can go for another walk. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise but we do have bowling in the afternoon and then ceramics at night.

The shingles for the new roof should be delivered tomorrow. If we’re at bowling, Vince plans to use a traffic cone we have with a sign on it “put shingles here” so that it’s not in front of the garage door we use. They should start work Tuesday. It looks like rain Wednesday so if it’s raining, they may do the roof of the detached garage Thursday

Betsy – HUG

Made the pierogi today for Christmas and will just put them in the freezer. Fortunately, since there will only be the 4 of us, I didn’t make that many. I’m thinking that next year we’ll probably have it here and so I’ll probably make more. But that’s not until next year and who knows what’ll happen?

Now making more of the chocolate chip banana muffins. I didn’t like the way they came out when I used the bananas Jess gave me so I’ll make some with my bananas and just tell her that I used hers.

I have to say that I usually pre-plan our dinners and my exercise. I usually do this one week in advance. I’m pretty good about sticking to this. It’s the snacking at nighttime that is the killer to me. I try, I really do. I usually reserve something to have late at night like an apple, which I’ve already logged.

Not sure why I’m so tired, I got lots of sleep last night. I’ll probably go to bed earlier today. Went for a walk this afternoon.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    But if the way you choose to change your eating habits is a way that has you counting the days until you can “cheat” that is not the right choice

Smiles Kim in N. California

Very good point.

I'll also add that things change from time to time and what might be working right now and for many years, may need to be re-evaluated and changed with changing circumstances.

Machka in Oz

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,747 Member
    Small Thing Gratitude ...Cell phone ... not to talk on but to be able to use as a transcription device when people have masks on and I can't read their lips. (MyEar app).

Remarrying ... while my husband is alive and well, I know that should he pass before me there will be no remarrying for me. I've had enough caregiving in my life and I think Betsy's question to her friend is an important consideration in new relationships later in life.

Rebecca ... I am thinking of you and will be praying that the next few days you experience only peace. Remember, your surgery is intended to make your life better!

Beth near Buffalo
  • Machka9
    I usually start eating about eight in the morning and stop about four in the afternoon so that's an eight hour window. When I'm being good. I end up sitting and watching my parents eat, which is good socializing, but hard on my diet.

I have gained ten pounds since August, so something has to change. Most likely the cookies and chocolate. And too many "special" meals. I really think a mango smoothie will help my routine, and then I can vary from that framework. I prefer to eat by routine. I can't imagine managing inventory of thirty kinds of plants. I'm still working on five servings of fruit and veggies a day!

Annie in Delaware

Could you shift the time period that you eat back so that you eat dinner at the same time your parents eat dinner?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Hey all. Good conversations!
    Weight loss/healthy choices- Making healthy choices like planning meals, meal times, exercise takes work. I think that is why my weight and habits fluctuate up and down, up and down, over and over. Months ago, Barbie shared how she figured out exactly how much "free" time she had each day/week, by writing down everything she did. I found out that I have 32 hours of free time each week (sleeping time is not free time). I have days and weeks where I can use that time efficiently and get things done or just relax. Some days/weeks that time is eaten away by caring for my DH. Some days/weeks that time is spent caring for myself. I know the weight that I have to lose will come off, as soon as I have the energy and heart to put into it. Some days I am there; some days I am not. I am hoping my upcoming trip will keep me on the better choices path and using my "free" time wisely.
    caregiving- If my DH goes before me, I will not remarry. I might date. I might have a relationship. I might gift myself a toy and some alone time. BUT, I will not remarry. I have never had time to myself. I really think I need that. I have cared for many lifetimes worth of people. I just want time to care for myself. It feels selfish to think and as I read it, it looks selfish to see in print; but I think every one needs some point in their life to think about themselves and put themselves first. I was just going to say, "I'm not Mother Teresa". But even Mother Teresa did what she WANTED and was where she WANTED to be. Her choices. Mine aren't as noble, but if I don't take care of me, who will?

Regarding free time ...

We have 168 hours in the week.
    If we sleep 8 hours a night, that's 56 hours.

168 - 56 = 112

My time from when I get up in the morning to get ready for work until I get home from work is 10 hour a day 4 or 5 days a week = 40-50 hours. Lunch can be sort of free time, but I'm often running errands or attending appointments. I consider it a good week if I can get 1 or 2 lunches where I don't have something to do.

112 - 45 = 67

Then there's walking Rhody and dinner. Walking Rhody is a relaxing time for me but now that he's in the habit, it must be done. That usually takes up 1.5 hours a day, 7 days a week = 10.5 hours.

67 - 10.5 = 56.5

Then there's housework, evening Zoom meetings, cycling club stuff, legal stuff, caring stuff, bills and other stuff that comes up and needs to be dealt with. I would guess I spend about 3 hours a day 7 days a week on that stuff = 21 hours a week.

56.5 - 21 = 35.5 hours

In those 35.5 hours, I work on my organising and simplifying projects, I work in the garden, I ride my bicycle, walk, run, row, do pilates and/or lift weights, and I colour.

Like you, I have days and weeks where I can use that time efficiently and get things done or just relax.
    And some weeks are busier than others with caring, legal stuff, cycling club stuff, etc. This past week was a cycling club week, for example.

Regarding remarrying ... I also have absolutely no intention to remarry. I hope my husband will live on for many years yet, but when the time comes, I imagine myself moving into an independent living apartment (if I'm not there already) and amusing myself by returning to university to take another course ... or travelling. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I had a good day today. The best part was a good conversation with DH. His health is improving and we were able spend time chatting with each other. <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Hugs Beth! Thanks. I am nervous.😳💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
    z8fadvrc2te7.png
    Need to buy this next month!💖
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    I have read through, but didn’t take notes. I had a beautiful weekend and enjoyed all of it.

I wish I knew how to share a video on here. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow night. It is almost 11pm and I need to get some sleep.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Add me to the list of those who would not remarry! An older woman once told me (after her husband passed) that men her age were looking for a nurse or a purse and she was not interested. She made a lot of sense…. My hubby is still quite alive and, for the most part well, but he has decided that he’s going first. I’ve given up trying to talk him out of it.

Looks like the scale is creeping in the right direction again. I have been more vigilant with what goes in my mouth and more diligent about getting to the gym and it’s paying off. Go figure… :p
    I am all caught up with reading and enjoying everyone’s photos and stories, just not much time to comment. Doesn’t help that my desktop is being difficult and I find typing on my tablet a bit of a challenge.

Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to any new ladies!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    6745o8pln39v.png
  • Machka9
    Monday

I slept a full 12 hours last night ... so tired!!

But then I had a cup of coffee and got moving. It was a day off, so I wanted to get a few things done:

- Cleaned bathroom
    - Touched up the rest of the house - tidying and cleaning here and there
    - Went through leftover food from the event yesterday
    - Put away clothes
    - Washed laundry & hung clothes to dry
    - Took Rhody for a walk
    - Coloured ... because I like to relax a bit on my days off
    - Went through heaps of emails I've just let go for the last few days.

Tomorrow I go back to work.

Machka in Oz