WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    Lanette: You are not alone! I have also been suffering from inflammation after overindulgence in sugary treats. It’s just not true that all calories are equal. Keeping under goal is only healthy if the majority of your food is healthy and wholesome. I try to keep my indulgences in check, but my resistance was low due to Covid fatigue, but the quick fix had consequences. 😝

The family are coming for lunch today. We had hoped we could go for a walk but it’s rather wet, so will probably just sit and chat.

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    I complained to the card printers and they've immediately sent a refund for the postage and they are going to reprint the cards for me. They want a photo of the actual card for quality control. For some reason it has a grey background!? The actual painting has a white background and the photo is fairly accurate, so I'm not sure how that happened. Anyway, I have nothing to lose by them trying again. :D It was a nice letter.

Machka - I agree that the letters are too big. It was quite a hard site to negotiate, especially with the lettering. I struggled to get it on there.
    Yes, do get a photo or two printed up. The proper art ink type prints are expensive, but worth it, I guess. Try one. The company that is printing the robins card also does the art prints with an integral mount. Easier to frame.

Thank you all for your comments on my cover photo. I'm not happy yet, so will play some more. Isn't it wonderful that a complete amateur like me can produce something these days! Modern programs and apps are just amazing!
    I really value your feedback.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    This stuff (Prunella vulgaris L. or Common Self Heal) has sturdy roots! No wonder it spreads everywhere. I've decided to leave some in, but to plant a couple other things with similar hardiness to provide some competition.

5f4q2ysq04p3.png

So you decided it isn't Salvia after all? It's hard to tell - they look fairly similar - but Prunella has square stems, I believe.

I'm still not 100% sure but it is spreading everywhere including the lawn so whatever it is, it's persistent!

Well ... the stems aren't smoothly round.
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited December 2022
    m9ouia0rn0u0.png

Too complicated?

Heather UK xxxxxx

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Tracey It took almost a year and a half after the passing of my Sara (pyrenes) for the vacuum to finally quit picking up her hair!

Machka and Rebecca My youngest daughter has kidney issues like her dad. She was told vegetarian meals and 100 oz of water a day. Her dad was just told the 100 oz of water. I struggle getting 64 oz of water in, can't even imagine 100 oz!

Karen I too miss those that aren't active right now, which is one of the reasons I feel badly when I don't at least pop in.

On to next page,
    Kylia
  • Machka9
    edited December 2022
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka and Rebecca My youngest daughter has kidney issues like her dad. She was told vegetarian meals and 100 oz of water a day. Her dad was just told the 100 oz of water. I struggle getting 64 oz of water in, can't even imagine 100 oz!

Kylia

Eating Right for Chronic Kidney Disease
    https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/kidney-disease/chronic-kidney-disease-ckd/eating-nutrition

Step 1: Choose and prepare foods with less salt and sodium
    Step 2: Eat the right amount and the right types of protein
    Step 3: Choose foods that are healthy for your heart

And as the disease progresses ...

Step 4: Choose foods and drinks with less phosphorus
    Step 5: Choose foods with the right amount of potassium

100 oz is 3 litres of water (or other water-based beverages). That's not bad. 2 litres is the traditional recommendation, which I get, and with my exercise I will consume an additional litre. I've had kidney stones for years and if I don't get that much, it hurts.

My diet leans toward vegetarian. It isn't entirely vegetarian, but I'll often have days or meals without meat. And when I do eat meat, it isn't the main part of the meal.

I do have to watch my sodium intake. I rarely have things like those ramen (oriental) noodles anymore because they're way too high in sodium. About the only time I'll have them is after a long bicycle ride where I have sweated a lot. We do try to eat fresh veggies from our garden or the fruit and veg market. But I do like salt and will salt my foods ... and I need to cut back on that!!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    If you're interested in the Action for Happiness Calendar ...
    Do Good December
    This month, we're encouraging you to carry out small acts of kindness.

Or we could post something we're thankful for, or happy about, related to the holiday season.

December 1 - I love the Christmas music. :) Come December 1, that's almost all I play. Christmas music or classical music (when I have to think at work or when we're in the car).

December 2 - Christmas decorations! We're lagging behind a bit because I usually like to decorate on December 1. But we got the decorations upstairs on Dec 2. Today I'll rearrange furniture and make a start.

December 3 - Summer. My favourite season. And we are finally having a few days of decent weather after a very wild and woolly spring. That's not saying the good weather will last (thanks La Nina) but there should be more of it.

December 4 - Memories. So many of the Christmas songs and traditions remind me of my parents and grandparents and happy Christmases with them.

December 5 - Christmas Displays. I like how many of the shops have Christmas Displays, and some are quite detailed and intricate.

December 6 - Greetings. People smiling and wishing each other Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

December 7 - Shortbread. So much delicious shortbread!

December 8 - Family. Christmas seems to bring us together a bit more.

December 8 - Trees. All over the world, millions of people are putting up trees in their houses and work places and decorating them. :)

December 9 - Sparkly Things. I love how everything becomes sparkly at this time of year.

December 10 - Yummy Things. Mince tarts and cookies. Fudge. Special Chocolates. All sorts of nibbles that only come out at this time of year.

December 11 - Colours. Reds and greens and a few other combinations out everywhere.

December 12 - Christmas Stories. Twas the Night Before Christmas. A Christmas Carol. Jesus Birth.

December 13 - Wrapping things up, and I don't just mean presents.

December 14 - The Christmas songs I know by heart. I sang them to myself during my surgery to help keep me calm and focusing on something else.

December 15 - Rest. Except for one Christmas, I think I have had a holiday time over every other Christmas. Today I'm on enforced rest.

December 16 - Comfort. Christmas is usually a comfortable time of year for me. In Canada it was about going out in the cold to shop or ski and then coming home and curling up in warm, cozy clothes. Here it's about spending time in the warm sunshine, at the beach, in the garden or right now, looking at the lovely outside from inside.

December 17 - Joy. Christmas has usually been a joyful time for me ... probably mainly to do with being able to take a break.

December 18 - Pretty. It's such a pretty time of year and people seem to go to lengths to make everything pretty.

December 19 - Movies. Last night we watched 2 Christmas movies. I get a kick out of them and can just relax and enjoy them. I've got 3 of the ones on the Bingo card below. :)

December 20 - Home ... or away. Either way, Christmas is a time to be somewhere I feel comfortable.

December 21 - Fun. I usually relax a bit more around Christmas and make a point of doing things for fun!

December 22 - Exercise. Christmas has usually been a time when I get extra exercise! In Canada, I was out skiing and snowshoeing. Here I'm usually out cycling, running and walking.

Unfortunately, I'm not as active this Christmas. But I'm pushing for a bicycle ride this weekend. :)

December 23 - Health. Christmas is usually a time to regroup and regain my health through sleep, exercise, and eating better.

December 24 - Love.

December 25 - Jesus' birth.

December 26 - Silent Night. It's quieter here than usual.

December 27 - These in between days when there's nothing much to do. :)

December 28 - Gardening

December 29 - Warmth and sunshine

December 30 - Time ... time to work on things at home, time to rest.

:heart:

Just saw your post, Barbara ...

:heart:
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Aha, finally found a December daily gratitude calendar.
    https://www.spacewiseorganizing.com/december-gratitude-challenge/
    “This time of year, there’s a lot of pressure to think about what we want instead of what we have. Every day for the month of December, celebrate what you’re grateful for corresponding to the theme of the day. Snap a photo or update your status on IG or FB with #spaceforgratitude”
    1sa7taue9pwm.png

1 What is something that makes you laugh? Rhody! We're so very glad we got our little COVID Cat!

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. Rest. There will be a lot of rest over Christmas.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I like my nose and want to keep it. But my official answer will be legs - for transport (walking) and recreation (cycling).

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I've said husband and parents last month, and that's true, but this month I'll say ... my manager. She has been supportive and encouraging regarding my input into my job.

5 What is a book that changed your life? The Bible. :) With the Christmas season in mind, I'm reading the gospel of Luke now.

6 Think about something you’re good at. I think I'm good at planning and organisation.

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To speak up. To say my piece.

When I was young, up till about 17-ish, I was quiet and shy. Then I went through a bolder phase from about 17 into my early 20s. Then the quiet shyness resumed for the most part until my husband's accident. And then the bold me reappeared!

Where I once guessed what people might be thinking and thought my answers, now I'm vocal and even told I'm quite blunt. :smiley:

8 A basic need that has been met. Shelter. I'm very thankful for our particular shelter.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The proximity to both mountains and beaches. :)

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Oh that's an interesting question. Either there haven't been many or I don't remember them but I'm drawing a blank. Although ... about 18 months or so ago, I didn't get a job I was going for and thought I wanted. I think I prefer the one I have now. I think it is providing me with more opportunities for experience and learning.

11 Something you use every day. A coffee cup to hold my morning coffee. :)

12 Something you don’t need anymore. What don't I need anymore? Perhaps some of the time consuming traditions like writing the Christmas letter, doing Christmas cards, heaps of baking ...

And outside of Christmas, I'm making choices that work for me. Picking and choosing what I want to do ... and don't want to do. I'm grateful I can make a few more of those choices.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home - my chair. I bought a wing chair about a year or so ago and it's my spot.

14 Item of clothing - rain jacket. Because it appears that it isn't going to stop raining! Also comfy pjs. :)

15 Taste - I am grateful that I still have a sense of taste. That was one thing my husband lost with his brain injury.

16 Touch - I'm glad for my smooth, comfortable bed where I've been spending a lot of time.

17 Smell - Love the smell of our roses.

18 Sound - Thoroughly enjoying the sound of the Christmas music I play all day long. :)

19 Sight - I'm appreciating sight after spending the last 5 days without glasses!! I can wear my glasses for a little while now but have to take a break after even just a minute or so.

20 Texture - the smooth creamy texture of chocolates, the melt in the mouth texture of shortbread. :)

21 Color - All sorts of Christmas colours!!

22 A song that makes you happy. Jesus Loves Me.

23 Type of weather you love. Sunshine and warmth.

24 Professional who helps you. That would be my surgeon!

25 Something you take for granted. The love of my family. Not that I take them for granted but that I know they will always love me. :heart:

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching. Midsommer Murders. We'll start watching it again after the Christmas season. They'll play 150 reruns of it, so it's nice to take a break and watch Christmas movies and then we'll look forward to seeing it later.

27 A movie you watch over and over. A Christmas movie would be Scrooge with Alistair Sim. :)
    But actually, I have a little collection of Christmas movies on DVD and I watch them every year.

A non-Christmas movie would likely be Princess Bride.

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had. Ooo. Many of them! In the past year, the jobs I've had.

29 A place you love to visit. For the past nearly 5 years ... an area of northern Tasmania where the land is relatively flat and good for cycling.

I'd love to visit other places but of course we still can't leave Tasmania.

30 A tool you find incredibly useful. My laptop!! And outside, my little shovel.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    I just bought vinyl stickers. I am going to put "progession" and "self care" on bathroom mirror. Front and center to see daily.
  • Machka9
    kymarai wrote: »
    Please tell me that I am not the only one that knows what needs to be done, but am having difficulty getting started because I can't figure out the best way to do something? I am going to get graph paper notebook to track progress with color pencils (idea from one of you). I have a 3 ring notebook to get started on goals, medical, passwords, etc (I have had for 3 years). I do use my daily planner notebook to write things down which has helped track good vs bad days. I think I will use the monthly calendar page in it to track my gratitude/exciting events each week. Of course I have MFP to track food/weight and Fitbit to track sleep and steps. Like the idea of seeing more of a weekly/yearly amount of steps, may add that to graph book. Again, several of you are awesome at all of those stats!

I know, one bite at a time leads to progress!

<3
    Kylia

Remember to keep it simple ... or as simple as possible. :)

I use:
    - Google Calendar to track events, appointments, etc.
    - Word where my Things To Do list exists. As I do things, I move them to the bottom of the list so that I can also see what I've done. Some Things To Do also exist in the Google Calendar, of course.
    - Strava which tracks my exercise.
    - MFP for food and exercise.
    - an Excel spreadsheet to enter my exercise. I have done that for 22 years now. I can easily graph things there if I want.

For me, using the computer is easier than notebooks etc. and I can have the info at my fingertips.

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Kylia, I have lots of great habits that I've acquired bit by bit over time. I didn't try to build too many at once. I have a piece of paper on the counter in the kitchen where I keep track of water and exercise on the same page as my list of things I want to remember to do during the day. I carry a pedometer to keep track of daily steps. I lay my dog walking clothes out in the bathroom at bedtime so I can put them on immediately in the morning to wear for my walk. I eat exactly the same breakfast every day so I don't waste energy with decisions. We eat many of the same meals over and over which makes grocery shopping easier. Once I had established a good habit or practice, I could start on another one. This has taken years of consistent effort. I found MFP at age 62 and have stuck with it daily since then.

:) The best books I've read to help me acquire and keep good habits are "Better Than Before" by Gretchen Rubin and "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. I found both of them at my local library.

:) This is possibly easier for me because I'm retired, but I acquired by daily walking habit when I was working full time. Something I read, inspired me to come home from work and immediately change shoes and head out the door with my walkman and pedometer.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,285 Member
    edited December 2022
    Good morning ladies! The last Friday of 2022. :)

Kylia - so glad you are back with us. You have some great strategies and I vacationed vicariously with you throughout the years at the cabin. <3 Hope the business can weather new competition.

On sugar and inflammation - Glad to see I'm not the only one! Ginny - I consulted Dr. Google to see if I was getting rheumatoid arthritis or worse. I didn't appear to have all of the RA symptoms but DH often complained of painful and swollen joints like this in his feet and hands. Of course, now I'm wondering since his RA was in remission if his pain and swelling was the result of poor diet. :/ Every day a hot dog for lunch, for years. One or two cups of sugar with coffee added each day, lol.

It's great that we are learning more about sugar. Terri, you are so right, all calories aren't equal once they hit our GI tract. Sugar does more than increase our waistline.

Feeling good now that I'm back eating better. :p

Machka - thank you for that link about kidney disease. There's conflicting information about how much protein we need as seniors. One expert says to avoid sarcopenia (muscle loss) we need to up the protein a bit more than a younger adult. Another expert recognizes our aging kidneys might not be able to process protein like we did when younger.

I guess the bottom line is to keep up with the lab tests and good communication with our doctors and health care providers. We are all unique.

---

I spoke with a neighbor yesterday, she said her husband slipped on that ice we had last week and broke his arm up by the shoulder and also dislocated it. She's miffed because he went out in his slippers to fill the bird feeder and hit the stone walkway. :# . She said because of the location of the break, all they can do is have him wear a sling. And it's painful, he's still on opioids after nearly a week, doesn't have an appetite and is losing weight rapidly. Allie - what you said about men not aging well. Add an accident, broken bone and "bad patient" syndrome. :s The neighbor gal isn't in the best health herself, both of them just having gotten over Covid or some other crud that struck them on Thanksgiving.

Hair - A few weeks ago, I mentioned my hair is getting thinner. Not only does it appear there's less of it, what's left is a lot finer than the thick red hair I had 30 years ago. Heredity? Diet - maybe not enough protein? Stress? Likely combo.

Not sure that it's fixable at this stage in my life, but I am looking for recommendations for hair products. For years I used a thick rinse-out conditioner made for curly hair that didn't weight it down, added shine and kept it from getting frizzy. Of course they've quit making it. Ideas welcome.

I need to treat myself to a shop haircut after the first of the year.

Make it a good day, ladies. Back later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    Lisa - I'm with you on the tracking thing. I don't track or record anything any more, because, like you, I need to do it perfectly! I tracked my food and exercise on mfp for 10 years, then the Tim Spector info convinced me that was not necessary. I don't do it now. Every day is a new day, so I don’t need to know what I did yesterday.
    My days are all the same anyway! Same exercise - 600 calories, same writing work regime, similar meals. My habits are so ingrained now. I love my routines, they leave me room to do my creating, because I don't have to worry about the minutiae. We are also both fairly tidy. Nor do I take on many responsibilities. No pets, no indoor plants. Nothing I have to 'look after'. I don't garden. I don't volunteer for things. I like a life with lots of 'space'. I like a house with lots of space. I like a decluttered mind.
    I find if I shed my life of everything extraneous, I am much happier. Keep it simple. :D If I am writing, I'm happy. <3 My energy is precious.

That said, if you get joy from tracking, that's fine. It seems there are plenty on here who love list making and making charts etc. As Lisa said, if you can do it for the foreseeable future with ease and joy, then do it. But don't do it because you feel you 'ought' to. Don't do it if falling short would bring you misery. We beat ourselves up quite enough without adding extra weight. If it feels like a burden - it is. If it feels like joy and lightness, go for it.

My word is FREE. I love it. It makes me feel light.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    edited December 2022
    Heather,

I like the cards, but the one of the tree doesn't do the painting justice. Your painting is really wonderful and the card is nice. The card should be really wonderful, like the painting.

Re: the book cover. Very provocative. It makes me want to read the book. The line under the eyes makes me think of a transparent niqab. It adds to a sense of pensiveness. It distances the woman from the viewer, even though one can see her entire face. I want to find out what is underneath the invisible barrier. I like both versions of the cover.
    ___
    Lisa, You made me misty-eyed. I realize I irritate some people with my unsolicited advice. Thank you for finding value in some of it. I am still learning.
    ___
    Barbara, Ditto what Lisa said about your posts. I love them. You honor us by reading our posts so carefully and responding so personally/thoughtfully. I feel heard by you. Oh, and I wanted to tell you the rest of the story about the painting instructor. As she was folding my painting to put it in the scrap heap, the full sentence was, "I can use it for scrap...(fold)...unless you want to frame it." :D:D:D Listen, I could be offended, but the painting was truly fugly, and I know she won't be pulling any punches with me. I am sure I can learn from her, and I have enough ego strength to discard any criticism that isn't helpful. She doesn't intimidate me in the least, and by all accounts she is a good and dedicated teacher, so I will glean what I can from her, and also use other sources - my brother comes to mind - and perhaps someday I will be a painter.

___
    Ginny, Somehow I missed the penguin tattoo. I'm going to go back to look for it. Don't know how I managed that, as I was very interested to see how it turned out.

Update: This is stylin': Love it.
    92bttm56fpn3.jpeg

___
    Margaret, Those poinsettias... <3

___
    Rebecca, I got such a charge out of your photos of your video chats. And little Athena in her kimono is just precious.
    ___
    Terri, So glad you are feeling better. Covid is a bitc#.

___
    Allie, I am SO glad you mastered the art of posting photos. I really look forward to seeing the photos of His Cuteness.

___
    Pip,
    This could be a Christmas card:
    lwrcapox9dd2.jpeg

___
    Dr Katie
    I like your jammies! They look great on you!

___
    I am missing Penny and several others who were regulars and seem to have left the group. :/

___
    Gratitude
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? Robin Williams movies.

2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for: Very grateful for the cool fall weather and the lovely rains.

3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? I am grateful for my hair. It's a pretty color and has body/wave. I never have to fuss with it.

4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? I am incredibly grateful for the assistant marketing manager Stephanie at our retirement community, who is skillfully navigating us through the portal into our retirement community. Among other things, she tactfully negotiated to return the larger storage space that originally came with our apartment (it had been commandeered, lol), assigned us a prime parking space near the elevator in the parking garage, gave us a grace period before we have to start daily "check ins", took charge of a delivery of large awkward boxes in our absence, delivering them into our apartment with care, spontaneously recruited us to join into a trivia game that was already underway, and numerous other little thoughtful gestures. Plus she is super responsive to emails.

5 What is a book that changed your life? To Kill a Mockingbird

6 Think about something you’re good at: I'm good at packing a box with random items (like a puzzle).

7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? I am still learning this lesson. Do not talk at/overwhelm my younger brother with too much information or too many questions. He is vulnerable and becomes anxious and ultimately angry - because he feels inadequate, which makes him resentful.

8 A basic need that has been met: Basic needs: food, water, clothing, sleep, and shelter. All have been met with the possible exception of adequate sleep.

9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? Oh my gosh, there are so many great things about this neck of the woods. However, picking just one: I have a terrific network of friends and access to limitless resources in and around Richmond, VA where I live. So I would have to say "the people who live here".

10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? I am grateful for being rejected by my friend Liz in graduate school. We started out by ride-sharing to school and quickly became fast friends. Liz rejected my friendship when I betrayed a confidence involving another classmate Susan. I said something to Susan that tipped her off that Liz had revealed to me something personal about Susan that she had told Liz in confidence. Susan felt betrayed by Liz, and Liz felt betrayed by me. It was a life's lesson that I should have learned at a much younger age, but I learned it well and painfully this time, and paid dearly for it by losing Liz as a friend. It was excruciating. I apologized, but the damage had been done.

11 Something you use every day: I use my hot water kettle every day and I am consciously grateful for it every time I use it. I think, what a great little hot water kettle this is! every day, lol

12 Something you don’t need anymore.: I no longer need my beloved John Deere lawn tractor. Time to dispose of it.

13 Refuge – space you love in your home: In my new home (apartment), I love my very own room. It has things I love in it and is a calm oasis.

14 Item of clothing: I have a navy blue with white polka dots dress I love. Sometimes I wear red Danskins with it. And a string of fake pearls.

15 Taste: Comice pears with brie and Riesling

16 Touch: Casper the Cat's dense white fur (just a memory now)

17 Smell: Lily of the Valley

18 Sound: Snoring doggies

19 Sight: Nebraska sunrises and sunsets.

20 Texture: Silk

21 Color: Coke Bottle Green Sea Glass

22 A song that makes you happy: Scott Joplin Maple Leaf Rag

23 Type of weather you love: Summer lighting storms

24 Professional who helps you: Waiters, especially lately as we transition into our new community.

25 Something you take for granted: potable water

26 A TV show that you look forward to watching: CBS Sunday Morning
    27 A movie you watch over and over: The Holiday

28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had: July 20, 1977 - Harry Chapin at Merriweather Post Pavilion

29 A place you love to visit: Sanibel

30 A tool you find incredibly useful: Not sure this is a tool, but my Seal-A-Meal is a godsend. I’m also rather partial to my cordless drill, level, and tape measure. The strawberry huller gadget is pretty awesome, too. And the egg slicer.
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated: That’s easy. I check in with my MFP group every day. It’s a lifeline for me.

___

I'm so excited! My swimmer granddaughter is coming over today to swim, go to lunch, organize a closet, and play with the pups. Can't wait to see her!

___

Karen in Virginia

Never thought of that