WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2022

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    I like it, Heather.

Today is our NYE celebration... we try to do it early and stay home on NYE.

30 A tool you find incredibly useful: a "tool"? My computer; is that a tool?
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,813 Member
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate :Definition—Recognize the full worth of.

cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week.
    Average 7,000 steps a week.
    Update budget every 2 weeks
    Contact close family every week (4x)
    Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)
    Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140.
    Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week.
    Read 12 books at least this year.
    Pay off credit card debt by January 2024
    Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)
    Grateful:
    Spoiler
    1 What is something that makes you laugh? My two dogs, Wicket and Brownie every day the do something to make me laugh.
    2 Something about the current season you’re grateful for. The Christmas spirit making people nicer at this time of year.
    3 What about your body do you love/are you grateful for? My hair. It is white, pretty full with lots of body. Hairdressers always comment on how they like to work with my hair. Growing it out this winter. We will see how long I leave once the heat comes back!
    4 Who is someone in your life that you’re grateful for? My children and grandchildren.
    5 What is a book that changed your life? The Blooming of a Lotus by Thich Nhat Hann
    6 Think about something you’re good at. Customer service.
    7 What is a lesson you’re grateful you learned? To forgive myself.
    8 A basic need that has been met. My housing at the campground. Free for hosting
    9 What are you most grateful for in the city/town where you live? The blue skies and 300 days of sun!
    10 What rejection in your life are you most grateful for? Losing my job at the print shop. It allowed me to take early retirement, buy this camper after selling my house and travel!
    11 Something you use every day. My phone. I know I know, but like others, everything is on it!
    12 Something you don’t need anymore. A big house
    13 Refuge – space you love in your home: My bedroom
    14 Item of clothing—The coat I bought last January in TN
    December 15 Taste—sweets!
    December 16 Touch—The loving touches from my fur babies!
    December 17 Smell ——Baking bread
    December 18 Sound—birds singing
    December 19Sight —-Snow on the mountains (but not where I am! Lol)
    December 20 Texture—-The soft skin of a baby
    December 21 Color—Sky blue
    December 22 A song that makes you happy.—-Rock Around the Christmas Tree
    December 23 Type of weather you love. Sunshine and about 75 degrees
    December 24 —Professional who helps you. My therapist
    December 25 . Something you take for granted. The love of my family
    December 26 A TV show that you look forward to watching. The Simpson
    December 27 A movie you watch over and over.—Harry Potter
    December 28 An opportunity you’re grateful you had. To travel in June 2021 to visit families in TN and in New England.
    December 29 A place you love to visit.—The East Coast Ocean. I love to just walk the beaches.
    December 30 A tool you find incredibly useful.—I consider my cell phone a tool as I use it for ‘everything!’
    31 A daily habit you’re happy you’ve cultivated.
    Kindness Calendar:
    December 1. “Spread kindness and share the December calendar with others”: Sharing on here and hope it helps someone.
    December 2.:Contact someone you can’t be with to see how they are: to be determined. I ended up talking to my uncle and a friend, both who live 2,000 miles away!
    Decembrist 3. Offer to help someone who is having
    difficulty at the moment. - I helped a mom fix her son’s bicycle.
    December 4. Support a charity, cause, or campaign you really care about. - I use Amazon Smile to
    5contribute to St. Jude’s Children Hospital
    every time I buy something, including gifts
    December 5. Leave a positive message for someone
    else to find. Left a note for DH with a
    chocolate kiss!
    December 6.Give a gift to someone who is homeless or feeling lonely. I made a person smile who was having a very bad day trying to get a campsite. I gave them one.
    December 7. Give kind comments to as many people as possible today. Done! Campers and DH
    December 8. Do something helpful for a friend or family
    member- I made an appointment for DH to get new glasses.
    December 9. Notice when you’re hard on yourself or others and be kind instead.
    December 10. Listen wholeheartedly to others without judging them.
    December 11. Buy an extra item and donate it to a local food bank.
    December 12. Be generous. Feed someone with food, love, or kindness today!
    December 13. See how many different people you can smile at today.
    December 14. Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one
    December 15. Contact an elderly neighbor and brighten up their day.
    December 16. Look for something positive to say to everyone you speak to.
    December 17. Give thanks. List the kind things others have done for you!
    December 18. Ask for help and let someone else discover the joy of giving.
    December 19. Contact someone who may be alone or feeling isolated. - Going to cal my Uncle
    December 20. Help others by giving away something that you don’t need
    December 21. Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you!
    December 22. Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed.
    December 23. Choose to give or receive the gift of forgiveness.
    December 24.Bring joy to others. Share something which made you laugh.
    December 25. Treat everyone with kindness today, including yourself!
    December 26. Get outside. Pick up litter or do something kind for nature. We give breadcrumbs to the Southern
    Meadowlarks that come around our RV every winter. And we pick up litter every day!
    December 27. Call a relative who is far away to say hello and have a chat. (Did this yesterday. Called my uncle and talked to him for over 1.5 hrs)
    December 28. Be kind to the planet. Eat less meat and use less energy.
    December 29.Turn off digital devices and really listen to people.
    December 30. Let someone know how much you appreciate them and why.

RVRita in NM
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    11:06 am —-DH is sleeping, I’m thinking of sleeping, too. Headache today. I’ve taken tylenol, I think the nap is calling.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked but the plan for tomorrow is to do Denise austin’s Quick Burn Cardio DVD

DrKatie – remember when we were younger and no matter how comfortable something was, if it wasn’t fashionable, we didn’t wear it? Now we wear clothes a lot for comfort

Tatoos: When I turned 40 I thought it would be way cool to get a second piercing in my ear. Today I regret that decision. So I’m afraid to get a tatoo. I may think it’s cool today but in 10 years? That’s just me. Ginny – I’m looking forward to seeing a pic of your tatoo

Karen – great suggestion to Kim to buy her own gift! But I would suspect that her mother wouldn’t like it, no matter what it was and wouldn’t want to give it to her

Heather – I am very impressed with all the new things you are doing

Rebecca – I’m so sorry about your kidney. Will you have to monitor your protein intake?

The weather here is really weird. At Christmas time it was down in the 20’s. Now for Nyear’s it’s supposed to be up in the 50’s. Go figure!

One thing I realized while we were at Jess’ was that the pants I was wearing, I must have bought about 15-17 years ago and they still fit! To me, that was something.

Think I’ll go for my walk.

Michele NC

Doctor didn't mention anything about protein.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

You might ask ... that's one thing I have to watch with my kidney damage. Fortunately, I don't consume much protein, especially not much animal protein.

M in Oz

Unfortunately the anti rejection meds he's on to keep his liver going slowing will affect his kidneys. Its a balancing act of taking just enough so his liver is good, but not too much.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

I meant for you and your kidney issues. Protein is hard on kidneys.

M in Oz

Oh gotcha! Today is shopping day. I am buying a bit more veggies, so I can have different types of veggies every day. Variety is the space of life. The nice thing is that I know I'll eat them. Every last one. 😁
    Rebecca
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    ‘What foods cause inflammation?
    There's more bad news: The problem foods are ones that happen to be abundant throughout the typical American diet.

The five types of foods that cause inflammation include:

Red meat and processed meats, including bacon, hot dogs, lunch meats and cured meats
    Refined grains, including white bread, white rice, pasta and breakfast cereals
    Snack foods, including chips, cookies, crackers and pastries
    Sodas and other sweetened drinks
    Fried foods

What these foods all have in common is that they contain added sugars, saturated fats and/or trans fats. With the exception of red meat, these are also all considered processed foods.

Alcohol can also cause inflammation.

What's more, alcohol is often combined with the aforementioned inflammation-promoting foods. When combined with refined grains, added sugars or mixed with soda, alcoholic drinks become a double whammy.”

RVRita in Nm

Rita - I love this! Great compilation. Where did you find it? I've been making an effort to shift away from most of these foods, only fall off the wagon was the "Snack food" category this past week.

Lanette
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,935 Member
    Good morning ladies! The last Friday of 2022. :)

Kylia - so glad you are back with us. You have some great strategies and I vacationed vicariously with you throughout the years at the cabin. <3 Hope the business can weather new competition.

On sugar and inflammation - Glad to see I'm not the only one! Ginny - I consulted Dr. Google to see if I was getting rheumatoid arthritis or worse. I didn't appear to have all of the RA symptoms but DH often complained of painful and swollen joints like this in his feet and hands. Of course, now I'm wondering since his RA was in remission if his pain and swelling was the result of poor diet. :/ Every day a hot dog for lunch, for years. One or two cups of sugar with coffee added each day, lol.

It's great that we are learning more about sugar. Terri, you are so right, all calories aren't equal once they hit our GI tract. Sugar does more than increase our waistline.

Feeling good now that I'm back eating better. :p

Machka - thank you for that link about kidney disease. There's conflicting information about how much protein we need as seniors. One expert says to avoid sarcopenia (muscle loss) we need to up the protein a bit more than a younger adult. Another expert recognizes our aging kidneys might not be able to process protein like we did when younger.

I guess the bottom line is to keep up with the lab tests and good communication with our doctors and health care providers. We are all unique.

---

I spoke with a neighbor yesterday, she said her husband slipped on that ice we had last week and broke his arm up by the shoulder and also dislocated it. She's miffed because he went out in his slippers to fill the bird feeder and hit the stone walkway. :# . She said because of the location of the break, all they can do is have him wear a sling. And it's painful, he's still on opioids after nearly a week, doesn't have an appetite and is losing weight rapidly. Allie - what you said about men not aging well. Add an accident, broken bone and "bad patient" syndrome. :s The neighbor gal isn't in the best health herself, both of them just having gotten over Covid or some other crud that struck them on Thanksgiving.

Hair - A few weeks ago, I mentioned my hair is getting thinner. Not only does it appear there's less of it, what's left is a lot finer than the thick red hair I had 30 years ago. Heredity? Diet - maybe not enough protein? Stress? Likely combo.

Not sure that it's fixable at this stage in my life, but I am looking for recommendations for hair products. For years I used a thick rinse-out conditioner made for curly hair that didn't weight it down, added shine and kept it from getting frizzy. Of course they've quit making it. Ideas welcome.

I need to treat myself to a shop haircut after the first of the year.

Make it a good day, ladies. Back later.

Lanette B

SW WA State[/quote

After having covid two years ago(tomorrow), I lost about half my hair. I got the Amazon brand of Rogain- it comes in a three months supply. I noticed a difference around the third month- I bought a second box but stopped using it- want to start again, to use it up. Thankfully my hair is very curly and also long so it wasn't very noticeable when it was falling out- I noticed it when I washed it or put my hair in a braid. That is what the doctor told me to try(after doing about a dozen blood tests to make sure there was nothing else going on
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,782 Member
    My parents didn't talk to us about money. My dad didn't work steady and mom was a nurse and always worked. Dad always had these big ideas and was going to get rich. We were always living day by day. I have learned over the years to save and pay debts as they come due. I get nerous if we get low in either checking or savings.
    No big plans for New Years eve. Our church is having game night, might go to that and then Sunday after church having Christmas with some of the other kids. Weather is decent today, snow coming down yesterday was so pretty.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • dlfk202000
    Mom was on an very strict anti-inflammitory diet-
    no grains,
    no night-shade vegetables(tomatoes, peppers, potatoes,eggplant, etc)
    no caffeine, not even decaf.

I don't remember the rest of it but it was a LOT- She did it for her knees. She lost weight quickly on it but ended up loosing too much. She still follows it some what but not as strict as she was.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    DH'S twin sister, who was separated from him when she was adopted as a tiny baby, has been gradually deteriorating with memory problems. She has lost all confidence and rarely goes out, or speaks on the phone. DH sent a Christmas card to her daughter, asking for some info, as the husband is much older and not nice at all. :#
    He has decided to write his twin a personal letter, by hand. I have encouraged him to go up there, a long journey, but I'm sure he won't. It's nice that he's taken the trouble to write to her.
    They found each other in their late 40s, when they were both looking for their natural mother. Of course, he is worried that he has inherited the same tendency, but she is very different in temperament to him and has led a very different life.
    Life brings many sadnesses.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    LillyBelle is going to become a big sister on Monday.
    p0s2xknwezfp.jpeg

amazing news!!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Worked, then went to get Vince’s allergy shot and med and stopped at the Salvation Armyi. Home and Vince had lunch while I took a walk to talk to the guy who did our lawn. Then WalMart for a prescription for Loki then I took a walk to the vet for another prescription for Loki. Only got a tablecloth at the SA. We can probably use it for the pool party. I know we at least need a tablecloth for the 5’ table.

Kylia – I always feel sluggish after I have something high in fat. That’s why I can’t remember the last time I had a hot dog or a hamburger.

Going to give Vince waffles for dinner tonight. Mainly because I got a new waffle maker for Christmas and I want to be sure it works before I get rid of the old one. Update: I declare it OK

Lisa – looking forward to a pic of that cake

Trimmed my bangs last night and I think I cut them a bit too short. Oh well...they’ll grow (probably faster than I would like)

Today I had planned to run the vacuum and wash the kitchen floor. Guess I should get to that. Then tomorrow after work I’ll try to get as much of the food ready as possible. I’ll get the pork chops ready so Vince can put them in the oven, make the meringue for the pie, dish out the applesauce, make the macaroni for the mac and cheese (I’ll make the cheese when I get home from church), get veges in the pans to heat up. Update: ran vacuum and cleaned floor

Katla – hope you feel better fast

Anne DE – “buying less red meat”. I don’t think this is going to be much of a problem seeings how it’s so high in cost. I went to Aldi the other day – $4.29 for a dozen eggs. Then I went to WalMart. Boy, did I get a bargain for the eggs at Aldi! Sad….very sad

Michele NC
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,329 Member
    Kylia-Pray tell-how do you live in the Miami Valley and nearly never take anything for sinuses?