Shape Shifters Team Chat - FEBRUARY 2023

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    edited February 2023
    @SavageMrsMoose - Wow! You’re doing a lot 🤩

Some exercises make me hungrier than others so I understand those times when it’s important to eat back the calories burned. Your bike ride probably built some muscle, so your body might be hanging on to water for repair. I hope you can keep your discouragement from derailing you — Hang in there! Am I remembering correctly that you’re really close to a milestone loss? I’m rooting for you!!

I was participating in a virtual rowing challenge and logged some decent time but my routine was interrupted by a trip to Boston and not enough ergs available at the YMCA on a couple of days when I couldn’t make it to my winter conditioning session at the boathouse. I really felt as though I had let down the other team members, especially when we finished just shy of our goal: To row from Alexandria, Virginia to Alexandria, Egypt.

I’m so impressed at your steps and hope you enjoyed your cross country skiing! Can you alternate long bike days with running days to eliminate the need for two workouts per day maybe? I’m sure you’ll find a solution that works for you but I hope you can give yourself some grace by recognizing all you are doing instead of focusing on what you’re not doing.

I remember times when I have turned to emotional eating because I don’t think I’m doing enough and I can see it’s self-sabotaging but I still sometimes give in. 🙄 Don’t be me in this case! I’d suggest taking a deep breath and reflecting a bit on what you’ve accomplished while drinking a big glass of water. Maybe winching your thirst will help you feel more grounded before eating — but who asked me! My apologies for offering unsolicited advice. 😬
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @Armygirlarmyof1 — Congratulations on the work changes that will likely reduce your stress. Best wishes with your move! Will you need to commute 1.5 hours to and from work every day? Or is the store located somewhere between where you live now and where you plan to move? It’s nice that you’re looking forward to living closer to family. Enjoy!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,262 Member
    JenHul wrote: »
    JenHul
    Monday Weigh in day
    PW: 178.0
    CW:178.0

Steps Feb.16= 8304
    Feb 17= 10,012
    Feb 18= 4731
    Feb 19= 2878
    Feb 20= 8624

@cre804 Thank you for all that info in your post! I will check out that link. Also thank you @PatriceFitnessPal for you well wishes.
    Steps are low, weight is not moving. I understand I need to move more, due to my sore heels it's very difficult.
    I just purchased a recumbent bike so I will be trying that out tonight after supper when I usually go for a walk. I'm hoping I enjoy it, and with it not being all my weight on my heels I'm hoping this will help with weight goals.
    Question: when on the bike, does your fitbit recognize this exercise or do you manually input workout?

Have a great Day everyone!

Hi I have a recumbent bike and I strap my Fibit above my ankle so it records my steps even though it may say walk or elliptical on my Fitbit app
  • LaurieWrobo
    Good morning shape shifters!

Feeling a bit discouraged today. I rode 36 miles on the peloton yesterday until my butt was totally numb, but then was starving and had no motivation to run on the treadmill. I supposedly was under my calorie goal by a hair, but I ate back every exercise calorie and I don't really trust those. Not surprisingly, the scale is still up.

I'm going to try to get back on track today, although I'm determined to catch up with my annual bike challenge, I also need to run. I just find it hard to do two workouts in a day.

Steps: 2/19 18,650 My tracker counts cross country skiing!

2/20 6,936 my tracker does not count bike riding!

It's a beautiful day here, although a snow storm is supposedly coming tonight. Take care everyone!

Could you put your tracker strapped on your
    leg? That's what I do for my recumbent bike
    Maybe you need a rest day to settle some inflammation you may have in your body?
    We are getting a huge storm in WI - Winter storm wstch starting tomorrow
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,102 Member
    @JenHul — I don’t know how the Fitbit works but I think @jessicakrall8 has a resource that helps translate various workouts into steps if the Fitbit doesn’t recognize it. Great idea to use a bike so your heels (and probably knees) get some relief while you’re exercising!

@JenHul I wish I had a handy dandy app, but I just google it...there are lots of sites that will tell you the equivalent of say 2 hrs of rowing and it's equal in steps...or same with a step machine or swimming, etc. Let me know if you can't find it and give me the info and I'll do some digging for you.

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,102 Member
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Daily check in ~ February 20
    Steps: 17.541
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I had another productive day. I cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes and cleared out and reorganised all the cabinets. It feels a lot more tidy now and I also got rid of some things so I have extra room as well. I washed all of Tinus' blankets which was nice. They never get really dirty, just a bit hairy. The picture is him stealing my blanket and puzzlespot. Happy Tuesday everyone <3

y2dhbu0i1fck.jpg

@Pupowl Tinus has the best spot in the house...love that picture!! What a sweetheart!
    Jessica
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 525 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal , no the store is close to where I live right now. No, I won't commute once I move to be with Anthony. I'll look for something there, maybe. I get 100% disability from the VA so I don't have to really work at all. I just do it cause it's good sti.ulation
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal

Thank you for the great advice! It probably is water retention. Also, there was a shooting near CU campus yesterday that upset me more than I realized. No one was injured thank goodness but my daughter was in class less than 1/2 mile away. I’m sure other parents with college students feel the same way when this happens. You get the alert or text from your child and you just get scared. I’m sure the stress contributed to my hunger and water retention.

I remember your challenge !!! Such a clever idea! Funny how life can get in the way of these challenges! Still, I like the long term challenges, they keep me motivated.

I’m going to keep my bike rides to easy run days/ as soon as I catch up! I should have about 360 miles by the end of the month. At 268 miles so far, with 7 days left in the month I should get close, but probably not all the way. Hopefully in March.
  • PatriceFitnessPal

I'm 5'6" "ish" tall so yesterday's weight put me .2 pounds above a healthy BMI. I'm getting close. Hoping I can get there by my weigh-in Friday…

My daughter, her fiancee and a friend are coming to visit for a long weekend. There is an annual fashion show that is an AIDS benefit that we will go to Friday night. I had a friend succumb to the disease in the 80s so its a cause close to me. Plus, its always great entertainment!

The most important goal for me was moving into the healthy BMI range. You’re very active so my guess is that you’re probably already there but it feels so good to see the milestone progress. It will feel great to see yourself in the healthy BMI range — Good for you!

I’m sorry to hear your friend was diagnosed with AIDS during a time when there was so much misunderstanding, hysteria, and judgment. I’m sure your friend must have been comforted by your friendship. My aunt had a boyfriend who she cared for while he was being treated and she supported him through his death due to AIDS. Then, she dedicated many years to serving the HIV-positive/AIDS community. It seems as though treatment is so much better now and stigma is declining, but we could really prevent a lot of suffering by paying attention to the problems faced by disenfranchised communities. The problems never stay at the margins!!

On the positive side, it’s amazing to see so many people living longer and the quality of care - and quality of life - improving. The fashion show sounds like so much fun! I wonder if they have similar events in other locations. 🤔
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited February 2023
    Here is todays card. The timing is great for me personally, but I think this one is nice to keep in mind every day.
    68t10bo18f0i.jpg
  • LaurieWrobo
    Steps:
    2/19 5,378
    2/20 11,609
    2/21 6,683
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @Pupowl - I like the idea of approaching each day as a clean start. Sometimes, I have to chunk it down further by looking at every decision as an opportunity to start acting like the person I want to be. I’m so glad you feel back on track!

Great work @LaurieWrobo!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,553 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    Totally agree! That is why I am not a fan of new years resolutions. Why wait? If there is something you want to change, just do it now. Same goes for overeating during one meal and thinking "now my whole day is ruined!". It isn't! There are still plenty of choices you can make for the rest of the day.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @jessicakrall8 - I might need to skip my weigh-in this week. I’m traveling to Austin, TX and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to access a scale on Thursday.

Should I let you know for sure tomorrow morning or just request the change now?
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 192 Member
    Hi everyone! Just posting a quick step/exercise check-in:

2/17 15,295
    2/18 18,689
    2/19 16,529
    2/20 13,301
    2/21 14,847

Was on the ice again for 4 hours over the weekend, from a combination of coaching two teams and one game of my own. We're getting near the end of the hockey season and it's really awesome to see how much the players have developed since September. A lot of kids will continue playing through the spring, but our family is ready for a break from it and to move onto something different.

As every weekend has been lately, by Sunday night my legs felt like bricks and I was physically exhausted. Did a bit of active recovery on Monday by taking our dog for a hike through the woods. It's been cold here this week but sunny and beautiful!
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    @LaurieWrobo Congratultions on the loss!

@pedal__power coaching/playing hockey definitely takes a lot of energy , but so much fun! I've never played, but my husband did. Our daughter was a competitive figure skater for years so we were always at the ice rink, so he figured, why not?? I love a good hockey movie too. Slap Shot is a classic.

@PatriceFitnessPal This fashion show was started in the 90s by a local high school girl ages ago to honor a theater friend that died of aids. It gets bigger and better each year- this year being directed by someone from Broadway. Its really fantastic! They also do a high school production which my daughter was in her senior year. They get locals of all sizes to be models for the show. Every year I watch the show and wish I was confident enough to try out, but alas, I'm not very graceful. I think of Rick every year too. I wish I could tag him in the inevitable Facebook post, but at least I can tag his mom. I miss him. He was an inspiration to me. He went to IU in the music school, where my son studies business. @Nancyinmo - your the one with a daughter who goes there, correct??? You know, then, IU music school is a BIG DEAL.

AND -super exciting news! The scale said 153.8 this morning!!! Officially in a healthy BMI!!! Here's hoping it stays that way- its been bouncing around quite a bit.... but definitely going in the right direction!

Hope everyone has a great day! It's snowing here! The wind is blowing so much its occasionally a white out. The avalanche bombs are going off.... very Telluride! Going to feed my husbands birds and venture out with the dogs. Then staying inside!
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 375 Member
    Good Idea @LaurieWrobo to put fitbit on ankle, it would be the same motion as swinging your arm when walking!
    @jessicakrall8 I did see I could manually add an exercise on fitbit app. They did not have recumbent bike, they had biking 10mph, 12mph or 15mph. You add your start and ending time and it calculates calories burned. I don't believe it transfers it to steps, just adds it as a workout.
    I was only able to go on bike for 20mins at medium setting last night. I got off and my legs felt like jelly lol
    I am going to put fitbit on ankle tonight and see how it goes. Have a good Day everyone!
  • TexanMom8152
    TexanMom8152 Posts: 76 Member
    TexanMom8152
    Weigh Day - Tuesday (my morning was out of sync yesterday so the scale got missed)
    PW 226.4
    CW 226.2

Not much of move this week, but I did have a significant non-scale victory. A1C of 5.2 on my blood work last week!!!

I'm headed to DC next week, so will be weighing in on Monday.
This discussion has been closed.