WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    Options
    March, 2023 Action for happiness.org

Word of the year: Appreciate : today I appreciate my dogs.
    Exercise goals added
    Yoga 10 mins 3 times a week 7/15-(100%,100%)
    Walk 7,000 every day 19/31 (84%,86%,)
    Arm weights twice a week 3/10 (100%, 60%hurt my elbow, hurt my shoulder)
    Meditation: daily. 18/31 (82%(started Feb))

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 9/8–(100%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 9484, 9104, 9417 (7,700,100%-9851,100%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 —(100%,100%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 9/158/ —(100%,100%)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)25/64–(100%,100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2—(100%,100%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 10/20-(100%,88%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 9/12 (100%,100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR——3/12—(100%.100%,100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71(100%,100%,100)
    Decided that if I do more than stated I will not grade higher than 100% 2/5/23

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met
    April met
    May met
    June met
    July met — met
    August met
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world. The blue water of Lea Lake, Snow on the mountains at a distance, walking a nature trail. All at Bottomless Lakes State Park.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I am healthy and above ground. I can walk,talk,hear, see, taste, and smell (mostly). I appreciate that I alive and have a healthy body.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. I will try…
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. I sent texts to my long distance friends to send them love.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. Most days are like that for me. So much less stress!
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day. Sounds like a plan.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food. Started at breakfast.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I will need to keep this in the front of my mind all day.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face. Every day!
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. In the process of doing that right now!
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. I will have to really try to get this done today.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. I love doing this!
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do. I made a necessary task to go for a liver scan enjoyable by buying lunch for myself for a change.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. I really need to do this today! Didn’t remember to do this.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity. I have stones to paint. Will be distributing along the trails in exchange for free peddle boat and paddle board rentals. Didn’t do this. Too windy out. I colored instead.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant. Will do. 1. Lady wanting us to cut a lock off of her propane tank. 2. The rock formations around the park. 3. The lake surface when wind blows over it.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down. I will consciously try to do this. I completed this!
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are. Easy here. I do it every day! Appreciation list in spoiler
    The blues,of the lake
    20. BirdsTweeting in the sky and trees
    21. Birds drinking water out of a plastic cover
    22. Kids laughing
    23. Salty look of the sand
    24. The piles of dirt along dug out canal
    25. The blue sky with wispy clouds
    26. The strong cold wind
    27. The boardwalk
    28. The hides to watch birds
    29. The blue ponds made by the canal
    30. The ducks swimming in the ponds
    31. The quack of the ducks
    32. The snow cap mountains in the distance
    33. The white dry spots of salt and Lyme along the trail
    34. The dead branches and bushes along the budding ones
    35. A spot of green here and there
    36. The red of branches preparing for spring
    37. The bubbling water in the canal
    38. The beginning green of the salt Cedars
    39. The baby fish in the puddling waters of canal overflow
    40. The mud sludge gathering under the bridge
    41. The brown prairie grass bending in the wind
    42. The tall swamp grass bowing down
    43. The bubbling water as it splashed out from under the bridge
    44. The white salty mounds along the dirt trail
    45. Holes dug by animals for burrows
    46. Tumbleweeds trapped in the brush
    47. The coo of a dove welcoming me back from the walk
    48. 20.Focus on what makes you and others happy today. Going to try!
    49. 21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else. I need to make time to do this.
    50. 22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    51. 23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    52. 24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    53. 25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    54. 26. Choose to spend less times looking at screens today.
    55. 27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    56. 28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    57. 29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    58. 30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    59. 31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
    Barbie's Happiness Commandments

Be Barbie
    Lighten up
    Do it now
    Dance more
    Choose strategy over willpower
    Cultivate an attitude of gratitude
    Come from a place of love
    Stay in the moment
    Act the way you want to feel
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
    Don't expect praise or recognition
    It is what it is
    Don't take things personally
    Treat yourself like a toddler
    What's fun for other people may not be fun for you, and vice versa
    You can choose what you do, but you can't choose what you like
    Be kind, no exceptions
    Ask always, how could my life be better with less?

RVRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,822 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I realize that I only drink 16 to 32 ounces of water a day. I used to drink more when I could count pop as liquid. I looked it up and I should be drinking at least 100 ounces of water per day. I know that liquid other than water counts. But I have a hard time, even drinking half of that amount. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to drink more water? And that even counts my 2 cups of broth.

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Every time I have a hot flash, I drink a glass of water or diet pop. Something cold. I have at least 3 hot flashes a day.

Also, if I don't drink quite a bit, my kidneys ache. It's good incentive.

M in Oz
    The problem with me is I have my hot flashes in the middle of the night. I usually drink water at that time but during the day I don’t really have an urge to drink water. I usually drank a pop not diet with my meal. I don’t know how I got into that habit 😳 now I was told by my doctor that drinking just one soda kills your gut biome for a week. I haven’t researched it to see if that’s true but I stopped drinking it. I don’t think that I like water as much. I wonder if diet soda would work. It doesn’t have all the sugar!

Try putting cut fruit slices in the water. Cut the fruit and keep it in the fridge. Toss a couple sliced in water before drinking. Having a drink cup of at least 20 oz. Always at hand helps.
    Another thing that I do is buy flavored water or flavored seltzer if you like the fizz. You can always buy plain and add your own flavors with flavor enhancers like MIO or powdered lo-cal drink mixes.

The biggest help is always having a drink cup filled near you. Fill it only when empty so you can count how much you drink. You end up drinking mindlessly, and sip without thinking making it a habit.

I hope this helps Mary!

RVRita
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies. Nice sunny day and spring has officially arrived as of yesterday. Minus 8C this morning and took a long walk with my dog (Buddy). Hair cut scheduled for tomorrow morning then off for some major grocery shopping at a bigger center about an hour drive away. Getting my hair cut nice and short in preparation of my Ireland trip. Have a dual voltage curling iron but hoping I won't have to fuss too much with my hair...just shampoo and blow dry while on holidays would be ideal.

Looking forward to the snow going but I think it will be a few weeks yet. Have pear trees in the yard and they are usually the first to bloom and leaf followed by my apple trees. Anticipating fewer apples this year as we did a hard prune of all the trees late in the fall. They were pretty neglected and in need of attention.

Just popped in to do my food logging and had a nice read enjoyable read through the posts.

Joy
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Rebecca I still put honey in my tea and on my oatmeal. I use stevia with my yogurt, but tea has to taste like honey for me. It's my guilty pleasure. That and my daily chocolate! As long as I count the calories, I figure a little bit is worth it.

Annie in Delaware

One thing I discovered about honey. If you have a jar that has crystallized, put it in a bowl and just take a beater to it, making whipped honey. You can add a couple drops of vanilla to it. Yesterday I did some, having it on toast with peanut butter. It was so good!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Today is 2 fish fillets in two street taco sized tortillas. I will make some homemade Cole slaw for the side. Having a bowl of grapefruit and mandarin oranges segments and a glass of fresca with ACV in it. I will have some Golden milk in the afternoon. Just heated milk with a tsp of each cinnamon, turmeric, and powdered ginger whipped in. Its so yummy, and I like how it heats my innards. Then close up my eating window tight!
    Later this evening I am making lasagna which is fairly labor intensive but I won't taste test anything. Not my time, not my food. If I want any its leftovers tomorrow. I am going to save some of the sauce, and will have some zucchini lasagna with a couple of spicy Italian meatballs.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Regarding resistance bands----the best exercise is the one that you'll do. Resistance bands are less expensive. easier to store, and lighter weight than hand weights so that might make them more attractive to someone starting out. Also the feel safer to do something overhead. But since I already have hand weights, wrist weights, and ankle weights, they don't seem as attractive to me.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I use resistance bands for leg exercises to intensify things like clamshells and leg lifts, as well as side stepping. I am looking for heavier ankle weights so I can do more hamstring work.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Tina - Envious of your diving trip. Apart from the coldy husband! I have only dived once (apart from practicing in swimming pools) and that was in the Red Sea. Wonderful! I remember a huge scallop scampering across the sand and the gorgeous corals and fish. I also saw a huge moray eel.

Picked up Bea from school. I stopped off on the way home at our Mediterranean shop. Bought two packs of frozen artichoke hearts, falafel paste, and tahini. Then off to the Arabic wholesalers and bought frozen tilapia for our fish soups.
    Tonight we are having pigs cheeks, stewed in beer, with kale as a side. Unfortunately, we couldn't resist accompanying Bea with her choc ice dessert. :o:p Oh well.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I don't like plain water, only drink it during Zumba usually.
    This time of year, when it is so cold, I have a cup of tea with me from the time I get up until I go to bed. Regular with caffeine or ones with extra caffeine some days until 1-2PM then switch to decaf or herbal for the rest of the day. I have only been up a few hours and I am already on my second cup.
    During the summer I drink a LOT of seltzer, plain or flavored. We have our own SodaStream plus buy when ever Safeway has the damaged packages marked 1/2 off. We have at least one in each car so if we get thirsty when we are out we can just grab one.That started by accident one time and now we make sure to do it all summer. I still start my day during the summer with a cup of tea and another in the evening. I drink some cool tea during the day too(no iced because ice = instant asthma attack(hoping the new meds will help with that, haven't tried yet)
    I have never liked sodas. Too sweet. The only soda I drink and it is once a year is root beer for a root beer float. Once a summer seems to be enough.
    I keep a cup or glass of something to drink with me all the time at my desk(and I am there way too much)or when watching tv. Keeps me from snacking as much.
    I have a TON of different teas so switch up the flavors. I tend to go for the chia or cinnamon. Not a big fan of most of the fruit teas.I will drink them if my others aren't sounding good that night.
    Stock up on my favorites and also really stocked up when we went the two times to the Celestial Seasoning Factory in Bolder. LOVED that place. Found out from them, tea never expires.
    Favorite one that I have shared with friends and they love it too, is the Good Earth Sweet and Spicy.
    STRONG cinnamon taste. One friend used to drink way too much Fire Ball whiskey. Tried this and rarely drinks the whiskey now. This tastes the same and better for her. Former hubby is now hooked on it too. A nice just sweet enough so you think you are having a sweet treat but 0 calories.
    Grocery Outlet has it $8 for four boxes which is a great deal. Amazon has it but more than twice the price.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Don't think I will walk today. It is cold with a high of about 50 and raining AGAIN. Rain again tomorrow too. Hope that is the end of it for at least a few days.
    Good thing I did extra yesterday- almost an hour and a half walking the wetlands then another hour of zumba so over 18,000 steps/17floors/8.2 miles/2361cal(so my fitbit app says.)

Looking forward to nice longer days so I can walk with my friends again. I enjoy the wetlands alone but doing it all the time is a bit boring some days. Love walking and catching up with friends too. One friend tends to push a bit and we do a lot longer walks which is great. The other is happy just doing the hour. Both are nice changes for me.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    [quote="

The biggest help is always having a drink cup filled near you. Fill it only when empty so you can count how much you drink. You end up drinking mindlessly, and sip without thinking making it a habit.

I hope this helps Mary!

RVRita

This is what I do,it really helps(except I don't wait until it is empty. I go top off /warm up my tea when it is about half or has gotten too cold).
    I know I am drinking alot because I am running to the bathroom so often ;)

I need to cut back on how much I drink at night to cut down the times I wake up to use the bathroom.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks ladies for all of your ideas on how to consume more water! I like the different ideas that each of you have. One thing that I’m going to start to do is add the fruit to my water. Since I live in Arizona, we have lots available! Several of you mentioned setting up a routine for drinking it. I’m going to have to really concentrate on this. I never really thought about it much before. Then I realized that some days I didn’t even drink a full bottle of water. I mostly drank pop. I think the pop turned into my comfort drink! Now that I am able to exercise, I want to eliminate pop for most days. I don’t drink much alcohol so when we go out, I have a soda. I like the idea of substituting maybe flavored water. The only thing I have to make sure is not to get any artificial sweeteners in it. Supposedly they cause leaky gut. I don’t know what that is but I just heard it while I was watching the souping infomercial. I’m going to put some of your suggestions to work!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • sh0tzz99
    Options

Well yesterday the yard man charged the battery on the disability van for me. I went to drive the van and it died while I was driving it. I waited 2 hours for the Triple AAA to come help me! The van is in my driveway and I plan to private tow it to the Dealer and get a new battery. A rather unexpected expense! The proper person came and picked up the hoyer lyft to donate to the ALS Foundation. Every donation or change to the house is bittersweet. I cry an ocean! I wish it would warm up here so I can garden. I long to be outside!!!! I will take a walk today at the nearby college in the cold today!!!

Here, AAA will come to you and replace the battery in the vehicle. I have found it to be the same price as putting it in myself and it is far more convenient.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Tina - Envious of your diving trip. Apart from the coldy husband! I have only dived once (apart from practicing in swimming pools) and that was in the Red Sea. Wonderful! I remember a huge scallop scampering across the sand and the gorgeous corals and fish. I also saw a huge moray eel.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We didn't expect to enjoy this trip as much as we did. There were many diverse dive sites. Some reefs, some walls, several WWII wrecks. They had really big eels there too and the biggest giant clam I've ever seen (nearly as big as me). I had hoped I'd lose a pound or two from all the diving, but the food was just too good.

Plus, it was nice to be warm for 3 weeks!

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Karen-Hope you figure out your spouse's medication side effect issues and hope the resolution is simple (i.e. just stop taking the offender).

Lisa-Yay for pain free days! I wish many more for you!

Barbara-Sorry you're sick! Hope you're tip top soon!

Rori-Same best wishes to you.

Carla-Sorry for your loss.

Allie, Vicki-enjoy your trips.

I am envious of all of you gardeners. I do not like the gardening part, but I like the food it produces!

Well, it's a very unpleasant-looking day outside, but I need to get out in it and pick up more anti-malarials. My nurse practitioner didn't prescribe enough for me initially. So, out I go and part with yet another co-pay. Ugh.

Tina in CA