WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,189 Member
    Today is: Anyone here every make cherries jubilee at home? I’ve never had it but would love to try it! 🧌

0hbmqphipxbi.jpeg
    rfccq33vhji8.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,575 Member
    Annie - we missed you. Sounds like you are feeling better, thank goodness. Hope you are back to normal soon. Good that you got the vaccines out of the way before your trip. I remember when I was too busy to post for a few days, I lost my streak too.

Lisa - sorry about your temperamental washer. Did you look on YouTube to see if there's a simple fix? Maybe that's where you found out that unplugging it could help. ;)

Margaret - I've been stuck at around 158 for a month now, eating similarly as you. As long as my clothes fit and I feel good, I have no desire to lose any more weight. I decided a while back the state of my health isn't determined by a number on the scale. Wish I'd have believed this when I was younger.

Tracey - just about the only time DH and I argued during our marriage was about finances. I was the money manager and generally the higher wage earner. DH was the spender and several times got us into financial hot water with his credit card craziness. Hope Rodger senses the importance of getting some $$ ahead with the holidays coming and decides to sign up for some work this winter.

I had a surprise this morning... lost my sense of smell! I realized I couldn't smell Vicks Vapo Rub. So I sliced up a clove of garlic. Couldn't smell THAT, which is just exactly how it happened 2 years ago. I messaged the doc's office to see how long I'll be contagious. Funny thing is, it seems we are contagious for this and most respiratory viruses a day or two before we even show symptoms. So I've probably already done my job as Covid Mary. :p

And now I'll have antibodies and aggressive T-Cell immunity well into the winter. That's a win.

I'm feeling fine, the only symptom I have this morning is the usual allergy stuffiness. I messaged Collette and told her if she wanted to reschedule, it's fine. All I really need is to have the carpeting vacuumed to get the dust and dirt removed since that job is hard on my back. I just wiped down the counters with Anti-Viral spray cleaner. She said she'll come this morning (I think she really needs the money.)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    Hi Gals,

So your discussions of spending and husbands triggered a memory of finances at my childhood home.

My Dad had a good job and was the bread winner, Mom was a stay-at-home mom, who stretched money by scratch cooking, making our clothes, and always having a big garden which we canned, dried, and froze stuff for later in the year. Mom did the bill paying, and everything to do with the checkbook, including putting money into both short term and long-term savings. Dad found and dealt with insurances (home,car,life – heath insurance was provided by his employer) taxes, and investing the long term savings. On Sunday after church but before we left the parking lot (NO idea why this was) Mom handed out cash for the week. The kids got allowance based on how we had done on getting our chores done. Dad told her about what he needed money for – lunches, how many tanks of gas, etc.. and he got his cash -once in a while mom would tell him there was not that much available…that was always a bit weird. Credit cards and the checkbook where in the desk and if you need money during the week then a discussion was had and maybe the check book came out – and that was the same for all of us.

I wonder if a cash only diet would help any of your DH’s from spending over the budget…. It’s a different world with online shopping – but the discussion part might help.

Still crazy busy with work some friends and I are doing a craft fair this weekend – more work! Keeping my fingers crossed with health care the issues have not been resolved but I can sign up (AND WILL) again in open enrollment and hopefully have Medicare again in January. Of course I am still paying each month in hopes that someone in the government suddenly has an ah-ha moment and fixes everything. If the bills that did not get paid are my responsibility or not is still up in the air. My mom is slowing down and has started to give things that are in the trust to be given out after death to the person she had listed. So that is weird, but it is less work for me after her death. A couple of weeks ago she started telling folks she would die in 2 weeks…. But that has a moving start date, so that is also very strange. But I just let her live in her own delusions as much as possible, they are weird but mostly harmless.

Thinking of you all,

Kim in N. California

PS someone asked about poisonous plants….. This is not a comprehensive list at all just the ones I happen to know Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Oleander(VERY poisonous), pyracantha berries, poinsettias, and peace lilies
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,782 Member
    Tracey - Forgot to say thanks for the images. I really appreciated the look at your daughter's wallet. That's exactly the kind of thing I like using as a jumping-off place to design something that's buildable and sellabale. Thank you!

Beth - Why don't you like the Maytag? I'm contemplating impeller-type (agitator-less) but I tend to be dubious.

Lanette - Sorry about the covid - hope you're already past contagion, and that your sense of smell comes back soon.

Woodworking this morning, got panels cut, finished and drilled to add some storage to my big working desk for the extra frames that I get at thrift stores, etc., and use for my paintings. Now it's just installing them. I'll take a pic.

Later, babies,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 4min 56sec, 55elev, 2.77ap, 84ahr, 118mhr, 3.05mi= 286c
    Strava app = 369c
    Slow jog on beach- 33.20min, 82elev, 146aw, 162spm, 153ahr, 180mhr, 10.44min mi, 3.10mi (5k)= 326c
    Strava app= 399c
    Walk beach to trailer- 5.14min, 3.73ap, .32mi= 35c
    Strava app= 39c

Total cal 647

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,516 Member
    Michele ~ Your new Disney piece is cutes as are all the other you have created. Makes me wonder where you put them all. I just can't imagine.

Lisa ~ We have a Maytag stove and the largest burner went bad during the first year. It would have cost almost as much as a new stove to repair. We have Whirlpool washer and dryer that are way too big for what we need, but, they sure do get the job done. Must say there are a lot of dings and whistles on the set. I love my Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator even though we did have to have the ice make serviced.

My husband and I kind of split the expenses. I pay the utilities, household repairs, a lot of the food, and Amazon orders etc. He pays the insurance and taxes. It works out about even even though my retirement income has been more than his. We do not use credit cards.

Kim ~ Good luck at your craft fair.

My decluttering has slowed down and I am replacing it with cleaning my house which has not been cleaned since we kept the son's dogs in June. You can imagine the dust, cob webs, and grime. I am giving myself one task a day and will eventually get things in better shape. I really wish I could replace all the blinds because I know they are filthy as are the window but hope that will get done at some points. This house is over 35 yrs old and has accumulated a lot of projects.

Carol in GA

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,516 Member
    Allie ~ Carmine is beautiful! So love seeing her holding the new one!

Rebecca ~ Continue to enjoy your son's home visit.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member
    :) So happy to see Carmine holding Delia
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Husbands and money. Very frustrating. No answers from me. I manage the money because when Jake did it, he wanted to pays bills as soon as they came in without paying attention to whether the paychecks had been deposited yet to be sure there was enough money to cover the payment. He says he doesn't want to spend all our money, yet he consumes fancy coffee, soft drinks, ice cream, and juice bars daily.

:) Time to walk the dogs. They are another expensive item.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

my dh pays all the bills and is good at it BUT he is such a spender. I know he spends a WHOLE lot more than I am aware of but he knows how much money is in the bank.
    When we first got married, I took care of all the bills, like I did when I was married the first time but at some point, dh took over. He has most on auto pay so I don't even know what goes out each month.

He keeps saying he wants to totally quit working- he retired at 52 so too early to pull any regular retirement- he has a year and 2 months before he can start getting SS. I want him to keep working part time until then- at most, he is working two shifts a week- one 8 hr and one 4 . The past two weeks he hasn't even been on the schedule at all.
    I was hoping that since I just started getting my SS in May that we could start getting more money in the savings but with them not giving him regular hours and he doesn't like the way they are treating him, he wants to just quit completely.

I totally understand that last statement- Cats are VERY expensive, especially lately.
    He just ordered a catio for the two stray cats that we paid to have fixed- he doesn't want them wandering anymore- We are also planning on adding an addition to the original catio(actually, it will be a second addition to it).

Debbie