WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,816 Member
    Lisa … I generally love Maytag … except for the agitator-less model. Like Vicki, I don’t think the clothes get clean. It just “wiggles” the clothes and it doesn’t use enough water. I found marks and undissolved detergent on the clothes. Add to that, the cycles take too long. Would never have another. The old 80s Maytag gets clothes clean in less time.

Lanette … sorry you have Covid. My mom tested positive today too… since I’ve been with her every day … I’ve been exposed. But what that means with today’s covid protocols confuses me. The facility said I could still visit??

Beth
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,575 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Lanette … sorry you have Covid. My mom tested positive today too… since I’ve been with her every day … I’ve been exposed. But what that means with today’s covid protocols confuses me. The facility said I could still visit??

Beth

Beth - Sorry to hear about your mom, I have a hunch seniors her age have a harder time with Covid than I did, but I could be wrong.

Interesting your mom's facility says still come visit, sounds like the protocols are really relaxed compared to what they were. Maybe they are leaving it up to the visitors - if showing symptoms, stay home. But since it's spreading among the residents, no need to ban outsiders?

Spoke with my doc this morning, he said I'm considered contagious the first 5 days of showing symptoms, then should mask for the next 5. I'm not sure how many people pay attention to that since most people have antibodies from vaccines or the natural infection.

Today is day 6 for me, and I feel perfectly fine. If not for the loss of sense of smell, I never would have realized I had covid since I didn't test.

By the way, I give a lot of credit to Zicam. I took other supplements as well but read recently that zinc taken in lozenge form is one of the most effective virus killers and I took a lot of it. I see Walmart has it in flavors other than that nasty orange "baby aspirin" flavor, lol. It must remind of some medicine I was forced to take as a child. :p

Lanette

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,912 Member
    Heather - We sure do need a tribe. Rodger and I started out more in tune than we are now. There is so much that I still love deeply, some things just are hard to respect though.

Lisa - I know Rodger would do a good job, we used to split this better and he always did a good job.
    I hope your washer hangs on for you. I’m praying our hot water tank keeps going for a while yet. I fear it’s going though.
    I can’t wait to see the wallet you design.
    Your craft tables look great.

I have friends that had the agitator-less washing machine and got rid of it. I’ve also heard some things about the front load washers. I personally want as few bells and whistles as possible, I find it’s just more to go wrong.

Beth - Hope your Mom didn’t pass Covid onto you. We don’t have much for restrictions now.

Lanette - I hope you kick it to the curb fast!
    I used to chew baby aspirin like candy when my Mom wasn’t paying attention. It’s a wonder I didn’t overdose at some point. Maybe I need to try Zicam 😂

Kim - your parents had a good plan when it came to finances. I was raised with no financial discipline.
    My Mom never worked except for one winter that I remember. My Dad worked hard, but was never in his whole life paid his worth. He would go almost every evening and weekend to do odd jobs for people in the community rarely getting more than $5.00 for an evening’s work. He was a licenced general contractor, Red seal electrician, could build anything and could do plumbing but really hated it. He spent every cent he had usually a couple of days before payday. Dad smoked and my brother still resents that we grew up without heat, sometimes electricity and food was scarce at times. My mother’s parents gave them the house we grew up in, it was without running hot water or a tub until the year after I was married. They also helped them out a lot over the years and spoiled my brother and I. Rodger grew up with two parents that worked.
    I have been working with cash myself more lately. It makes a difference I think. Rodger doesn’t spend a lot except for the cigarettes and I’m resenting that. It’s hard though because I didn’t want to be “that” ex smoker.
    Right now I’m upset that he doesn’t want to work on top of the money literally being burned up.

Allie - those Grands of yours sure are cute. Carmine looks happy holding Delia.

Vicki - exactly! Rodger won’t look either. I actually wrote it all out a few weeks ago when this talk of not working for the winter came up.

Rebecca - hope all the pain goes by tomorrow.

Pip - aren’t our bodies strange.

Michele - depending on what product she is using to make the shirt she needs certain materials and maybe colours. Also, they shouldn’t be washed before having the product applied because of fabric softeners and laundry soaps. I would just let her get you a shirt.

I had a tv catch up night tonight. I watched the Emmy’s I had recorded, I thought they did a good job of them this year with how they had the presenters.
    Now I’m watching the AGT Finale so I don’t read on FB who won.
    Last night I watched a new show called Brilliant Minds. I loved it!

Off to bed.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,986 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,223 Member
    Good morning sweet friends!

Michele so glad your callous is better finally.

Heather hope your ex is better.

Tracey I'm with you that based on looks from the inside, I would shorten the curtains. What is the view like? Can you see out? Do you need privacy there? Is it blocking sun?

Beth amazing that your mom played possum so well! Maybe she fainted or something? Just seems so weird that she could fool the workers.
    And I'm sorry she got covid. Hope she is comfortable.

Lanette you too with the covid! Hope your symptoms are mild. My Dad takes memantine for Alzheimer's but I don't know if it does much. It supposedly will slow down the progression for about six months, so if that's six more months he is at home, then that's great.

Allie Sorry to hear about Ginger. That will be confusing for Miles. And so glad to see Carmine!

Carol great job avoiding credit cards. That takes discipline!

Rebecca sounds like a lovely visit.

Rita hugs for you. Hope things get better.

Kim sorry about your mom reporting that she will die in two weeks. That sounds very difficult to deal with.

Pip Yay for the nerve issue disappearing!

I have to watch Dad with money. He feels good when he gives it away. I took the checkbook but he still has a credit card.

Okay, I'm caught up here. Next up is laundry, dishes, and such. it's raining so we aren't walking. Too slippery for Dad.

Have a great day! May you all be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,202 Member
    edited September 25
    Lanette I like to say I am now at a healthy weight. BMI puts me in normal range. Although I have learned BMI is only a small part of the picture. Sleep, waist measurement, gut health, and coping with stress are also important. I too can put on two pounds overnight if I eat out and the food is salty. I have a one to two pound range between what I weigh at the end of the day and first thing in the morning. Weighing with clothes also adds a pound or two. My plan is to stick to my current course. High fiber, smaller meat portions, more water, fermented foods, less highly processed foods, little to none wheat, corn, soy,and sugar.

I have a 35 year old Maytag that I am in no hurry to replace. Yes from the 80's. It does let you choose from small, medium, large, and extra large wash load. My clothes come out cleaner than son's newer washer ( It does have an extra rinse cycle that is needed) The new washer like the newer toilet are geared to save water. Where the cost comes in is for the washers is it is hard to get the clothes as clean and if it is a front loader you have to clean it periodically so you don't get mold. Toilets are harder to fix than the old ones so the added saving could go to the plumber. I just had mine out to do the routine boiler check up for winter. They now charge 120 an hour. So my $20 repair would have cost...$120 (labor)+$90(show up fee)+$20 in parts=$230 at least...This helped pay for the yearly furnace maintenance.

M Like you I pay off monthly charges so I do not have late fees or added interest. Saves quite a bit of money.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,189 Member
    Today is:
    nvcfid36wz7d.jpeg
    ddjd7s7n7q0b.jpeg
    9hoh7fn6wq8t.jpeg

78s1li7pd8c7.jpeg
    RVRita in Roswell
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,816 Member
    I should clarify that I can visit my mom, but I also have to wear full PPE in her room ...N95, gown, gloves, glasses. I am not going in to visit today and will play it by ear tomorrow ... after I talk to the nursing supervisor on her floor. I want good advice before I visit. I did visit my mom every day that she had covid last December. She refused to eat and I ended up feeding her until she regained enough energy to feed herself. Hoping that's not necessary this time around.

Lanette ... good advice about the zinc! I restarted my b-complex this morning that has zinc and vitamin C along (with the B vitamins). I already take D3 and Magnesium.

Husband and Finances ... I'm in charge of everything but his 401K. He will be lost if I pass before he does. I've tried to explain it all. Falls on deaf ears.

Beth
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,990 Member
    Afternoon all
    Alfie is back,and enjoyed his couple of days at Tom and Elena's..
    Tom flying down to Florida this weekend for a week to check on things ,right in time for Helene but,it shouldn't effect him to much..
    I decided since I will be gone almost 2 weeks that i will bring a medium suitcase and a carry on and a personal bag with me
    And will..repack yet again..lol
    And I will get the vaccine before going just because ,i will be around alot of people.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,516 Member
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 18min 54sec, 313elev, 2.61ap, 79ahr, 106mhr, 6.03mi= 586c
    Strava app = 731c
    Outside jog- 10.21min, 23elev, 163spm, 155aw, 145ahr, 170mhr, 10.03min mi, 1.03mi= 111c
    Strava app= 125c

Total cal 697

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Barbara – so glad you can breathe again. Vince can’t go bowling tonight “because I still can’t walk”. Really, babying something for a long time only makes it worse. Hey, I’ve been walking differently since February and only in the last week have I been able to walk sort-of normally. But I never gave up my walking. I may have walked slower, but I walked. Dr. Google probably wouldn’t want me to.

Beth – maybe your mom’s facility figures “she’s already been exposed, so what’s the difference. It makes her mom happy when she visits so where’s the harm? Would probably be worse if she didn’t come”.

Today at BK my worst nightmare came true. They rehired this one hourly manager. Why? My guess is because she’s willing to work at 5am. She used to criticize me for everything when I started. I couldn’t even sweep the floor before I left the correct way. I just thought “let me get this straight. The woman who cut her hair in the bathroom – the bathroom that the customer sees – and left hair in the sink and on the floor is telling me that I need to sweep the floor better in the back where the customer doesn’t see. Isn’t there something wrong with this picture?” Well, 3 years later I’m still here and she told me that she’d been fired from the BK that she went to. So why they hired her is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that she’ll work at 5a.m.

I never even knew that there was such a thing as an agitator-less washing machine. Now I know to avoid them. We have a front loader and it seems to be fine.

Tracey – thank you for the info about the shirt. I’ll give her one and ask her if it’s OK. I just really don’t want one of the cheap ones. I would much rather spend extra money on a good quality one. So if I have to buy one, that I will do

Annie – the “callous” is better. Not perfect. But at least I’m not walking on the side of my foot so that I don’t put pressure on it. Maybe he got out what was the problem and I just have to give my body time to attack and kill what’s left, I don’t know. I’ll go to him again in a month

Credit cards: I had a Kohl’s card and they went to a credit card (probably cheaper for them). I almost fell over when I saw the credit limit. So I called and asked it to be reduced, which they did. But they said that reducing could negatively impact my credit score. I asked Vince and he said that it could. I worry about what might happen if someone got hold of my wallet. They don’t need to be able to charge thousands of dollars. A few hundred is enough. And there’s no way I’ll buy more than $300 at any one time from Kohl’s

We had these plants that I really didn’t like so I replaced them. I thought I was being so smart and started to remove one thinking that I’d get it done before Vince came home. Ha Ha. Had my neighbor help me. Well, for the other plant Vince tied a cord around the plant and used the car to pull it out of the ground (Kim – it’d been there 2 years). Well, guess that wasn’t enough because some of the roots were regrowing. Since it rained last night and the ground was a bit softer, I dug the shoots up. Hopefully, I got the rest of the roots.

Margaret – we always leave the washer door open when we’re not using it and we’ve never had mold in it. We’ve had the washer well over 5 years.

Rita – I hope they figure out what’s wrong with your mom so she can start getting better

Supposed to rain hard Fri. Vince was going to go to the lady’s house whose brother passed away and Vince helped her sell his trains. Anyway, the brother was also into music so Vince helped her buy new speakers and he was going to go there to set them up. But if we’re going to get a lot of rain, maybe he won’t. She wants me to come over, too. If Vince goes, I will. I’ll also take brownies with me. She’s into “healthy” foods so I’ll make some tofu brownies and text her that that’s what they are but to just refer to them as “brownies” in front of Vince or he won’t eat them. I'll make some and if we don't go, I can always freeze them.

Bowling tonight. Like Monday, I'll just tell people that I beat Vince up and that's why he isn't there....lol Then I'll probably tell them the truth

Michele NC