Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I'm conscious that I've been absent for some time.

I had some difficulties at work, which rather got in the way of training for awhile. A bit catch 22 as running is pretty therapeutic for me mentally at a time when things were pretty stressed. Still, didn't lose my job and I've moved onto something that's more suited to my skillset.

Anyway, back into a bit more structure over the last couple of weeks and I'm feeling more comfortable about the net race on Saturday. It's less hilly than the Ox from May, but the weather is forecast to be very hot. The route is quite exposed, so I'll be wearing my Camelbak. There are only 3 aid stations on the half marathon route, so having the water with me will be handy.

I did my last long run on Saturday at a reasonable pace, and the tempo session last week would forecast a 1:58 finish on flat ground. So I'd anticipate somewhere around 2:15 on Saturday, given my experience of races in Dorset before.

Taer run last night, and a final taper run tomorrow evening as well.
  • eyethree
    eyethree Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started Week 3 of B210K ran 4.09 miles barely made it. I finished Week 2 on Sunday then went to workout with a friend. Let's just say after an hour on legs Sunday, I'm shocked I ran 4 miles today and barely made it up the stairs at work. I hope Thursday is a better run for me.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ran 3.04 miles in 38:26 min today. Physically and mentally felt strong. The relatively cool 64 degrees this morning helped. Felt like I could go longer but decided to stop. It is, as they say, "a marathon".

What plan is everyone using? My rundouble app has a bridge to 10k plan that is only 6 weeks but I'm seeing people on week 10...

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    completed w1d3 (30 minute run) outside and did well. my speed improved slightly to 10:03 min/mi but that meant the last K was especially tough. the funny thing is, i thought i was running even slower than usual today because i have a cold. i have no idea how to pace myself, unless i need to stop listening to "rock and run" on songza and move on to something with a slower beat. ;)

my app is 9 weeks, @JSC145 (active 5k to 10k). wow, a half marathon - way to go! i'm impressed.

@MeanderingMammal have a great race this weekend.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    maggiekat7 wrote: »
    completed w1d3 (30 minute run) outside and did well. my speed improved slightly to 10:03 min/mi but that meant the last K was especially tough. the funny thing is, i thought i was running even slower than usual today because i have a cold. i have no idea how to pace myself, unless i need to stop listening to "rock and run" on songza and move on to something with a slower beat. ;)

my app is 9 weeks, @JSC145 (active 5k to 10k). wow, a half marathon - way to go! i'm impressed.

No need to be impressed yet. I have to actually run the thing. =)

I use songza too! I'll have to check out "rock and run". I bounce between
    "Indie rock blast-off" and "uplifting pop motivation" depending on my mood.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    JSC145 wrote: »
    Ran 3.04 miles in 38:26 min today. Physically and mentally felt strong. The relatively cool 64 degrees this morning helped. Felt like I could go longer but decided to stop. It is, as they say, "a marathon".

What plan is everyone using? My rundouble app has a bridge to 10k plan that is only 6 weeks but I'm seeing people on week 10...

I used zenlabs, as the b210k used the c25k as a base, the first x weeks were c25k programme. However now I use Matt Fitzgerald 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower as a methodology. I programme those into a running watch. Because of road running and UK race rules, I also weaned myself off of running with headphones as a lot of races in the UK will disqualify you if you are caught using them. All to do with insurance and safety, draconian but it is getting worse. Great work on your running.

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good work everyone on your progress.
    I'm having trouble keeping up on the thread currently as I'm on a work trip. I'm still getting some runs in though. This mornings was a planned 15k, that got cut down to 6.7k because my shins were niggling a little. Legs were heavy too, but I didn't feel like pushing through the shins.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all!
    I had to take a few days off from activity due to straining an internal oblique muscle while lifting weights. It was pretty unpleasant - felt like someone punched me in the side, couldn't breathe deeply without hurting for a few days. I'm back up to speed now and ran W1/D3 of the zen labs 10K trainer today. I have to say, despite the injury, this was my strongest run yet! I was so excited to be back out there :) I hope everyone is having a good week!
  • maggiekat7
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ugh, maybe i need a metronome. or a metronome app - as running with an actual metronome could be awkward. i ran w2d1 today (20 minute steady run). my app is requesting that i do jogs, fast runs, steady runs and tempo runs. up until now all i've done is tie my shoes and run. i haven't tried to run faster or slower (okay, i'm lying. i HAVE tried to run slower - and failed). so i am not really sure what i'm being asked to do now.

this morning was a steady run which was supposed to be "faster than my jog but still conversational". i'm struggling with this because i have ALWAYS run "too fast" and the last thing i am when running is conversational. i mean, i could do it, but it wouldn't be a conversation work repeating, know what i mean? ;)

my next workout is structured as a 10-minute jog, an then alternating 2-minutes of fast run and jogs 2 times, finishing with a steady run.

*confused*

or am i making this harder than it has to be? i am known for over-complicating things.

i pushed today (because i think i was supposed to?) and averaged 9:15 min/mi - and was GLAD when my 20-minutes were up, and had to focus on regulating my breathing for the last 2-3 minutes.

is it all trial and error as one works out their paces?
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @maggiekat7 I'm sure what you wrote makes sense to you but to me it's over complicated. zenlabs b210k was just more of C25k running simply and if you are new to running, that will do. The complication of easy runs, steady runs, intervals and tempo pieces comes after some running experience but also with some research about what paces or heart rates they need to be run at. At this stage I recommend KISS as a training principle

Had some easy sessions the last few days which have gone reasonably well. Hill sprint session tonight, I was tired and lethargic and nearly threw in the towel after the first sprint interval. It was not great, I missed every interval pace, more cruise than sprint. But I got it done, I feel really tired now so it has probably done some good. Definitely decided that post the marathon and holiday, I will focus on improving my 5k time, less volume, more pace. Family out tomorrow so going to bring the long run forward and do it tomorrow afternoon, so see how my longest run (as opposed to run/ walk) goes in the heat of the afternoon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    That sounds overcomplicated, and probably not much of value in it.

When I use the Endomondo plans that gives a target pace for the faster intervals, and then gives coaching based on actual pace. But you're unlikely to be in a situation where speedwork gives much value at the moment.
  • maggiekat7
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @ftrobbie - i agree, it IS complicated. so much so, that i am not entirely eager for each workout as i was with the c25k app. that seemed so straight forward. walk, run, walk . . . run.

this is so convoluted. i guess i'll take a look at the zenlabs program and might also rethink the endomondo 10k program too. the good thing about the endomondo program is that it uses your current progress and level to tailor the program to users. it also provides pacing feedback, which i think i'd benefit from.

thanks! i was a bit worried that i was just supposed to intuit what all these paces meant.

@MeanderingMammal - i am finding right off the get go it is devaluing my experience given that it's adding a level of complication i am not interested in at this point. it's taking the FUN out. yes, i think speedwork at this point would probably be too much for my ol' ticker. i have to work at slowing down, not speeding up.

i have peaked at the zenlabs app. it is quite different than the active app or the endomondo trainer. guess there is some experimenting in my near future!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    @maggiekat7 you need to find something you are comfortable with, so an app works if you understand the rationale behind it. The simple c25k and zenlabs b210k work on the basis you should run at a speed you can still talk with someone (easy pace). For new runners time on feet still gives you a good bang for the buck. Tempo, intervals, fast pace etc are all ways to enhance that bang. But it comes with a risk, you may not be ready for it, and it requires a much better understanding than just going out and running easy. If you get it wrong you end up fatigued, if you get it seriously wrong you end up injured. How much time you want to expend finding out what tempo, fast etc means for you is up to you. MeanderingMammal understands it for him, Taeliesyn understand it for him, I understand it for me. Like a broken record I have found Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower is my goto book on training methodology, it got me from a 1:05 10k and 2:35 half down to a 1:55 half. I am now using his level 2 plan for my full marathon training. It works for me and I am happy and ultimately that's all that counts. There might be a better plan for me somewhere and if I stumble across it then I'll pick it up. But the level 2 plan I have currently got fits my lifestyle and that allows me to balance my other responsibilities with running for a win win. Good luck with your running/ training.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Did W10/D1 of the Zen Labs C210K trainer this morning - 5 min warm up....jog 15 min then walk 1 min (repeat 3 times)...5 min cool down. I ended up covering 4.74 miles which might be the farthest I've ever ran in my life :) I also learned a valuable lesson about the perils of gray capri running pants in the summer humidity. No, dear neighbors, I haven't pissed myself....nothing to see here....move along.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    @maggiekat7 you need to find something you are comfortable with, so an app works if you understand the rationale behind it. The simple c25k and zenlabs b210k work on the basis you should run at a speed you can still talk with someone (easy pace). For new runners time on feet still gives you a good bang for the buck. Tempo, intervals, fast pace etc are all ways to enhance that bang. But it comes with a risk, you may not be ready for it, and it requires a much better understanding than just going out and running easy. If you get it wrong you end up fatigued, if you get it seriously wrong you end up injured. How much time you want to expend finding out what tempo, fast etc means for you is up to you. MeanderingMammal understands it for him, Taeliesyn understand it for him, I understand it for me. Like a broken record I have found Matt Fitzgeralds 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower is my goto book on training methodology, it got me from a 1:05 10k and 2:35 half down to a 1:55 half. I am now using his level 2 plan for my full marathon training. It works for me and I am happy and ultimately that's all that counts. There might be a better plan for me somewhere and if I stumble across it then I'll pick it up. But the level 2 plan I have currently got fits my lifestyle and that allows me to balance my other responsibilities with running for a win win. Good luck with your running/ training.

I've gotta agree with Robbie on this @maggiekat7 the plan you're on sounds like a 10k improver plan, not a get me to running 10k program, which is what I feel you need currently. Tempo, fartlek and intervals are something you should know about, but not really experience until you've got a good solid 6 months of training under your belt, ideally 12 months. This is without the factor of you're not enjoying your sessions anymore.
    I'll happily admit I do have some sessions I absolutely dread when I see them on my schedule, but I feel good after them and these are for a target race. It's still less than 2yrs since I started C25K and running is now my escape. I got here by keeping my running enjoyable for the large part, even the sessions I dread I do enjoy the challenge they bring.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Long run today in the heat 16.5 miles at a slow target pace of 10:20 min/mile. Actual turned out to be 10:35. It was hot, it was a struggle. It was way harder than I expected, it was way harder than I wanted and I have a new found respect for marathoners who compete in the heat. I am now looking forward to the consolidation week next week. Have fun with your running everyone.

@MeanderingMammal well done on your time at the Dorset Invader Half Marathon. Look forward to reading the report later.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 miles at the gym yesterday in under 40 minutes and have logged just over 80 miles on the bicycle this week. (Will probably ride tomorrow too!) The heat isn't quite as bad on the bike as it is running.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    2 more runs since my last update to complete Week 10 of B210k. Moving on to Wk 11 this week with 3 17 minute running intervals.
    I took advantage of a sale to get myself fitted for new shoes...Brooks Aduro 3. They feel so comfy <3 Can't wait to try them tmrw!
    Have a good week, everyone!
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So yesterday I raced the Dorset Invader Half Marathon. Organised by a team who run 5 events themselves, and provide support to other races. Very much a by runners, for runners type of thing. They won the Runners World Best Marathon this year for the Giants Head, an event I marshaled at three weeks ago, and I ran the Ox Half in May. The event yesterday was a Half and a Marathon, with another short race this morning called the Invader Chais.

It was warm yesterday, and humid. The course was a mix of very exposed, and completely forested with narrow paths, three lengthy ascents that weren't as steep as the Ox, but were pretty relentless.

It's a short field, 250 runners in the half, so that makes for a very friendly feel, lots of banter and laughs.

There were three aid stations on the route, two water and one with cake, cider and hugs if needed. I was wearing my Camelbak, given the heat I knew I needed to drink all the way round the route.

What I found most difficult was just how narrow some of the trail was. For long stretches it was nearly impossible to pass other runners. In some ways that forced a manageable pace of about 6 min/km, but in others there were stretches that could have comfortably been faster, equally it made watching the footing more challenging. I fell once on a tree root, and saw another runner later who'd face planted and was going to end up with a spectacular finish line photo, covered in blood.

Lots of runners in fancy dress, the race was Roman themed as the area was occupied by the 2nd Legion under Vespasian during the early invasion of Britain by the Roman legions. So we had someone in full armour and shield, walking the HM route and the second aid station as run by volunteers all in togas.

All in all a pretty challenging race, a very hard running surface with my trail shoes having no cushioning which led to having to be very careful with my form to avoid a repeat of the ITBS from the Clarendon last year. I may need to look for different trail shoes with a bit more cushion for next season.

Anyway, I landed at 2:17 by Garmin, which I was reasonably happy with. Better than the Ox but a bit slower than the Clarendon last year.

And on that note, herewith the bling...

g78864qilbzv.jpg
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice bling, well done on the race, just check the blog post, the bling photo does not show.