Growing old gracefully? ????⌛

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    The hell with growing old gracefully. I will fight it by whatever means necessary (that I can afford), as long as I stay natural looking.

And frankly, I think it's working. No one ever guesses how old I am. I get away with a lot younger.

How old are you? If you don't mind me asking.

Almost 38.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    OP, you can go be old. Have fun!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    ok, so I'm really starting to see a little crows feet when I smile. What'sa guy to do about that? I wanna stay babyfaced forever!!!

Stop smiling

Botox
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I am 45 and I am the moisturizing queen....people easily think i am in my early 30s.

If you can slow down the aging process why not!! We do it for our bodies with eating right and exercising why wouldn't it be the same for our face?

Also they say black don't crack!! LOL!!!!! :laugh:
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    I just recently turned 40, and I'm not as concerned (at this point at least) skin looks to go buy all those lotions/potions/creams. I have gotten some stretch mark cream that I'll start applying now that I've lost some inches, but it's not for the vanity aspect - it's how I feel about it myself (none are in areas I'd show in public).

The only thing I do worry a bit about is my hair color (white and gray hairs becoming more prevalent than they used to be, though I still have a lot of brown/dark blonde their too).

I don't even wear makeup day-to-day! :ohwell:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    I am 45 and I am the moisturizing queen....people easily think i am in my early 30s.

If you can slow down the aging process why not!! We do it for our bodies with eating right and exercising why wouldn't it be the same for our face?

Also they say black don't crack!! LOL!!!!! :laugh:

dbanks, that is a beautiful Samoyed, my boy is 5 1/2 years old - he's the 3rd one we've had...........
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    ok, so I'm really starting to see a little crows feet when I smile. What'sa guy to do about that? I wanna stay babyfaced forever!!!

Stop smiling
    Die young and leave a pretty corpse.

As for me, I don't give a rat's patoot. I work in a basement with no windows, and I spend a few minutes a day outside walking to class and such. If I'm outside for an extended period of time on the weekend, I'm probably wearing a bee suit, or lifting rocks under a shade tree. I rarely moisturize except when I remember to use my homemade lotion with wax from my own bees, and if people don't like the gray that's creeping into my hair they can just not look at me. IDGAFF. :drinker:
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member

Life is too short for this crap.

Meh. I think life's too short to not look your best.

I'm 42, take good care of my skin (I am a self-admitted skin product junkie), and dye my hair.

You seem a little judgy of people like me. But whatevs, most of the feedback I get is positive and I feel better than I have at any other age. I'll stick to what I'm doing.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member

I'm 42, take good care of my skin (I am a self-admitted skin product junkie), and dye my hair.

You seem a little judgy of people like me. But whatevs, most of the feedback I get is positive and I feel better than I have at any other age. I'll stick to what I'm doing.

Having an opinion and being genuinely interested in the opinion of others =/= being "judgy"
    I feel that I do look my best and most people guess my age significantly lower than it is, all im saying is personally I am not prepared to spend a fortune on my looks or to go through unneccesary procedures unless my life depends on it.

I still stick to my original sentiment of "life is too short for this crap". It really isnt a priority for me. Each to their own eh...
  • VeganLexi
    That IS a hike! I didn't grow up near the beach. I didn't see the ocean until I was 12. We were probably at least seven hours from any back (aside from lakes). I'm making up for it now.

And I want to live in Cornwall someday. It's just so beautiful! I want to live there and write novels.

Cornwall really is beautiful, we visited Lands End last month (along with Carbis Bay and St. Ives). It's so chilled out down there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    That IS a hike! I didn't grow up near the beach. I didn't see the ocean until I was 12. We were probably at least seven hours from any back (aside from lakes). I'm making up for it now.

And I want to live in Cornwall someday. It's just so beautiful! I want to live there and write novels.

Cornwall really is beautiful, we visited Lands End last month (along with Carbis Bay and St. Ives). It's so chilled out down there.
    It's my favorite thing about watching Doc Martin, the scenery shots.

I have a friend who grew up in Kent and she suggested that, too.

Of course, first I have to write a best-seller so I can quit my job ... lol
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member

Having an opinion and being genuinely interested in the opinion of others =/= being "judgy"
    I feel that I do look my best and most people guess my age significantly lower than it is, all im saying is personally I am not prepared to spend a fortune on my looks or to go through unneccesary procedures unless my life depends on it.

I still stick to my original sentiment of "life is too short for this crap". It really isnt a priority for me. Each to their own eh...

Fair enough. :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 569 Member
    Aww youth... lol... Can't help noticing that you look fairly young, wonder how you will feel when you are older. Do you color or highlight your hair? To me trying to keep my skin healthy with creams is about the same thing as coloring or highlighting.

I color the crap out of my hair...but not because I am gray. I just like changing it up! lol. I'm 32 and haven't seen any gray yet (lucky me!)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    To me there is a difference between growing old gracefully and throwing in the towel, and I think a lot of people who have stopped trying to be their best physically and mentally say they are growing with grace. To me that is throwing in the towel.

I don't understand how people wouldn't want to look their best and take care of there body. I don't think they are bad people, I just don't get it. You only get one body and one mind.

So, I would like to grow old gracefully with strength. I want to be the lady I saw out on a run there other day at 75 riding her adult tricycle with a big smile. She looked BEAUTIFUL to me.

I won't lie though. If I had an extra ten grand I would get laser bra so I would walk around bra-less at home and and the girls would walk with me again.
  • VeganLexi

Fair enough. :flowerforyou: :smile:

It's difficult to get one's ideas/questions accross on a forum without offending someone :laugh: It really wasnt meant to come across as judgy, I'm not that kinda girl :flowerforyou:
  • Well, you youthful responders, I am 60 and the primary thing many (most) people my age are concerned with is lifestyle. Looks (while still not UNimportant )are more does s/he look good for his/her age. What you see at 60 is that you have probably 20ish years left and you want to be able to enjoy those to the maximum and perhaps survive healthy enough to dance at your grandchildren's weddings (or Phd hooding or whatever it is they want to celebrate). :smile: One final thought, lots of plastic surgery does not make a person look younger - it makes them look old with plastic surgery -- think Joan Rivers. :laugh:
  • VeganLexi

I love Martin Clunes! It would be a lovely place to write a novel though...so much inspiration.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

I love Martin Clunes! It would be a lovely place to write a novel though...so much inspiration.
    He is great!

We found a show on Netfix a while back -- a parody of a documentary about airports. There were these characters, teenage girls, who heard Martin Clunes was going to be flying into the airport and they were waiting with signs and all excited. So the plane gets there and they're singing his name and jumping up and down and they find out he switched flights to another airport because he heard they were there and he didn't want to be bothered. It was so funny.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    i think you should always strive to be the best you, that YOU can be, at any age. You owe it to yourself at the very least. I've always put more focus on looking good then the people around me, but that's just me. However, i have never done the moisturizer route and have no intentions of it. I believe natural is the best way as much as you can. I do go to bars, (i'm 51 at the moment) but not to prove anything, but because i simply LOVE dancing and drinking as it's very relaxing for me. I'm out to spend the remainder of my life as stress free as possible :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    To me there is a difference between growing old gracefully and throwing in the towel, and I think a lot of people who have stopped trying to be their best physically and mentally say they are growing with grace. To me that is throwing in the towel.

I don't understand how people wouldn't want to look their best and take care of there body. I don't think they are bad people, I just don't get it. You only get one body and one mind.

So, I would like to grow old gracefully with strength. I want to be the lady I saw out on a run there other day at 75 riding her adult tricycle with a big smile. She looked BEAUTIFUL to me.

I won't lie though. If I had an extra ten grand I would get laser bra so I would walk around bra-less at home and and the girls would walk with me again.

Agreed, but I think the vast majority of people here ARE looking to take care of their bodies, that's why we're here. I took the OP to mean the more cosmetic things (gray hair, etc.) & THAT's what a lot of us aren't concerned with. Will I look better losing weight? I certainly hope so, but I will never win any prizes for looks. The bigger thing I'm addressing with the weight loss is staying healthy - anything else is a bonus & if it doesn't work out that way, that's fine too. I take care of myself (shower, haircuts, keep the beard trimmed, clean clothes, etc.) but I'm not doing the Grecian formula thing or anything else cosmetic like that.......