What Happens to Runners in the Winter?

Options
12346»

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If it is above 20 F I go outside and run. I didn't invest in winter running gear (I just started in January), I just ran in sweats. But this year I am going to invest in some thermal running gear as I have fallen in love.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    This is one of the reasons why I joined a gym. I live in Detroit, and there will be many days when it is too icy and dangerous to run outside. I hate treadmills! But I'm trying to get used to them and other machines for my cardio. Running outside is my preferred method of cardio though.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Winter=Treadmill Time for me. I'm not that dedidcated to running, or living my life in a meaningful way to go outside in the winter other than to get in my car for work or to ski...I live in Omaha though so pretty much just the work thing.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada. Our winters are certainly harsher than Georgia. :wink:

I ran outside all winter, except for a week or so when the temperature was well below -20C (well below 0F).

I dress in layers, I choose my running days based on the road conditions (I don't run every day). The roads don't stay icy for long (the salt trucks are out regularly). If it was too much of a problem, I would get those 'yak trax' to put on my shoes.

If you really want to run outside, it's do-able.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I love dark, cold running! Scottish winters give me plenty of that and I am tougher come next spring :-)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Unless it's black ice, I run. I'll break out the wool running socks for sure, but I'll still run.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I've run and hiked through ice and horizontal snow fall from serious winds. Learn to enjoy it.

That said, I moved to Florida, so YOU learn to enjoy it. I'll be shivering in 66-70F winters now . . .lol
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm in Colorado. We rarely get heat and humidity at the same time (yeay!!!!), and safety.. well... I've been unsafe indoors and out (and out has much better "run away" options, in my humble opinion - but I have an upper body with the musculature of pipe cleaners).

Safety isn't just attackers...... Safety as in, lack of safe areas to run. Not sure how many times you've had a car not notice you on the shoulder inside....

Hey! That was on my very short list of serious advice! They pay even LESS attention in the winter. : )

When I've run in winter and the option has been available, I tended to aim for the snow. Fewer cars, less ice. Take high steps and wear gators if warranted. For that matter, wear snowshoes if warranted. A lot less traffic in the way on those days!
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If it isn't safe outside for you to run, I have a few suggestions that beat the treadmill. 1- Find a track. A lot of high schools in my area have tracks that are open to the public. In the winter, they're generally cleaned off and the rubber material the track is made of isn't slippery when wet. Some gyms or YMCA type places have indoor tracks, too. So you could look into either of those options :) 2- Do you have an ice skating rink around? I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous but the rink in my town has a sign up saying 8 times around the rink is a mile, and they even open early in the morning to accommodate for runners. :happy:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I live in California and also run. I run on the treadmill because I work out at 5:30 in the morning when it's dark and because drivers on the streets here don't pay that much attention to pedestrians, even if they're running. Sometimes on the weekend I might take a run outside, thought, on a trail or on a safe course I've created for myself.

So, for me, whether I am outside or on the treadmill, I wear shorts and short sleeved tee shirts year round, even when it's raining.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    In Canada they go to sleep.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I wear sub-zero running tights and warm wicking layers, a toque and gloves. I also have cleats that I throw over my running shoes, which work really well on compact snow... less so on ice. It hovers a few degrees below freezing most of the winter here.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its not the cold that is a problem, but snow blocking the roads is. See if a local school has a track that tey clear, or an indoor track.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Georgia has harsh winters? LMAO! No, I'm in Ohio and while we have bad winters its nothing compared to Wisconsin or Minnesota. I've ran when its 0 degrees, on ice covered roads, in 1/2 foot of snow, etc. I adapted as most do and loved it. Also invested in spikes that slip on my shoes.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Well tomorrow is my long run day and the forecast is for torrential rain and 70mph winds. As I always do I'll still run and just adapt to the conditions. If everyday was the same it would be dull.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, so its pretty much the opposite. In the summer its too hot to run outside so I use machines at the gym. In the winter its perfect running weather. I just add an extra layer.

Sorry to sound super ignorant, but you guys in Texas have a WINTER?!? I'm from Canada, I always assumed that south from New York state, there wasn't such a thing anymore. Good for you. Winter's awesome.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    they just faaade away :laugh:

Just kiddin'!!!

<<<<Professional local dog walker here & I suppose just as I keep on, runners do as well. Though I don't see them out on the street when we have snow...the ones in our neighborhood go to the track by the H,S. or hit the trails by the parkways (LI,NY).

Where ever the path is clear, they still run :drinker:

ETA: I wonder if it's like me when I walk dogs, I prefer to walk in the cold because I can always move faster to be comfortable but when it's hot, sometimes there's no amount of slowwww to make it comfortable :laugh:
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I cant believe when I see the faithful joggers, here in Chicago by the very icy cold Lake Michigan, still running, and there are sheets of ice on the ground, they dont fall! amazing. they are out there in wind, rain, sleet, snow, everything.
  • modernshieldmaiden
    Options
    In Minnesota, unless it's well below zero, I always see runners still going at it on the salted sidewalks. Most people I know move to indoor tracks here, but if you are determined to run outside in the winter, it can definitely be done!