Weight loss seems more difficult because of exercise

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Good for you, OP!

Smart people know themselves, recognise their own weaknesses and work around them.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Woah I didn't expect so much response. Apparently I said something controversial here. I do understand that many of you think my point is silly - I agree that *when you actually have the habit of tracking calories*, it's not much work.

The problem is that building habits is a major challenge in my life, especially the ones that require me to track something (appointments, projects, finances, etc). Now I am quite busy with my studies so I wish to focus my efforts on that. I have attention deficit disorder and structure is a major challenge in my life in general - and let me tell you that I work very hard to build it. One of the key things that helps me go forward is by putting my priorities where they should be - if I don't do that I risk getting sidetracked - spending a lot of time on perfecting this calorie tracking things and not getting anything done for my studies, I've done that often and I know that I can prevent it by setting priorities and being really strict with them, so that's what I do now.

I said that I wish to build the habit of tracking calories later, I agree that it's a good idea - and I'll do that when I am done with my studies in about 6-8 weeks.

My question was about what to do in the meantime. I already lost 16 kg without tracking calories (only loosely in my head) so I know it can be done. Thanks for all the advice, it's appreciated!

And thanks for your many comments, also the critical ones (I really understand your point, I hope you understand mine now), I'll read more of them during the lunch break.

Not to be an *kitten*, but this is just an excuse. You're not the only one who has a busy day. If it was really that important to you, you would make time.... I do all of my logging the night before and weigh out food. I come up with a few ideas and combos of foods i would want to eat, weigh it out and log it. The next day I have nothing to stress over. It doesn't take that long to do, and I weigh ALL my food to to the exact gram.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Try to remember that when you are exercising, you are building muscle mass, and losing fat. As far as the food goes, make sure you pay attention to WHAT you eat. Don't reward yourself with "junk", or anything that could be considered "empty calories". If you make sure to have a healthy snack immediately after a workout, and then wait to see if you need more, that would probably help. Protein shakes tend to make you feel full (because it is a liquid), and help you build muscle post-workout.

John-Krasinski-no.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Woah I didn't expect so much response. Apparently I said something controversial here. I do understand that many of you think my point is silly - I agree that *when you actually have the habit of tracking calories*, it's not much work.

The problem is that building habits is a major challenge in my life, especially the ones that require me to track something (appointments, projects, finances, etc). Now I am quite busy with my studies so I wish to focus my efforts on that. I have attention deficit disorder and structure is a major challenge in my life in general - and let me tell you that I work very hard to build it. One of the key things that helps me go forward is by putting my priorities where they should be - if I don't do that I risk getting sidetracked - spending a lot of time on perfecting this calorie tracking things and not getting anything done for my studies, I've done that often and I know that I can prevent it by setting priorities and being really strict with them, so that's what I do now.

I said that I wish to build the habit of tracking calories later, I agree that it's a good idea - and I'll do that when I am done with my studies in about 6-8 weeks.

My question was about what to do in the meantime. I already lost 16 kg without tracking calories (only loosely in my head) so I know it can be done. Thanks for all the advice, it's appreciated!

And thanks for your many comments, also the critical ones (I really understand your point, I hope you understand mine now), I'll read more of them during the lunch break.

Not to be an *kitten*, but this is just an excuse. You're not the only one who has a busy day. If it was really that important to you, you would make time.... I do all of my logging the night before and weigh out food. I come up with a few ideas and combos of foods i would want to eat, weigh it out and log it. The next day I have nothing to stress over. It doesn't take that long to do, and I weigh ALL my food to to the exact gram.

Geez, lighten up! Wishing to put her focus elsewhere for now is more of a choice than an excuse.

I have quite a bit of free time and still find logging here too cumbersome to bother with when I'm not at work. But, like her, I've lost weight without logging so I know that while it's helpful, it's not necessary. If it were easier, I'd do it more. That's not an excuse, because I don't need an excuse.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member

Geez, lighten up! Wishing to put her focus elsewhere for now is more of a choice than an excuse.

I have quite a bit of free time and still find logging here too cumbersome to bother with when I'm not at work. But, like her, I've lost weight without logging so I know that while it's helpful, it's not necessary. If it were easier, I'd do it more. That's not an excuse, because I don't need an excuse.

1. OP is a guy.
    2. This isn't about you.
  • bcattoes

1. OP is a guy.
    2. This isn't about you.

Sorry, OP. HIS, not her. My bad.

No, it's not about me or any of the people calling the OP lazy or making excuses, especially in response to a post where the OP says HE is choosing to put HIS focus elsewhere for a few weeks. Or about you. But it's an open forum so we can all respond.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

You missed my point. I never said it is necessary. I said it is as difficult as you make it, and as much of a priority that you make it.

If you don't want to track then don't... it's your body. My point is i put in minimal time doing it and I'm spot on every day, saying it is too time consuming means you can't manage your time.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member

1. OP is a guy.
    2. This isn't about you.

Sorry, OP. HIS, not her. My bad.

No, it's not about me or any of the people calling the OP lazy or making excuses, especially in response to a post where the OP says HE is choosing to put HIS focus elsewhere for a few weeks. Or about you. But it's an open forum so we can all respond.
    Sure we can respond...and we have, but why not let the OP get a word in here and there instead of dominating his thread? All of a sudden, this turned into the "bcattoes doesn't log and it's working, so it's right for everyone" show.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    OP, we are all only human, including you. I find it admirable that you know how much you can and can't handle right now. 2 years ago I was working tons of overtime in a very stressful job, right after I had given birth to my second baby. Weight loss took a backburner until my lifestyle changed. I was able to build some endurance and strength, which helped when I was able to settle into a new lifestyle. It's OK to maintain your weight and focus on what you can for now, and worry about the rest when the time comes. Just realize that the two mathematical equations are different and you can't expect to get the same "answer" to this method as you get when applying the rest of the equation.

YMMV
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    ...saying it is too time consuming means you can't manage your time.

Now THAT is a conclusion drawn from broscience.

Saying it is too time consuming simply means other things have a higher priority. Whether that's a good or bad choice for the OP is something none of us here are qualified to decide - the OP will have to do that for themselves.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Sure we can respond...and we have, but why not let the OP get a word in here and there instead of dominating his thread? All of a sudden, this turned into the "bcattoes doesn't log and it's working, so it's right for everyone" show.

Yep. And it's NOT working for the OP.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

In that case, just do your best in the next 6-8 weeks, focus on the more important things, and realize that your results may not be optimal.

And then in two months, if you want to really nail down this weight loss thing, try to find a balance where you're able to track calories without the process consuming your life and detracting from your other endeavors.

Or don't. Apparently, many in this thread would have us believe that no one should share advice because it may not be what you want to do. *shrug*
  • bcattoes

OP says he's lost 16 lbs while not logging. I guess we differ on what "it's not working" means. But I suppose I should have just join ed the ever helpful "I can't help you if you are too lazy to log like I do" crowd.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

OP says he's lost 16 lbs while not logging. I guess we differ on what "it's not working" means. But I suppose I should have just join ed the ever helpful "I can't help you if you are too lazy to log like I do" crowd.
    From the OP's OP:
    Weight loss was much easier when I didn't exercise this much
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Ahem. I know it goes against the current, here, but it IS possible to lose weight without ever tracking calories.

Just sayin'... :wink:
    *Possible*, sure...

...but if you ever find yourself dissatisfied with your results, an obvious first thing to consider will be tracking calories. Wishing that wasn't the answer won't make it less so.

The dude's lost 40lb without tracking a mouthful. Which is more than most of the people replying to him.

I think he's just saying it's harder to lose weight when you're exercising really hard. Which I agree with.

ALL the people posting 'STOP MAKING EXCUSES SUCK IT UP' are a bit much, tbh. Relax. Live and let live.

Peace out.

Why are you always playing the contrarian in every thread?
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Hello, I am the OP again.

I just explained my point, but apparently everyone missed it.

What amazes me is how many people want to judge me for not doing this tracking thing. The fact that it is easy for you doesn't mean that it's easy for someone else with 1) a different situation and 2) a different personality. I won't share much about this with you because the tone of the conversation is not such that I feel safe doing that, many of you will probably judge me.

But I already mentioned that I have attention deficit disorder, thus it is though to keep my attention on something, like tracking my weight. I work very hard to function well in life. This year I managed to get my studies going well, I built a lot of good habits, lost 16 kg, quit smoking, I eat a lot healthier now, I exercise 5 times per week - all because I'm learning how to improve my life. Like I said in my previous post, one key thing that I need to do is to choose my battles wisely. I know myself and I know that keeping track of things is really tough for me, and I need to improve how I keep track of my finances and my appointments, so I'd better spend my energy there.

Ok, do you still feel the need to judge me? Do you still think I'm lazy? Why do you post here if you only want to judge me?

BTW there is another forum where I post and people are always positive and helpful there. I've never seen anything like this thread, or anything negative at all. I am considering deleting my account here because I don't like this kind of stuff.
    -> But thanks for all the positive posts that were there. I appreciate your kind words. With positive I don't mean only those who agree with me, but also including those with constructive feedback.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Ok, do you still feel the need to judge me? Do you still think I'm lazy? Why do you post here if you only want to judge me?

Sorry OP about your treatment from some - the bullying mentality on this forum is an embarrassment.

Honestly? I think the ones calling you 'lazy' and accusing you of not wanting to work out are simply not very bright... as they clearly misread your post! Nothing else I can say on that or them.

The shouty, bossy, aggressive ones - there isn't actually that many - it just seems like that because they like to come and make a little drama on any thread with more than 10 responses. They're usually male, youngish (under 30) and have thousands of posts. Make of that what you will.

You'll notice, however, that most of the replies were polite and constructive. The community is full of incredible, knowledgeable, supportive people - sadly the behaviour on the replies to new posters doesn't reflect that.

The negative attitude on here is frequently commented on -unfortunately it falls on deaf, and rather stubborn, ears. It's not just you - it happens a lot.

Keep on going - you're doing great - you're actively trying to improve yourself and you don't have time for this grief! :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Honestly? I think the ones calling you 'lazy' and accusing you of not wanting to work out are simply not very bright...

:huh:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Honestly? I think the ones calling you 'lazy' and accusing you of not wanting to work out are simply not very bright...
    I know...such a positive statement, no?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I know...such a positive statement, no?

Huh.