List of retailers/companies that do NOT vanity size...

Options
13»

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Well it sure as heck isn't Old Navy. Thats all i can add to the topic LOL.

You got that right! I'm wearing size 0 Old Navy jeans right now. I'm probably closer to a 6 in "real" sizes.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about vanity sizing until this summer. I didn't think by my clothes I was that fat. I was wearing size 38 jeans tight. I measured my waist at over 40 inches (2 inches below navel where I was really fat). After some weight loss now, I'm wearing Levi's 569 36" waist. They fall off and my waist is 38" now. I'm wearing some older 560 Levi's today that are 36" waist a little loose with that 38" waist. So for these style of jeans, I hope to eventually be in 34" waist or by a tighter style in 36". I hope to have a real 36" waist one day again.

I have some old Levi's that I wore in college that are ragged out. I don't think I'll ever wear them again but saved them for the memories. They appear to be mostly for a real 34 inch waist.

The link below provides name brands and how big their waist really is
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/trunk/462/your-pants-are-lying-to-you/

I still think you are going to have to try on a few styles in the store, then after that you can use amazon or another online retailer.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Huh.
    Funny. I thought men were all for deceit when it comes to size..
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    As I go down in size, I'm going to start carrying a measuring tape in my purse.
    I'll use it as I check out things from the racks.

For online shopping, I'll be sure to measure myself, and then
    check out the sizing charts before I make my order.

THIS is exactly what I do. I've been dropping size but not really weight, so I'm not really sure where I'll end up.
    I started shopping for jeans at a thrift store nearby and couldn't estimate what size I wore. Jeans looked ridiculously small and I had just bought a pair of guess jeans, size 8 that fit really well. I measured across the hips at the widest point and found that jeans btw 19.5 and 20" across fit me very well.

I keep a teeny key chain measuring tape in my bag & measure as I go. Works like a charm!....and I never have to try on a thing!!!
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you like Levi's they have an online fit guide
    http://us.levi.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=12402008
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For men, Brooks Brothers are exact on size. They also keep in their computers the size that you bought, not just for the tailor made but even the ready made pants and shirts, and the size has always been standard. Shirts like Ralph Lauren or the polo depends on the style fit and where they were made. those made in China run larger, the Hong Kong and those from Vietnam or some other Asian country, they are more true to size. Basically, most shirt companies in dept stores that sell shirts by collar and sleeve length size, they are pretty accurate. Go somewhere like Lord and Taylor or Bloomingdales and have them measure you in the men's dept so you will know arm length and collar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Levi's are true to size I believe. I know I barely fit in a size 12 of those, when I'm typically in 8s otherwise.

I totally see your point frankly. I look at the size chart every time and I still have to guess what I would fit in. I would not order pants or jeans online unless it's a brand I know. I really don't see the point of vanity sizing (plus coming from France it was all totally different anyway, so it's even more confusing).
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Well it sure as heck isn't Old Navy. Thats all i can add to the topic LOL.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They are truly the worst!!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    A 23-24 inch waist is a size 0
    A 24-25 inch waist is a size 2
    A 25-26 inch waist is a size 4

Yes, if stores actually followed this it would be awesome. However, I have a 27-28 inch waist (depending on the day LOL) and I wear 2's and 4's and the occasional 6.. There are 2 stores at which I can wear a 0 because of their sizing!!! So that's the issue, even when the websites say that size fits that waist, it isnt always true! (one brand I buy a lot says their size 4's fit 24-25 inch waist, and I was wearing them at a 30 inch waist...)