SHARKS TEAM PAGE

Options

Replies

• jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My encouragement for today is something that I have been thinking about recently in respect of what will happen when I EVENTUALLY hit my goal :noway: How will I maintain? etc. I still have such a long way to go, but I like to think in advance :laugh: Anyway, I read this quote and it seemed to sum things up nicely:

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."
    – Ursula K. Le Guin

That made me stop and reflect. Yes, it is GREAT to have a goal, but it really is this healthy lifestyle ALL THE TIME that matters most in the end. I am finding that I am doing so much better in myself this week when I am more disciplined in my exercise and eating than I did last week when I had a "week off". I feel more positive and happier generally. So for me the journey (although frustrating at times!) is really important.

Hope that made sense!

KEEP GOING SHARKS! You are all doing fabulously! :heart:
  • jaajh
    Options
    And Samantha posted while I did, so have added her information too.

SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE :happy:
  • barkingbetty
    barkingbetty Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Here is a great quote about staying in a challenge from Randy Pausch, who did the Last Lecture. If you have not seen the Last Lecture video, you should find it on YouTube because it is incredibly inspiring!

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

With that said, I have some questions about how to stay in the challenge from this point on. This is my first MFP challenge, so I need to know what gets us eliminated. Do we get eliminated if we don't complete the weekly challenge or don't lose weight? Is it a good idea to go above and beyond the challenges from now on to keep from getting eliminated? Please advise, wise sharks!

Here are my results from Wednesday and Thursday:
    WEDNESDAY:
    Workout: none
    Calories burned: none
    HIIT: 15 minutes Turbo Chair (modified due to foot)
    Reps: none
    Stretching: Two 5 minute sessions
    Personal: I had a glass of wine, so I did 25 full sit-ups as penance :drinker:

THURSDAY:
    Workout: 90 minutes (stationary bike 60 minutes, circuit training 30 minutes)
    Calories burned: 710
    HIIT: 15 minutes (also used stationary bike for this)
    Reps: none
    Stretching: Two 5 minute sessions
    Personal: I'm good today!

Let's all have a healthy Friday to get ready for out Saturday morning weigh-in! :flowerforyou:
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    With that said, I have some questions about how to stay in the challenge from this point on. This is my first MFP challenge, so I need to know what gets us eliminated. Do we get eliminated if we don't complete the weekly challenge or don't lose weight? Is it a good idea to go above and beyond the challenges from now on to keep from getting eliminated? Please advise, wise sharks!

It depends. It is advised to give more than the minimum in most cases. Especially weeks where there is a team requirement in addition to individual requirements. The requirements for the team can only be met if some members do more than the minimums. Usually she eliminates based on non-completion of challenge requirements, contribution to team numbers, and weight loss. So yes, it's best to do more than just the minimums.

This week seems a little different though since there are no team requirements or calorie burn requirements. It seems that she's trying to thin this out though. The time needed this week to complete the challenge is up there!

Thursday
    61 mins, 430 cals Hip Hop Abs & 30 DS

15 mins HIIT done

0 reps

2x5 mins stretching done

under on carbs- 90g
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Melissa, it *is* failing to complete the weekly challenge that gets one eliminated...and theoretically, if everybody completed the weekly challenge, then those who did the least would be eliminated. So, except for the risk of over-doing and injuring oneself, yes, it would always be good to do more!

Here's my Thursday:

workout: 90 minutes (30 min circuit, 60 min with Leslie)...545 calories
    HIIT: 15 min
    stretch: 10 min
    no reps

I'm anxious (and nervous) to see the scale this week...I haven't weighed all week, so I am dying to know how much of my Thanksgiving gluttony will have gone away...ummmm, SURELY some of it has gone away!!!

edit...that was a good explanation, kvon!
  • jaajh
    Options
    I agree with the above comments. I think to summarise, Sheri operates in the following way with eliminations:

1) First people to be eliminated are always those that don't complete the week's challenge, so you MUST get that done.
    2) If she can't get enough people to drop (she needs a certain number each week to get down to 10 in the final week) then she will look at who is "not pulling their weight" e.g. not contributing to team numbers etc. But as Pam said, don't kill yourself or do yourself an injury!
    3) Nearer the end (when all the people left are really hard core exercisers!) it often comes down to weight loss. She is very fair and doesn't just look at weight lost THAT week. She knows we all have good and bad weeks, so she takes a more general view of loss since the beginning of the challenge.

Hope that helps Melissa! (And I LOVED your quote!)

SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE!
  • jaajh
    Options
    My encouragement for today is a little different. It is not so much an encouragement to persevere in the challenge, as a chance to reflect and be inspired by a truly great person. One of my BIG heroes, Nelson Mandela has died. The following are 3 of my favourite quotes from the great man. May they inspire you as they do me.

"What counts in life is not the mere fact we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead."

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

And perhaps this one is the most appropriate for this page:

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling - but in rising every time we fall."

RIP Nelson Mandela.:heart:
  • pamcuster
    Options
    "When your past calls, don't answer. It has nothing new to say!"

So, here's to not dwelling on the past, but instead counting on present and future successes!!!

:drinker:

:heart:
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    “There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”

Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)
  • jaajh
    Options
    “There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”

Nelson Mandela (1918-2013)

:heart: :love: :heart:
  • jaajh
    Options
    FRIDAY:

WORKOUT: 60 minutes circuit training
    Calories burned: 620

REPS: 25 x 2 calf raises with hand weights. I did calf raises for the first time last week, so fairly new. Today I added hand weights, to make it totally new :happy:

STRETCHING: 10 minutes done.

HIIT: 15 minutes done
    (1 more set left to do tomorrow morning)

Give up: No bread today, so no press-ups :bigsmile:

Hope the scale smiles for you all tomorrow!
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Friday
    #1 30mins / 297 cals - circuit training. (All w/o's done).
    #2 HIIT - 15 mins
    #3 REPS - zero
    #4 STRETCHING: 10 mins
    #5 Giving up bread -didn't have it today so no penance burpees
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE
  • barkingbetty
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who answered my question about how Sheri does eliminations :flowerforyou:
    Thanks also for the Nelson Mandela quotes :heart: Here is my inspiration for today:

“Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.”
    ― Roger Crawford

Here are my Friday results:
    Workout: none
    Reps: 130 (50 rotating bicep curls, 25 reverse flys, 30 shoulder presses, 25 bent over rows)
    HIIT: none
    Stretch time: 5 minutes (I can't go a day without it now!)
    Personal: No wine = no full sit ups!

I'll get my last bits in tomorrow morning :yawn:

Good luck to all who are weighing in tomorrow morning!!
  • kvonjohn
    Options
    Friday
    60 mins, 326 cals

15 mins HIIT done

25 jackknives

2x5 min stretching done

Under on carbs
  • kvonjohn
    Options
    What time is the posting deadline? I think it was 12pm pst last week but is usually 10am pst on Fridays.
  • jaajh
    Options
    Kristie - I am not sure what the deadline is. To be safe, make sure you get your remaining new reps in (and noted on here) before 10am. If you get anything else done before 12, come back and post again and we will see if we can still add.

My SATURDAY:

WORKOUT: none (my rest day!)

REPS: none

STRETCHING: no - not even that!!!

HIIT: But, yes, I did make an effort to get my last set of HIIT done :happy: Challenge completed for the week :bigsmile:

I am off to a wedding now, but will be back here by 3pm my time (which is still before Sheri's 10 am, so I can update and post weights etc then.)

Hope you all have a great day!

And Donna - I REALLY hope you find a way to connect and can post:frown: Thinking of you!!!

My encouragement for today (which made me chuckle!):

"The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places." (Unknown)

Hoping none of you decide to park :bigsmile:
  • kvonjohn
    Options
    Saturday

15 mins HIIT done

25 new reps done- 25 elevated pushups
  • pamcuster
    Options
    Hi guys!

I don't have anything to report for yesterday, except that I ate some starchy carbs and had to do my penance exercising! (x2 - one set for a chocolate chip cookie and one for a 1/2 serving of lasagna and 1/2 of a breadstick...100 jumping jacks and 20 push-ups!)

Last night, we celebrated my middle son's 15th birthday (he picked lasagna for his bday meal!) He also wanted me to make him an ice cream cake, which I did...and I ate a piece. Boy, was that good...but soooo rich and sweet! Anyway, I couldn't bear the thought of getting on the scale this morning after 1)eating that bad, and 2)yesterday's weigh-in being so good...so I am going with Friday's weigh-in. I'll go over to our other thread and get it posted!

Ali, that encouragement was cute! May we not 'park,' but keep moving forward! (For me this week, that will mean maintaining - and adding to - last week's loss...no small feat 'cause I had a really good loss!

Hope you all have a GREAT Saturday! :heart:
  • barkingbetty
    Options
    Hey Sharks! Congratulations to everyone who lost weight this week :bigsmile:

Here are my results for Saturday:

Workout: 30 minutes stationary bike
    Calories: 225
    Reps: 50 bicycle crunches
    HIIT: 15 minutes (used stationary bike for this)
    Stretch time: 5 minutes

Sharks are LOOKING GOOD! :laugh:
  • barkingbetty
    Options
    Oh yeah - I'm good on giving up wine today, since it's only 11:30 a.m. :tongue: