I hate healthy food.

13»

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Maybe you should try some recipes from the Sneaky Chef? She hides pureed veggies in things like meatloaf or pizza.

I adore the Sneaky Chef! She has done wonders in my house! So many of her puree's you can freeze and use later, so if you're a busy person it makes life so much easier!
  • Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    I am a picky eater too. If you don't mind investing about $5-$10 in spices, heres some Indian curry recipes. They are super cheap, very low cal, lots of nutrition and are extremely tasty too. Even a picky eater like me chows them down like crazy. Alternatively, you can "hide" veggies in stews, pasta sauce, soups etc. Pretty much anything really.

Eggplant Curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/eggplant-curry-449974

Okra Curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/bhindi-spiced-okra-curry-422688

Potato Curry
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/aloo-ki-subzi-indian-potato-curry-274866

Kidney Beans curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lobia-indian-curried-kidney-beans-266369

Lentil soup
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lentil-soup-laal-daal-251611

Fruit Salad:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/fruit-chat-tangy-fruit-salad-233811

Chicken Jalfrezi (chicken with LOTS of veggies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/chicken-jalfrezi-226129

Salan (Indian style stew. Good amount of nutrition and veggies in it if you use okra. Even with potatos its good)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/salan-stew-221609

Good luck. Experiment with veggies. You can also get those frozen mix veggie packs, thaw them out, cook them with rice with some chicken stock.

Thanks, Taunto! My two daughters are from India and we love Indian dishes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I don't think anyone thinks that broccoli tastes as good as a chocolate cake. [...]

Broiled broccoli with a little oil and salt is better then chocolate cake on most days.

Way to miss the point.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    You need to change your mind. What really helped me is whenever I try new vegetable or fruit, I don't just look at calories. I look at nutrition data and look at what nutrients this fruit/vegetable is rich in, how it benefits me.

And I look at unhealthy food and look at NUTRITION and INGREDIENTS, not just calories.

Since I've been doing that, losing weight has been much easier than ever before. I crave fruit and vegetables if I eaten badly the day before, I want and need a healthy meal, just to nourish my body properly. Sure, I can have an off day, but I can't let my body chronically nutritionally starve.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    I'm going to second the person who mentioned Sneaky Chef, there are several other similar books that "hide" veggies in other things.

Jessica Seinfeld wrote the one we have (whose name escapes me). You can add some extra fiber when you're making brownies (for the occasions when you do) by using a can of DRAINED black beans pureed with a cup of water. It takes the place of the oil and the brownies are still really moist. *I* couldn't tell the difference but someone else insisted they could (but only AFTER I told them they were in there....so it might be psychological on their part).

It also calls for using various vegetable purees inside of other foods and reduces fats etc. to make healthier meals.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    i agree with roasting veggies... they're so good like that, especially broccoli and garlic
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    I know this sounds kind of goofy but next summer, plant some of your own with your kids, even in a container garden. I struggled with veggies until I learned how much I liked growing them and learned how good they tasted fresh and unprocessed right out of the garden! It totally changed me how I felt about veggies. It was fun to eat each in their own season. I also love going to farmers' markets. It's also fun to do with kids and it's educational. For me, simple is better and I just don't really like cooked veggies too much so I stick to raw.

Tomatoes with balsalmic vinegar and olive oil is a fave of mine.

That is a fantastic idea!! With kids it would be so amazing!
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    sriracha sauce
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    I am a picky eater too. If you don't mind investing about $5-$10 in spices, heres some Indian curry recipes. They are super cheap, very low cal, lots of nutrition and are extremely tasty too. Even a picky eater like me chows them down like crazy. Alternatively, you can "hide" veggies in stews, pasta sauce, soups etc. Pretty much anything really.

Eggplant Curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/eggplant-curry-449974

Okra Curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/bhindi-spiced-okra-curry-422688

Potato Curry
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/aloo-ki-subzi-indian-potato-curry-274866

Kidney Beans curry
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lobia-indian-curried-kidney-beans-266369

Lentil soup
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/lentil-soup-laal-daal-251611

Fruit Salad:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/fruit-chat-tangy-fruit-salad-233811

Chicken Jalfrezi (chicken with LOTS of veggies)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/chicken-jalfrezi-226129

Salan (Indian style stew. Good amount of nutrition and veggies in it if you use okra. Even with potatos its good)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/salan-stew-221609

Good luck. Experiment with veggies. You can also get those frozen mix veggie packs, thaw them out, cook them with rice with some chicken stock.

Thank you for this! I adore curry, and I just bought some eggplants. Perfect timing. :bigsmile:
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    I don't think anyone thinks that broccoli tastes as good as a chocolate cake. Fact is, food is just fuel so I eat better fuel for the most part. I don't have to like it.

And yes, force your kids to eat them and you should force yourself as well. That's what being a parent is all about...teaching them healthy living.

^ ::thumbs up:::
  • bartaburesi
    bartaburesi Posts: 68 Member
    I love vegies but especially for kids, I have ways to taste vegies more tasty.

First of everything can be pickled. If you don't have any problem with salt, you can eat pickles. Pickling doesn't change the nutrition value of vegies.

If you slice really thin and roast the root vegies like potato, carrot, beet etc. they become chips even though they are not fried. Before roast them prepare a spice mix (I use salt, pepper and cumin mostly) and cover every slice with the mix. You can prepare it for your own taste.

I also steam carrot, zucchini, eggplant, corn, beans, peas, broccoli, brussels sprout etc. (you can add whatever you want but leaves) and prepare a cheese sauce for them. I use cheddar, parmesan, cream cheese and cream. You can find the light versions of them. Vegies become soooooooooooo tasty with cheese.

Another one... Pour some lemon on broccoli and cauliflower, roast them, and eat them with honey mustard sauce. Especially mustard is so good for those two.

And for all the leaves try cream. More precisely light cream :)

Last of all... I thing cabbage is tasty when it's raw. You can try coleslaw maybe. You can prepare a sweet sauce (with honey, sweetener or fruit aroma) and try cabbage with it. Cabbage is good with sugar actually.

By the way sorry for my English if there are mistakes.

Enjoy your meal!
  • unicornc123
    unicornc123 Posts: 6 Member
    Add teaspoon of ranch to veggies
  • living with a 40 yo picky eater i can tell you what has worked to get him to eat vegetables. Fried vegetables he will eat okra, green beans, and zucchini. Dried vegetables he will eat tomatoes and peas this way. Vegetables chopped very fine and not a lot. Basically what has worked best for him is exposure. I never lie about what I'm cooking, and we've only had a blow up twice with meals once when we were first dating and I bought an enchilada with corn in it (ungrateful *kitten*) and the second when I made spaghetti sauce and thinned it with V8.

Ungrateful *kitten*, LOL! I know exactly how you feel. I'm living with a 23 year old picky eater and am having the same problems. It's so hard to eat healthy when you have a significant other who is 5'11, 155 pounds and needs to gain weight if anything!! So frustrating!!

With that said, I can get him to eat veggies by drinking them! Every morning I have a "green-ish" smoothie that consists of raspberries, baby spinach, orange juice (50 trop), 1/4 avacado, a little pineapple, and ground flax seeds. I also make one with raspberries, blueberries, almond milk, banana, and flax. So good, good for you, and it's easy to get down fast!

Good luck girly!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,078 Member
    I really do. I hate most vegetables.. lots of fruit.. I'm a SERIOUS picky eater. I guess my family never forced me to eat it as a kid and I just don't like it.

What are healthy ways to spice up your veggies? IMO it's not fair for me to force my kids to try a bite of veggies.. (they love them) before their main meal.. And me not eat any at all.

I need some ideas please!

I'm not sure if I understand, why would you have to force veggies on your kids if they love them? And why are you eating them before your main meal instead of part of the meal?

Perhaps I've misread the post
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    I really do. I hate most vegetables.. lots of fruit.. I'm a SERIOUS picky eater. I guess my family never forced me to eat it as a kid and I just don't like it.

What are healthy ways to spice up your veggies? IMO it's not fair for me to force my kids to try a bite of veggies.. (they love them) before their main meal.. And me not eat any at all.

I need some ideas please!

Do you like smoothies or blended vegetable/fruit soups cooked or raw? That is a great way to get veggies and you don't even really taste them. I just made a green smoothie with a bunch of spinach and couldn't even taste the spinach.
  • Jessica1173
    Jessica1173 Posts: 62 Member
    Do hate the texture of vegetables or the taste or both? If it is taste you can probably season vegetables the way you like and find ways to prepare them that you like. If it is texture mainly or both, like I and others have said hide it in your food. Vegetables are important to eat. They are so good for you and hardly any calories. It is hard to get enough potassium without eating fruits and vegetables.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Just learn to consider meat healthy.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    IMO its like with kids- most dont like broccoli or something. keep offering. make them try a few bites at the very least. eventually theyll grow a taste for it.

do the same for you.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    This might seam odd... But you can also 'hide them'... because honestly... No one said we had to eat vegetables as a main dish... My mother did that to her kids... cousins... even friends over... None of them notice.

What you do, is you cut them up as small as possible and put them in foods you normally eat. Once you start getting them somewhere you can start getting more later.

Some Dishes to alter or Try:
    Spaghetti: Add Green peppers, Onion, or even a little garlic. Start with a small amount, and chop as tiny as you can... One clove of garlic, Half a onion, Half a green pepper... (me and my husband use 1 onion, 1 green pepper and 3 Cloves of Garlic). Fry in Olive oil (or any oil) Until they are tender... Throw in your normal Spaghetti.
    Alfredo: You can add Mushrooms, Peas, Onion Or Broccoli... To any Alfredo. My personal favorite is Peas, Onion, And Mushrooms Together. You can used canned or fresh. Again start with small amounts. Boil the broccoli until you can put a fork though it.
    Chicken Tetrazzini : Mushrooms, Onion, Green Pepper
    Salisbury Steak: Put Onions in the meat itself. Mushrooms in the sauce.
    Chili: chili beans, Kidney beans, Onion, Green Pepper, Hablano, Garlic.
    Macaroni and Cheese: Peas, Mushrooms, Tuna
    Strogonoff Hamburger Helper: Peas, Mushrooms, Onion.
    Stir Fry : Green Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Baby corn, Mushrooms, Been sprouts, Squash, Carrots... Broccoli... I really don't know of anything you can't put in a stir fry... I hate Squash, with a passion... But I eat it in stir fry.
    (tip... you can also use a blender on vegetables to get them really small.)

Random Items to try:
    Baked Potato: Cut up Fresh broccoli small, and boil until tender. Then Microwave a whole potato (put fork holes in it first). When done... Mash potato with a fork. If the skin bothers you you can remove it but its the most nutritional part. Cover with Shredded Sharp cheddar cheese. Put broccoli on it... Cover with more cheese. Miro wave Until cheese melts. Enjoy!
    Cucumber dip: 2 cucumber, 1 onion, Use a shredder or a blender to cut really fine... the onion finer then the cucumber. Drain well. Mix equal parts Mayo and Sour Cream. (I use half of the smallest container of sour cream to measure the amounts with). Add Cucumber and onion... Mix. Refrigerate until cold... Put on potato chips... Yumm.