Feeling guilty

2»

Replies

• danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    It's not the 5th drink that bothers the alcoholic, it's the 1st. Don't be guilty. Just get back on track and don't let this mess you up.

????
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Depends.

If you continue to eat to your plan on most days and continue to make overall progress, then you should feel ZERO guilt whatsoever. In fact, I would suggest you make something like this a planned part of your overall plan (to eliminate that failure feeling).

If you use this as an excuse to go back to your old habits and stop eating to your plan, then I suppose you can feel some guilt...or at least some remorse...but even then it's not particularly useful.

I suggest the former scenario.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    I guess I feel guilty because 3 months ago I saw the scale at the doctors office say 325...I actually felt sick in my stomach when I saw that...I mean I knew I was obese...I'm not stupid but actually seeing the numbers freaked me out..-47 later I am doing the best I ever have...I am eating right, working out 3 times a week and hopeful the scale will keep going down...but I never ever want to be that big again...I am afraid eating desserts and junk is being weak and I won't be strong enough to achieve my goal...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    No need to feel horrible.
    You have been doing very well. By allowing yourself to enjoy some of the things you like at such an awesome event is perfectly healthy and normal.
    Congrats on your early success and may your dedication to yourself stay strong!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Pffft, don't feel guilty at all! 1 piece of cake isn't going to tip you over the edge & undo all the other hard work.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I guess I feel guilty because 3 months ago I saw the scale at the doctors office say 325...I actually felt sick in my stomach when I saw that...I mean I knew I was obese...I'm not stupid but actually seeing the numbers freaked me out..-47 later I am doing the best I ever have...I am eating right, working out 3 times a week and hopeful the scale will keep going down...but I never ever want to be that big again...I am afraid eating desserts and junk is being weak and I won't be strong enough to achieve my goal...

To sum up what I posted earlier...

...eating that cake will not keep your from reaching your goal...

...but your reaction to it very possibly could, if you let it. As long as you continue to stick to your overall plan, you will succeed (assuming, of course, your plan is sound).

And if "breaking/craving" is a problem for you, consider scheduling a treat into your plan.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    You ARE strong! Look how well you've done so far. But as others have said, you now need to learn to work a few splurges into your plan and still make it work for the long haul. You've proven you can do that - you had one piece of cake, not three plus a quart of punch. You'll even have some days where you go way over your calories. In the long run, it doesn't matter. Just get back on track and keep going.