Looking for chicks who lift!

124»

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    I lifted heavy (SL5x5) for a few months, then I trained for a Half-Marathon and lost all that strength. I'm picking up the barbells again; this is my second week back. So pretty much just a baby-lifter again.
  • LucyKreczak
    LucyKreczak Posts: 9 Member
    I do TRX training......not quite lifting but feel free to add me!! x
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    IN

im a 5/3/1 girl

how are you liking that?

I was trying a 5 x 5 program and I hated it- switched to pyramids (no particular program) and have been considering 5/3/1 because I'm REALLY REALLY partial to high % of 1RM.

haven't heard many people talk about it
    how do you like it?
    how long have you been doing it?
    have you seen notable improvement on your lifts?

Its perfection. strstd.com builds your pyramids for you for a four week cycle, then you plug in your maxes again and rerun it for the next 4 weeks. tracks your progress. simple, bare bones program. choose your own accessories pack.

Big But Boring accessory pack is the bomb, especially if you switch the accessories for your bench and ohp day, and switch the accessories for your DL and squat days.

I see steady, regulated results and ive come to find it being my sort of solid mental base. I use the 5/3/1 theory for everything - even getting through crazy work projects now.

It not only helps you steadily increase, but it follows it up with cardio endurance lifting - for example - I will deadlift a 3 set warm up at 50%/60%/70% of my max. Then 5 reps at 80%, 3 reps at 90% and 1 rep + for a PR/strength increase. Then I will Squat 5 sets of 10 at 60-70% of my max for endurance.

Ive been at it since November/December 2012 and Ive dropped 4% bodyfat, lost 25 pounds, a handful of inches on my waist. I went from deadlifting 80 pounds to 200. benching nothing to 80. Squatting nothing to 145. OHP was hardest, but i hear it usually it for most girls, but im still at half-bodyweight there too.

My form never suffers cause it keeps me moving at the right pace based on my own results. Solid program. probably will always come back to this one.

PRs keep me motivated, this keeps me getting them and never lets me sit in a comfort zone ever. it has a deload week once every three weeks - which ensures that the week after, you can hit a new PR either with reps or weight.

I will always suggest it when someone serious is looking for direction and instruction, and already has the desire and the equipment.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I lifted heavy (SL5x5) for a few months, then I trained for a Half-Marathon and lost all that strength. I'm picking up the barbells again; this is my second week back. So pretty much just a baby-lifter again.

same here but with a spartan, i have a tough mudder saturday and then im starting a new cycle. WOO!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Anyone here can feel free to add me. I started Stronglifts in March and have been doing some sort of version of it since then. I'm probably moving more towards more of an aesthetic program like Strong Curves, but that still has a lot of heavy stuff, too.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Getting back at it myself, I much prefer lifting to endless cardio sessions on the treadmill. I'm doing the 12 week lower body only Strong Curves program and adding my own upper body weights with 1-2 days of "cardio" thrown in if I feel the urge to be at the gym more than 3 days a week.
  • Idka81
    Idka81 Posts: 42
    Me too! I'm learning and would love more advice and guidance. Thanks.
  • chrissyreneet
    chrissyreneet Posts: 52 Member
    Just started Stronglifts 5x5 last week and looking to add heavy lifters to my FL. Fell free to add me.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    I just got started lifting this month and am LOVING it. No Stronglifts or any of those programs for me, although I'd like to go that direction eventually. Right now I'm doing a program a trainer set up for me 3x a week--squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, etc. and hopefully something to shape up my triceps! They're like overcooked noodles right now!

Edited to add that I would be really excited to have some more lifting friends! Please do add me.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Meeeeee!!!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    feel free to add me, I am one of the old chicks who lifts. I do TBS (total body sweat) (also known as group power.) It is weights set to music, an hour a session, 2x a week. I started at the beginning of this summer. I love that I am making progress, I can now clean and press twice as much as when I started. I can SEE my bicep and beginning to see definition elsewhere too, and my butt is less droopy!
  • Began Starting Strength a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it. Decided I can't be stuffed trying to fight my stocky build anymore with diets and would rather be strong. Feeling much better since making that decision. Still trying to sort out my food so I'm getting good nutrition to support my weight training ... Keen as for lifting friends as I have a lot to learn :) Anyone can add me :)
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    You can add me too! Been lifting with a PT for about 3 months. but did the Jamie Eason program off bodybuilding prior to the hiring the PT. working with PT mainly because with 5 knee surgeries..squats scared me. I hit a PR a last week with a bench of 5 reps 95#. Love getting stronger. Squat form still needs lots of work. Weak hips and "the mental thing". I absolutely love the feeling of lifting heavy and all the compound moves.
    I am in for the duration! :flowerforyou:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    IN

im a 5/3/1 girl

how are you liking that?

I was trying a 5 x 5 program and I hated it- switched to pyramids (no particular program) and have been considering 5/3/1 because I'm REALLY REALLY partial to high % of 1RM.

haven't heard many people talk about it
    how do you like it?
    how long have you been doing it?
    have you seen notable improvement on your lifts?

Its perfection. strstd.com builds your pyramids for you for a four week cycle, then you plug in your maxes again and rerun it for the next 4 weeks. tracks your progress. simple, bare bones program. choose your own accessories pack.

Big But Boring accessory pack is the bomb, especially if you switch the accessories for your bench and ohp day, and switch the accessories for your DL and squat days.

I see steady, regulated results and ive come to find it being my sort of solid mental base. I use the 5/3/1 theory for everything - even getting through crazy work projects now.

It not only helps you steadily increase, but it follows it up with cardio endurance lifting - for example - I will deadlift a 3 set warm up at 50%/60%/70% of my max. Then 5 reps at 80%, 3 reps at 90% and 1 rep + for a PR/strength increase. Then I will Squat 5 sets of 10 at 60-70% of my max for endurance.

Ive been at it since November/December 2012 and Ive dropped 4% bodyfat, lost 25 pounds, a handful of inches on my waist. I went from deadlifting 80 pounds to 200. benching nothing to 80. Squatting nothing to 145. OHP was hardest, but i hear it usually it for most girls, but im still at half-bodyweight there too.

My form never suffers cause it keeps me moving at the right pace based on my own results. Solid program. probably will always come back to this one.

PRs keep me motivated, this keeps me getting them and never lets me sit in a comfort zone ever. it has a deload week once every three weeks - which ensures that the week after, you can hit a new PR either with reps or weight.

I will always suggest it when someone serious is looking for direction and instruction, and already has the desire and the equipment.

Ladies, join up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056132-5-3-1-support-thread