Scapegoat of this decade: Sugar.

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    And sugar is "unhealthy" in what universe? Sorry but health is not a red bar that hovers over your head as you walk around and gets shorter when you eat sugar.

I dunno. I just got hit with a few pieces of candy corn and my red health bar is almost gone. I'm not the only one either. Other people are falling to the ground as I type this. Darn candy corn and all that sugar. :laugh:

***not one bit serious. GW2 Halloween event***
    Yeah, I'm in serious trouble. I just discovered how good blueberry flavored Tootsie Rolls are. :love:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    This thread reminds me of an old Clash lyric...
    "I believe in this
    And it's been tested by research
    He who f***s nuns
    Will later join the church..."
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    I think the main problem is excess. Yes, we all love our treats, but in today's society, many became overweight by eating in excess, and for some, limiting sugar helps them limit eating in excess. For some, that is all there is to it.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    there is an interesting lecture at a medical school about sugar on you tube. You may want to watch it . There is your scientific evidence that sugar can be very bad and actually toxic for you depending on what KIND of sugar you consume and how it occurs. The lecturer addresses the fact how sugar can lead to obesity and that not all sugars are created equal and do lead to our obesity epidemic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    The problem with statements like "sugar is unhealthy" is that HEALTH IS SUBJECTIVE. You get the right to dictate what your standard of health is for yourself, but not for anyone else. That's just the bottom line for me in discussions like this.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    there is an interesting lecture at a medical school about sugar on you tube. You may want to watch it . There is your scientific evidence that sugar can be very bad and actually toxic for you depending on what KIND of sugar you consume and how it occurs. The lecturer addresses the fact how sugar can lead to obesity and that not all sugars are created equal and do lead to our obesity epidemic.

Buddy??????

ja, das ist lustig!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    In cause this keeps popping up on the message board......

Oh and I found the scary sugar monster, here he is:

sugar_demon_zpsbc6b136c.gif
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

Mmmmmm, come give Mama a big hug.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

/lick
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member

/lick

Back off - I saw him first.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Just looked at OP's diary - it explains a lot

Makes a rude comment about someone else's diary, but has a closed one herself. Well you're just something special.
  • enidite
    Quote:
    Buddy????
    " ja das ist lustig" (yes that is funny) . ????? oh yeah , really?

Maybe you should watch it before you judge it?

I am not quite sure why people seem to feel free to ridicule other people's posts just because they may not 100% agree with what they say. I happen to agree with what is said in this lecture .Sugar can be the culprit in obesity This does not relieve us from our responsibility of what we eat, but it also does not relieve our society from its responsibility to create a healthier environment and more reasonable agricultural policies.
    This is my opinion and does not mean you have to agree, but it also does not mean that you need to make fun of me just because you do not agree with me. Like a previous poster said health is everyone's personal definition.
    However, it is very discouraging when I post here and get condescending comments like the above (besides the fact that a few words of German don't make it any funnier IMHO). I believe most of us are here for support and to exchange ideas and not to belittle each other.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    " ja das ist lustig" (yes that is funny) . Maybe you should watch it before you judge it?

wine-and-judge.gif?w=560
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

I see your Lustig video and raise you an alan aragon blog rebuttal:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    I've always loved this quote from UC Berkeley anthropologist Katharine Milton:

"Do you really think ancestral humans went out and said, “We’re going out to get some French fries today”? No, they said, “With any luck, praying to the sun God, or whomever we revere, we’re hoping to get something to eat.” They don’t care what it is—a lizard, an elephant, a bunch of fruit, roots, a bunch of grubs. The human diet has always been whatever you can get your mitts on that won’t kill you and you can digest. That’s it. Simple as pie."

We are not 'designed' to eat a single diet. Sugar is fine. Fat is fine. Carbs are fine. Protein is fine. Grubs are fine. To say we are 'supposed to eat' a certain way is to grossly misunderstand human evolution.

I love it - we are omnivores, no doubt about it.
  • CyberEd312

/lick

Lady's!! There's enough to go around.... :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312

/lick

Lady's!! There's enough to go around.... :flowerforyou:

Oh Wait!! My Bad.... Sugar Monster........ Got it..... Carry on....... :drinker:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member

I'm glad to see that someone on this website is aware of how serious a problem sugar can be. I see all these 'eat what you want' people and it just blows my mind. Eating what we want is why people are overweight to begin with! It's much better to just cut out those trigger foods and focus on a healthful whole foods diet! If we were so good at dealing with temptation places like this wouldn't need to exist; it's better to acknowledge our weakness and just work around them.

Sugar is delicious and that's what makes it so dangerous!
  • enidite
    hmmm , I don't think that it was said that all sugar is bad. Fructose such as in high fructose corn syrup is bad because of the way it has to be metabolized.