Do you leash your kid?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Perhaps those against them should have had my son for a day or so. ADHD with ODD. Now you try holding his hand while doing shopping, having your hands full & then trying to not have him run out of the store, onto the road or worse....just running off & not finding him.... he'd done that so many times before we got one. Do you know what it is like to let go of his hand for just a second while you grab something right next to you & find him gone...then find him standing right next to a very very busy road (cause you have been going MENTAL looking for him)

Then add what you lot call a 'leash' and I can shop, have my hands full and know he is right there with me.

WTF gives people the right to judge why a child is on one of those if you do not know why at all? Some people have no clue & you should be ashamed. I was verbally abused so many times by people who I didn't know & did not know why he needed this.

FOR HIS OWN SAFETY...not for convenience... nothing convenient about it.
  • I did use a Monkey strap as they are correctly named NOT a leash. You walk a dog with a leash. You keep your child safe from predators when you use a monkey strap on your child.
    But then in order to understand it from a safety side, you would have to understand what its like to have a child that A) has been kidnapped, B) A child that bolts out onto a road (kids have NO real road sense until they're 10) but then I've seen adults with none either. C) If you have a child in a pram, an older child that loves to escape from mum or dad.

Please stop thinking of it as parents being lazy.
    And honestly stop calling it a leash because they are called Monkey straps for children that are at times little rascals.

I don't really care who does and who doesn't put their child in a monkey strap, in all honesty to me that's one more child that cannot be grabbed, never to be seen again, or found alive to live with any trauma they may have suffered.
    Please look at it from both sides as its never a one way thing.
    I say they are great for safety reasons.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    A friend of mine has a little brother that they used a leash with. They had 5 kids total and only one of them ever had to wear a leash. His little brother was just.. demonic. Had he not worn a leash I doubt he'd still be here. All of his other siblings were fine. The parents did a great job raising all of them. They just had one kid that was more of a handful than I've ever seen. I would have put a leash on him too.
  • I seen the leashes on children and I think its disgusting my children were never on them
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Leashing a child is so disgusting and repulsive IMO...
    I couldn't and wouldn't ever do that to a child.

My stomach turns when I see leashed kids as if they were dogs or something.
    Absolutely outrageous.

When raised well, you don't need to worry about them walking away.
    That's a lack of discipline on one end and lack of attention on the other end.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I seen the leashes on children and I think its disgusting my children were never on them

Wow, you must be perfect and so must your children. Would you like a medal?

And to the previous poster - if I found someone had taken photos of my kids and put them on Facebook without my permission I would be prosecuting!

I bet you never walk anywhere so your kids running off is not an issue!
  • DawnieB1977

Absolutely outrageous.

Do you think an 18 month old running off is a lack of discipline, or a child being curious? Get a grip.

Sorry, I forgot, you're probably American and keep a child in a stroller until they're 5! That's perfectly acceptable of course!
  • MissChyna
    Smh
  • MissChyna
    Do you think an 18 month old running off is a lack of discipline, or a child being curious? Get a grip.
    ^^^Hence I also said lack of attention (pertaining to the adult)

Sorry, I forgot, you're probably American and keep a child in a stroller until they're 5! That's perfectly acceptable of course!
    ^^^ No...and anyone who keeps their child in a stroller that long is a lazy bum
  • Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member

Really necessary to bad mouth Americans?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I was also one of those terrible (as I was actually told once) mothers who used a playpen so I could keep a clean house and shower (things some mommy-martyrs cannot manage to do when playpens are seen as evil torture chamber devices derived solely to break the parent-child bond.

---> Did I mention that I am glad to be way past all this stuff ;-)

Very glad to be past all that. You're goreous by the way.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member

Absolutely outrageous.

I take it you don't have children? Let's hope you never do. Discipline a 18 moth old & see where that gets you.

It's got nothing to do with that at all.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    man-on-a-leash-5.jpg

I read somewhere that the child learns to prefer the leash, and feels safe with it, and learns to like the limitations & constraints.

But if used excessively, they willl grow up passive, and like to wear leather collars & leashes, and will seek a dominant mate.

mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be ...

• padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    The list of 100 things to do to raise the perfect child, in the perfect world must have been in the "Owner's Manual" some of you received when you left the hospital with your newborns. I guess our hospital was out of them when our boys were born because we never received one. Yeah, the parent beating their child for slipping out of their free hand, the other is holding their cell phone to their ear, is a much better, concerned parent, than the one that goes through the trouble of buying, figuring how to put on, and maneuvers busy places holding onto the strap.

My kids didn't need corrective shoes, I did, and you can damn well better believe if they needed them, they would have worn them! Because it is so much better to watch kids and later adults point at them instead of putting something on them that they will never remember.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I seen the leashes on children and I think its disgusting my children were never on them
    Not all children are the same as your children ,you know - and what works for you might not work for other people and vice versa.

My children were never on them either - but I dont have any problem with other people using them if it works for them
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    If by the time your child is walking, and you feel the need to leash them....somethings up! Not necessarily with the child....

What rubbish.

Some children are different to others and some parents find different things work for them.

That's all there is to it.

Cant believe the big deal some posters are making about what other parents find works for them.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    I was leashed.

I remember it looked like a giant plastic springy coil key ring that was attached to 2 wrist bands. Then one of the bands was attached to me.

There was also a waist attachment, which they also put on me sometimes.

It was humiliating.

OMG, Im so sorry you had to experience that. I never knew it existed. That's very disturbing. I'm surprised its legal in the USA, if spanking kids is illegal.
  • DawnieB1977
    If by the time your child is walking, and you feel the need to leash them....somethings up! Not necessarily with the child....

My daughter walked at 9.5 months old! Sure, at that age she understood all about road safety!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member

My daughter walked at 9.5 months old! Sure, at that age she understood all about road safety!

I guess that's why there are parents, right? To look after the kids and teaching them how to behave.

I must admit reading this thread and all those opinions pro leashing is shocking to me. I was raised always knowing that I'm being respected and treated as a human being, not as a dog. That leashing must cause serious emotional damage to the kids