Do you leash your kid?

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    i dont leash mine.

but now thati think about it. one of my brothers growing up probably could have used one.we would go to the store and youd have a hand on the back of his neck then youd hear a noise, look away , one second later youd look back at you hand where he was and you were holding a stick instead. Modern day Houdini.
    Ha! Yep, I had one of those!
  • I leash anything that moves :smokin:
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    I'm not an American to start with, I live in Europe. And no, I've never seen a child on a leash or whatever you call it.

I don't have any kids yet but I have plenty experience with kids, including taking care of my bf's kids. They're pretty crazy little girls but I've never thought of leashing them, just asking them to behave, explaining them that it's important to pay attention and act like ladies they're. They just simply hold my hands on streets and walk by me, no leash needed.

I thought this thread was a joke

If a child is capable of understanding the concept of "acting like a lady", then the child is obviously beyond the age of restraint being a real issue.

Babysitting for older children is to parenthood as a prom date is to marriage.

They're 3 and 5. And yes, they can act crazy but not in public places. Because they're raised well and know their manners. Obviously, can't take credit for that, I'm not their mother. But they don't create me any problems when living with us.
  • YaGigi
    I leash anything that moves :smokin:

Hi there. Wanna get leashed? :) I'll baby you, lol.
  • I leash anything that moves :smokin:

Hi there. Wanna get leashed? :) I'll baby you, lol.

If you can beat me in arm wrestling.....if not...dog collar for you :devil:
  • DamePiglet
    I'm not an American to start with, I live in Europe. And no, I've never seen a child on a leash or whatever you call it.

I don't have any kids yet but I have plenty experience with kids, including taking care of my bf's kids. They're pretty crazy little girls but I've never thought of leashing them, just asking them to behave, explaining them that it's important to pay attention and act like ladies they're. They just simply hold my hands on streets and walk by me, no leash needed.

If a child is capable of understanding the concept of "acting like a lady", then the child is obviously beyond the age of restraint being a real issue.

They're 3 and 5. And yes, they can act crazy but not in public places. Because they're raised well and know their manners. Obviously, can't take credit for that, I'm not their mother. But they don't create me any problems when living with us.

Sounds like you're continuing what their mom started. Kudos :-)
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    I love when people leash their kids, especially at amusement parks....I immediately snap a pic and mock them on FB.

I have 2 young ones, never used a leash, everyone still alive. :flowerforyou:

I had 3 kids, all still alive and I didn't use leashes either but I don't award myself a medal for that or have any objections to those who do use them.
    Any more than any other item or technique which I happened not to use but which worked for others.

I hope your first sentence isn't serious - that really would be quite pathetic.

Oh, I'm serious.... :bigsmile:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    One thing I notice that there are those on here that are very willing to judge someone's parenting skills because they have used a harness. There seems to be some on here that are quick to blame the parents for lack of training or just pure laziness.

I liked to think in most cases those parents are trying to keep their kids safe in a difficult situation and have their children's best interest at heart. I know from experience that I'd much rather have my daughter on a harness then in front of a car and she is the sort of child that even with 3 adults watching her can disappear in seconds.

Those who take pictures and post them on Facebook - how do you know that the child is not special needs. My autistic son used to have a wrist strap till he was 7 and he was the one wanting it as it made him feel more secure.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I don't think it's anyone else's business how parents raise their kids. I don't have kids, but if I had one who was prone to dashing off I sure as hell would use a leash, and I wouldn't care what the kid, or anybody else, thought.
  • DamePiglet
    I love when people leash their kids, especially at amusement parks....I immediately snap a pic and mock them on FB.

I had 3 kids, all still alive and I didn't use leashes either but I don't award myself a medal for that or have any objections to those who do use them.
    Any more than any other item or technique which I happened not to use but which worked for others.

Who's watching your kids while you're on your phone? :glasses:
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member

If you want to be a jerk that's up to you, but you might want to look up the laws where you live. A lot of places have implemented laws regarding taking photos of other's children and posting them to social media, especially with malicious intent. Otherwise you better hope like hell the wrong person doesn't see you doing it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    If by the time your child is walking, and you feel the need to leash them....somethings up! Not necessarily with the child....

My daughter walked at 9.5 months old! Sure, at that age she understood all about road safety!

I guess that's why there are parents, right? To look after the kids and teaching them how to behave.

I must admit reading this thread and all those opinions pro leashing is shocking to me. I was raised always knowing that I'm being respected and treated as a human being, not as a dog. That leashing must cause serious emotional damage to the kids

LOL

they've been used in the UK for decades (except they're called reins, because they don't go around the child's neck) -not only did my mum put me in reins as a toddler, if I threw a tantrum in a shop she picked me up by the back of the harness (which goes around the child's chest) and carried me out of the shop so I could calm down somewhere quiet.

Guess what.... no emotional damage. in fact I probably learned not to throw tantrums in shops a lot more quickly. And no emotional damage to the millions of other British kids whose parents used reins when they were toddlers, where they have been used for decades. It's normal in the UK because our pavements (sidewalks) tend to be narrow, so it only takes a second for a kid to end up under the wheels of a car.

BTW holding a kid's hand probably does work 99% of the time. But what about the 1% of the time they get away? What if you're next to a busy road? You'd seriously put your imagined emotional damage (which there's no evidence for whatsoever) ahead of a child's actual, real, physical safety? You'd walk a 1 year old child down a busy British street just a metre away from traffic, and think that your reaction time if they slip their hand out of yours, is goodenough to stop them getting killed? It only takes a second, and it also takes a second for your brain to process what's going on, and by then it could be too late. And yes, this happens, or did you miss the post from the lady in this thread who posted about that happening to a little girl in her neighbourhood?

Also, if you are trying to stop a child from running away from you, reins are safer than hand holding. Forcibly holding a small child's hand while they try to run away can actually result in the child's elbow being dislocated (their little baby joints are not very strong). That happened to a child I know, and it wouldn't have happened if said child had been on reins when they made a dash for it, because with reins, the force is spread over a wide area of the torso, which is a much stronger part of their body that their arm. If you're restraining a toddler by their arm, that's a huge force on their elbow and shoulder, and the elbow is the weaker of the two (although if there have been cases of dislocated shoulders from this, I wouldn't be surprised at all). Toddlers do not know their limits, they have no sense of danger at all. They will try to run away fast enough, or throw themselves on the ground hard enough to dislocate their elbow if you hold their hand tight enough to stop them. Or, if they manage to slip your grip rather than their bones being dislocated, then they slip your grip and could run into traffic of some other danger.

It really amazes me how much hatred some Americans have for something that is purely for a child's safety. And toddlers really couldn't give a rat's hairy behind whether dogs have leashes (which look nothing at all like a child's reins) or not. They're too young to be humiliated by anything like that. The fact you even think that they would be shows how little you actually know about toddlers. You seem to expect them to be able to just learn to walk and be like mini adults, which isn't what happens. You're shocked by people being in favour of safety devices that stop kids from being killed by cars. I'm shocked that anyone would be against something that could save a child's life....

I thought this thread was a joke at first.

^^^ the bit in bold.... exactly. You don't have kids. Looking after someone else's kids are not the same. And you may think your bf's girls are "crazy" but if they are 1-2 years old and understand when you explain to them why they should pay attention and act like ladies, then they must be child prodigies. Or perhaps they're not aged 1-2 years which is the age most kids are when parents use reins on them. Not understanding danger and being curious and wanting to explore, and not understanding their mother's explanation of why they should hold hands and walk nicely, is a normal part of toddler development. You're in for a rude shock when you have your own kids if you think your toddlers are just going to listen to you and understand the same way as a school age kid would. Maybe you'll be lucky and have really placid preschoolers, but there's no guarantee of that.

And I like that you've conveniently ignored all the points I've made about child safety, including the fact that attempting to restrain a child who dashes away from you by gripping their hand can result in their elbow dislocating. So your child is not on reins, they make a dash for the road, you're either going to grip their hand tight enough that they can't get away and risk damaging the joints in their arm, or you're not going to grip their hand tight enough and they'll dash away from you.... possibly right into the path of an oncoming car (toddlers have absolutely no sense of danger).

anyway, back to the bit in bold. You don't have kids of your own, even if you did, it doesn't mean that your kids are like other kids, and it doesn't give you the right to be so harshly judgemental of parents for what.... for using a piece of equipment that is for their child's safety. Are you like this about child car seats as well? You know, the ones that help protect kids if they're in a car accident? Because it's the same principle. I'm sure I can keep my kids sitting down nicely in the back of the car while I'm driving, but that's missing the point of what they're for. Reins are not for controlling a child's behaviour, you cannot control a child with reins, unless you want to drag your child along the floor on his or her back, which would be cruel and ridiculous. They're a safety precaution, you still have to teach your child to walk nicely and hold hands *while* using the reins. They're just there to stop them getting very far, should they make a dash for the road, as toddlers do tend to be unpredictable and very easily distracted....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    One thing I notice that there are those on here that are very willing to judge someone's parenting skills because they have used a harness. There seems to be some on here that are quick to blame the parents for lack of training or just pure laziness.

I think the problem is that some people seem to think that reins can be used to control a child or make them behave, when actually that's not what they're for, and not actually possible. You can't use them to control what direction a child walks in, if you pull them in a different direction, they fall over. You can't use them to stop them from throwing a tantrum, because they can still throw themselves on the floor, sit down, refuse to walk, all of that. They are for the child's safety, and if parents think they can stop a small child from dashing into the road unexpectedly... well that's like thinking you'll never have a car accident or never fall down the stairs. You can be careful, really really careful, you can be vigilant, but some things only take a split second to happen and in the case of a toddler dashing into a busy road, that split second could end their life.

I'm still astounded that this is even an issue.

and the most lazy option is to strap the child in a stroller, then you can push the stroller along and forget the child is even there... (not that there aren't valid reasons for using a stroller as well.... just that it is actually far easier to put a child in a stroller than have them walk next to you on reins... )
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member

You would expect at 3 and 5 that they're old enough to understand and hold your hand nicely. My son started doing this at 2.5. I also had a 6 month old at the same time. My son is 4 now and perfectly sensible when we're out. Kids start school at 4 in England so you'd expect them to be able to listen to instructions and understand about road safety!

My daughter is nearly 2.5 and still in that 'terrible twos' stage so she's harder work!

I meant to also say we had an awful case in England several years ago where two young boys kidnapped a toddler from a shopping centre and tortured and killed him. Had that toddler been on reins it never would've happened and that child would be alive. I know that's not the norm, but you can't take risks when you're somewhere incredibly busy. If my kids had been taken, or run over, because I was worried about them being humiliated by being on reins (as if a child who is young enough to have huge tantrums in public and still poos on a nappy can be humiliated by reins anyway!) then I never would've forgiven myself.
  • YaGigi
    [

^^^ the bit in bold.... exactly. You don't have kids. Looking after someone else's kids are not the same. And you may think your bf's girls are "crazy" but if they are 1-2 years old and understand when you explain to them why they should pay attention and act like ladies, then they must be child prodigies. Or perhaps they're not aged 1-2 years which is the age most kids are when parents use reins on them. Not understanding danger and being curious and wanting to explore, and not understanding their mother's explanation of why they should hold hands and walk nicely, is a normal part of toddler development. You're in for a rude shock when you have your own kids if you think your toddlers are just going to listen to you and understand the same way as a school age kid would. Maybe you'll be lucky and have really placid preschoolers, but there's no guarantee of that.

And I like that you've conveniently ignored all the points I've made about child safety, including the fact that attempting to restrain a child who dashes away from you by gripping their hand can result in their elbow dislocating. So your child is not on reins, they make a dash for the road, you're either going to grip their hand tight enough that they can't get away and risk damaging the joints in their arm, or you're not going to grip their hand tight enough and they'll dash away from you.... possibly right into the path of an oncoming car (toddlers have absolutely no sense of danger).

anyway, back to the bit in bold. You don't have kids of your own, even if you did, it doesn't mean that your kids are like other kids, and it doesn't give you the right to be so harshly judgemental of parents for what.... for using a piece of equipment that is for their child's safety. Are you like this about child car seats as well? You know, the ones that help protect kids if they're in a car accident? Because it's the same principle. I'm sure I can keep my kids sitting down nicely in the back of the car while I'm driving, but that's missing the point of what they're for. Reins are not for controlling a child's behaviour, you cannot control a child with reins, unless you want to drag your child along the floor on his or her back, which would be cruel and ridiculous. They're a safety precaution, you still have to teach your child to walk nicely and hold hands *while* using the reins. They're just there to stop them getting very far, should they make a dash for the road, as toddlers do tend to be unpredictable and very easily distracted....

I wouldn't compare kids on a leash to the car seats, completely different situations. People all over the world use the car seats in order to protect a child during driving, not just the possible car accidents. And not too many people, I hope, leash their kids, maybe it's common in England but not in other countries. Because yes, it's associated with animals, dogs. Humans are leashed when they need to be dominated or humiliated, often in a sexual way, therefore seeing it with kids is shocking.

I would understand that if living in England would be much more dangerous than living in any other country, and Englsh kids make it their priority to jump under a car, and there's no other way but putting them on a leash. But there is and parents all over the world do it somehow.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    They are called reins in UK and have been around for years. Nothing to do with parents being lazy, just safety really. Any child can slip a hand really quick but for parents with a walking toddler and a baby in a pram, holding hands is not that easy and most two year olds are not particularly compliant all of the time. It can take less than a few seconds for a child to run into the road in front of car!!!! My kids are fully grown now and I only really used reins when the older one was around two and I was pregnant with his brother and therefore not the fastest of moving. They were very useful for every day walking, of which we did a lot since I had no access to a car!!!!!! Walking everywhere is more common here, or at least it was. As my son got older he was trained to hold onto the pram of his brother at all times but, as he was three by then, he had a lot better understanding of what was expected.
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    No never ever ever. My daughter is now 3 and have never even considered it. She holds my hand generally, and when she doesn't she knows to stop and wait at a road (then holds my hand)
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    [

I wouldn't compare kids on a leash to the car seats, completely different situations. People all over the world use the car seats in order to protect a child during driving, not just the possible car accidents. And not too many people, I hope, leash their kids, maybe it's common in England but not in other countries. Because yes, it's associated with animals, dogs. Humans are leashed when they need to be dominated or humiliated, often in a sexual way, therefore seeing it with kids is shocking.

I would understand that if living in England would be much more dangerous than living in any other country, and Englsh kids make it their priority to jump under a car, and there's no other way but putting them on a leash. But there is and parents all over the world do it somehow.

Towns are a lot smaller in Uk and as a result it is far more common I expect to walk the streets with your children in tow, School buses are not that common either so parents walk kids to school with younger ones in tow
  • taliar93
    taliar93 Posts: 111 Member
    I don't have kids, but I offer the outside perspective, I wait at the bus stop (and do so several times a week), I see out of the corner of my eye a kid walking dangerously close to the lane that buses barrel into every few minutes, I wait and see if their parents have noticed yet, nope, they're too busy with their new baby, this kid is 2-4 I dunno I'm never around kids, all I know is that kid is FAR too close to that lane, and the bus will be coming soon, finally, the dad notices, chases his kid to catch her, she then proceeds to run into the mall next to the bus stop, they're gone for several minutes, the mum is looking at her watch anxiously, they're taking a long time and the bus will be here soon, finally the dad emerges with his daughter, then proceeds to smack her for running around. They're sitting there talking casually as their kid is crying her eyes out from the sting of that smack, and I'm sitting here thinking "all of this could have been avoided if she was on a leash" They didn't notice how close she was to being splattered by the bus, how easily somebody could have walked off with her when she ran into that mall, none of that.

This happens so often it's truly perplexing to me why so many don't leash their kid, I'm not saying you're irresponsible if you don't leash, frankly I don't really care, It's not my kid, It's not my responsibility. But it takes two seconds for something to go terribly wrong, they've started putting "hand leashes" on prams here, a simple wrist strap, attached to the pram that you put your hand into when you're walking, seems trivial, seems silly even, but it's not silly when you hear the story of a woman who took less than a minute to take her hands off her pram, answer her cell phone, and her baby and pram rolled into the river, it wasn't even on what could be considered an incline, it just happened, they found him, still strapped to his pram 2 hours later, he was 18 months old.

It seems like the sane thing to do when you think a leash could have prevented what happened to James Bulger (look it up if you don't know, not for the weak stomached) It makes sense when you see ever amber alert for a child that's just been snatched.

Do I plan on leashing my children? You're damn right I do.
  • BATAB
    BATAB Posts: 13 Member
    My Mom used a leash on me. I was an adventurous and independent kid and did not want to hold her hand. My mom was very progressive for her time.