Going away for 2 weeks and ery stressed:-(

2»

Replies

• 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Don't worry about the carbs - most of them will be complex and good for your energy stores. Enjoy them. They are not evil.

It takes 3,500 calories in excess of what you burn in order to gain 1 lb of fat. So, let's say you indulge and come out with an extra 500 cal/day that you eat (which is quite a bit), in on week that is 1 lb of fat. In two weeks, that is 2 lbs of fat you might gain from indulging a bit, or being less active. Not much. You can drop that quickly when you return home. You lose the same amount by having a deficit of calories, which is what you are doing now. With a weekly deficit of 3,500 cal (or 500 per day), you lose 1 lb of fat. No problem.

If you have a good feel for how "hungry" you are on your current deficit of calories, try to use that as a gage of when/how much to eat while there. That might help keep you close to your goals.

Or, when possible, "sleep in" and skip breakfast (or just have some coffee). Or just skip breakfast (hard to do when with family, but look for opportunities). Eating zero calories is a good way to help meet your goals when you know large meals are ahead of you (like lunch or dinner). Then do not over-indulge.

India would be a great place to visit! I've been to Haiti twice, and I LOVE the food! When I go back, I'll not worry about any weight gain. I'm going to eat as much as is available (which is really not in excess - it's Haiti), and drop any gains when I get home. We have the tools to do it - reduce how much we eat below what we burn.

Have a great time!
  • Kyog
    Kyog Posts: 32
    Hi syk731, I have done that when I have taken vacations. I have always exercised ( easy access since most hotels have gyms) and I eat healthy. This time its different since I doubt that my home town has any decent gym and my family back home is vegetarian and not necessarily focused at all on healthy foods. If you know Indian food, it is full of carbs. I am not saying that its unhealthy but its not the way I eat any more. Plus Indian weddings are 4 to 5 days of heavy partying.........

aaarrrggghhhh!

Wish I could go and eat authentic veggie indian food!

Know what you mean though, went to Japan for two weeks recently - lots of carby noodles, white rice etc...just didn't weigh myself before and after, was just reeeally strict and healthy the week before, and really strict a few days after I got back.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I travel internationally all the time. And last week went to a wedding. I came back bloated from salt and it all went away in four days. Then I lost a pound.

Portion control. Choose delicious food that is very flavorful and eat it in small doses.

Watch the sauces and go for the heavily spiced vegetables.

Two weeks without exercise will not kill you. If you really want to, this NY Times Scientific workout can be done in a hotel room. It's not fun but it is really intense: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

Have fun. It's only a few weeks. There's more to life than weight.
  • These are great tips. I will use these on my own family trips. Walk everywhere, drink lots of water all the time, watch portion size so I can sample everything. Dance whenever I can.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Believe me.. with the wedding at house and running round.. u will burn almost all the stuff u will be eating coz u r gonna be busy busy busy :) dont worry about it.. enjoy the few days.. your nephews wedding is not going to happen again..
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    A work colleague moved out to Bangalore last year to head up our engineering office there. Every time he's come back (every 4 months or so), he's lost enough weight for it to be noticeable. And he's not really into working out.

He's mentioned that local food is so incredibly filling and delicious that he rarely overeats. Very big on veggies. I think (at least from what he has said) that India may be the last country you need to be worried about maintaining your weight.

And, as always, it's always possible to hop back on once you get back! Have a wonderful time!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    Bring a jump rope.