Women, why must it be so?

Replies

• biorach
    biorach Posts: 60 Member

As a stated in an earlier post, WOMEN wouldn't be treated like WOMEN if they didn't act like WOMEN!
    Good day.

Oh.... I should act like I have a penis. I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

wooden-man-flower-for-you-gynt-.jpg

No, no! I'm saying that women proclaim that they want to be treated equal to a man... If they want to be treated like a man, they should act like a man. I'm just referring to the emotional side of this argument.

But we are not men. We are different. Doesn't mean we aren't "equal". Women do tend to be more emotional. Great if you aren't, but that doesn't make those of us who are "wrong". I used to beat myself up for crying at movies, or crying in front of my boss. It didn't fit this tough girl persona I thought I needed to have. Then I realized it's stupid to try to be something I'm not. Being emotional isn't "bad".

Here, here...I've luckily only had one meltdown at work, but it happens. And I hate hate this argument, "well you need to act like a man if you want equality." Doesnt work with races, and it doesnt work with gender. So unless I "act" like a man, because somehow male behavior is defined as the gold standard despite 1/2 of the population "acting" like women, I cannot expect equality?

UoIprlg.gif
  • Actually the dude is right. I was wrong. Women on average get paid $0.77 per $1. BUT when you do compare the same job, it's $0.91 for $1.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/08/gender_pay_gap_the_familiar_line_that_women_make_77_cents_to_every_man_s.html
    Employers have to take into account that women may become pregnant.

9 months of dr appts and possibly lower productivity
    Maternity leave
    Woman may choose not to come back so employer must train a replacement

These are real expense risks employers take on when employing a woman of childbearing age.

I feel the discrepancy is warranted.
  • biorach

As a stated in an earlier post, WOMEN wouldn't be treated like WOMEN if they didn't act like WOMEN!
    Good day.

Oh.... I should act like I have a penis. I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

No, no! I'm saying that women proclaim that they want to be treated equal to a man... If they want to be treated like a man, they should act like a man. I'm just referring to the emotional side of this argument.

But we are not men. We are different. Doesn't mean we aren't "equal". Women do tend to be more emotional. Great if you aren't, but that doesn't make those of us who are "wrong". I used to beat myself up for crying at movies, or crying in front of my boss. It didn't fit this tough girl persona I thought I needed to have. Then I realized it's stupid to try to be something I'm not. Being emotional isn't "bad".

Oh, for the love of... I'm not saying that being emotional is wrong! I'm simply saying that everyone is different and none of us are equal to one another. We should be given the same opportunities. That is all.

thats what "feminists" are saying

What opportunity are we denied?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

Good day.

Oh, for the love of... I'm not saying that being emotional is wrong! I'm simply saying that everyone is different and none of us are equal to one another. We should be given the same opportunities. That is all.

thats what "feminists" are saying

What opportunity are we denied?

Luckily, we had some pretty strong willed, hard working women who fought very hard to get us footing into major institutions like the military and education. It's our job to continue our Grandmother's legacy and ensure that we dont lose those opportunities and continue to work to educate and enlighten others who may still see women as second class citizens or mere sex objects.

This is speaking of course for the US, and I would assume Canada and Europe. Of course if we looked at other conditions around the world I could paint you a completely different picture.
  • biorach
    How dare you speak of my grandmother that way. Why, she was the sammich-making queen in her day.
  • ldrosophila
    How dare you speak of my grandmother that way. Why, she was the sammich-making queen in her day.

LOL, my Grandmother, was a working mother of 5, makes a to die for mac and cheese. It would literally make you cry she puts bacon in it.
  • The only issue I have is when certain women demand equality and then when you treat them equally (but it is something they disapprove of) the first thing they scream is "but, I'm a woman!"
  • biorach
    The only issue I have is when certain women demand equality and then when you treat them equally (but it is something they disapprove of) the first thing they scream is "but, I'm a woman!"

You, my dear sir, are a genius.
  • 1_JR_1
    1_JR_1 Posts: 179
    The only issue I have is when certain women demand equality and then when you treat them equally (but it is something they disapprove of) the first thing they scream is "but, I'm a woman!"

And thus bringing us full circle to the OPs first pic in this lengthy thread.
  • biorach

LOL, my Grandmother, was a working mother of 5, makes a to die for mac and cheese. It would literally make you cry she puts bacon in it.

Oh, if only I liked bacon. I know, I know, I'm a devil-worshiping heathen. But I love homemade mac!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    I stopped reading after women=money(square)..where is my money? :explode:
  • Part of this makes me laugh... part of this makes me want to hit my head on a table.

The memes are funny, they represent gender frustrations. Men and women don't understand each other well, there are peer reviews studies stating as much (psych student).

Though the idea then men are simple is a stereotype and not necessarily true just like not all women are that complex. It's just misunderstanding between the two genders because we are biologically wired different and socially treated different.

Claiming women are 100% equal today is pretty naive. Obviously we are MUCH further than the guy stepping on the lady rug, but there are still areas where women are assumed to be weak and on the back burner. As a career women I know other career women who have had to deal with it. Thankfully I've been luckier than them. It has nothing to do with them acting like "women" whatever the hell that is.. they are just as strong as any guy, they have to be.

The issue really is deep and complex, radical feminism doesn't have it right but neither do the "nay sayers." Of course even in the world of academia they don't agree on everything.
  • ldrosophila

And thus bringing us full circle to the OPs first pic in this lengthy thread.

HMMMMM maybe the doofy post was right what started as a simple gif thread no words or anything ended in a complicated philosophical discussion on equality. So I stand by my original thought.
  • LOL, my Grandmother, was a working mother of 5, makes a to die for mac and cheese. It would literally make you cry she puts bacon in it.

This sounds amazingly good!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    I don't understand what is so hard about understanding women.

1) Good sex
    2) Good conversation (like, actual fu cking conversation)
    3) Clean up after yo friggen self
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Feminism is not a dirty word. I'm really saddened by some peoples responses in this thread. Everyone should be a feminist, because it means we should be treated equally. It takes into account the stereotypes men are expected to adhere to AS WELL AS female ones. It has nothing to do with dictating how people should behave and everything to do with breaking down stereotypes and expectations.... providing the freedom to act as we wish, rather than how society demands.

I am a feminist. I work longer hours and earn more than my fiance. If I were to fall pregnant, we've already agreed that he would be the stay-at-home-parent because that's what makes sense financially (and I'm rubbish at housework). Thats just our set up though. I have female friends who have stopped working after having a baby or two and let their husband/partner be the breadwinner. This is also totally acceptable, because its what they all want to do. I have friends who have no interest whatsoever in settling down with kids + care more about travelling the world and building careers. ALSO ACCEPTABLE.

Feminism is about the freedom to choose how to live your life, without societal restrictions. How many of you sneered at the balance in my relationship? I'm hoping nobody did.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I need to start using "rubbish" more often.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    I see by the maths that you've miscalculated.

Better luck next time :)
This discussion has been closed.