Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    ^^Nicely said.

Also, Einstein didn't recommend lots of fairy tales for children for nothing. They foster the imagination and wonder of the universe. If he hadn't had any of that, I can't imagine he would have been able to imagine the solutions to physical problems the way he did.
    You can't even begin to understand such abstract concepts as those you find in advanced physics and astronomy without first developing a deep understanding that we really don't know the whole of reality. Believing in imaginary things is necessary to do what Einstein did.

Adding falsehoods to reality does not make reality easier to understand.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Look...When I was little I literally SAW Santa and BELIEVED. That is, I believed until I found the Santa suit in the attic and put two and two together. I made the decision to put on the santa suit (with a pillow tummy to boot) and became SAnta.

These little lies are a fun part of childhood and discerning truth is part of growing up.

Much love to all of you this holiday season.
  • emirror
    ^^Nicely said.

Also, Einstein didn't recommend lots of fairy tales for children for nothing. They foster the imagination and wonder of the universe. If he hadn't had any of that, I can't imagine he would have been able to imagine the solutions to physical problems the way he did.
    You can't even begin to understand such abstract concepts as those you find in advanced physics and astronomy without first developing a deep understanding that we really don't know the whole of reality. Believing in imaginary things is necessary to do what Einstein did.
    So what abstract concept did believing in Santa help you understand that you feel you would never have been able to understand with out the myth of Santa being fed to you as fact when you were a tot?

I love how you completely miss my point so that you can ignore it.

That's OK, though. Maybe this is one of those abstract ideas someone who never fully developed an imagination can't grasp. :flowerforyou:
    No I get it only those who believe can possibly comprehend abstract. Only those who were duped into complete faith in the magical can dream. Those who experience fiction as fiction could never expand their minds to the point of discovery because they never truly believed. I get it, those who can enjoy a fiction with out thinking it is real are at an intellectual disadvantage. Those who can separate the real from the pretend and still enjoy the pretend are some how less imaginative.

See I understand you are superior.:noway:

I'm not sure if this is sarcastic or not... but if it isn't... :noway:
  • emirror
    kids don't lose out if they don't do Santa. There are children from all kinds of non-Christian religions all over the world who don't have Santa but still manage to have happy childhoods and develop an imagination, sense of wonder and an ability to think outside the box....

Santa's simply an example. Obviously, kids who don't celebrate Christmas don't do the Santa thing. But pretty much every culture and religion has something similar.

My issue isn't with not "doing" Santa. It's the complete refusal to allow any real fantasy in a child's life that I have a problem with.

By definition, there is no such thing as "real fantasy".

I have noticed that no one thinks that the people who don't "do Santa" because they only celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birth haven't gotten any grief over not teaching their child that Santa is real. Isn't that odd.
  • ^^Nicely said.

So what abstract concept did believing in Santa help you understand that you feel you would never have been able to understand with out the myth of Santa being fed to you as fact when you were a tot?

I love how you completely miss my point so that you can ignore it.

That's OK, though. Maybe this is one of those abstract ideas someone who never fully developed an imagination can't grasp. :flowerforyou:
    No I get it only those who believe can possibly comprehend abstract. Only those who were duped into complete faith in the magical can dream. Those who experience fiction as fiction could never expand their minds to the point of discovery because they never truly believed. I get it, those who can enjoy a fiction with out thinking it is real are at an intellectual disadvantage. Those who can separate the real from the pretend and still enjoy the pretend are some how less imaginative.

See I understand you are superior.:noway:

I'm not sure if this is sarcastic or not... but if it isn't... :noway:
    It was sarcasm :bigsmile:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    But Santa IS REAL!!! Santa is no myth............Santa dwells inside each and every one of us.

If Santa doesn't, then you truly have no heart, no compassion...........no humanity about yourself.

http://santaisreal.com/

Check out this website and listen to the lessons in the videos. Especially for the date of the 5th.
  • When I explained this to 2 of my 3 kids (#3 still believes), I told them about St Nicholas and how he would take gifts to children. I have explained that "Santa" is a manifestation of that spirit of giving. I have told them that "Santa" or St Nicholas lives in all of us and we keep that spirit alive by passing on the joy and happiness of giving. We know how good it feels to receive,thus when they learn the truth about "Santa" they are learning that people give to see joy in others and that v in turn ways your heart. Maybe your parents didn't instill the feeling of gratitude for the gifts you received. Maybe you never learned how out how it felt to make someone else happy by giving. You may have missed the fact that it is better too give than to receive....why all the bitterness about the "lie"? We're you not thankful for all the gifts you received no matter who brought them. Merry Christmas!
  • Forgive my spelling mistakes! Auto correct!!! Fill in the missing pieces with what makes sense!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    When I explained this to 2 of my 3 kids (#3 still believes), I told them about St Nicholas and how he would take gifts to children. I have explained that "Santa" is a manifestation of that spirit of giving. I have told them that "Santa" or St Nicholas lives in all of us and we keep that spirit alive by passing on the joy and happiness of giving. We know how good it feels to receive,thus when they learn the truth about "Santa" they are learning that people give to see joy in others and that v in turn ways your heart. Maybe your parents didn't instill the feeling of gratitude for the gifts you received. Maybe you never learned how out how it felt to make someone else happy by giving. You may have missed the fact that it is better too give than to receive....why all the bitterness about the "lie"? We're you not thankful for all the gifts you received no matter who brought them. Merry Christmas!

Yes, I tried to convey a similar message right above your comment!!

Santa is real..............he lives inside all of us!
  • Great minds think alike my friend!!! We are all the SPIRIT of Santa!
    When I explained this to 2 of my 3 kids (#3 still believes), I told them about St Nicholas and how he would take gifts to children. I have explained that "Santa" is a manifestation of that spirit of giving. I have told them that "Santa" or St Nicholas lives in all of us and we keep that spirit alive by passing on the joy and happiness of giving. We know how good it feels to receive,thus when they learn the truth about "Santa" they are learning that people give to see joy in others and that v in turn ways your heart. Maybe your parents didn't instill the feeling of gratitude for the gifts you received. Maybe you never learned how out how it felt to make someone else happy by giving. You may have missed the fact that it is better too give than to receive....why all the bitterness about the "lie"? We're you not thankful for all the gifts you received no matter who brought them. Merry Christmas!

This is beautiful and a wonderful way to teach charity and love for your fellow man but I don't believe it the only way to teach it is through Santa.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Great minds think alike my friend!!! We are all the SPIRIT of Santa!

This is beautiful and a wonderful way to teach charity and love for your fellow man but I don't believe it the only way to teach it is through Santa.

I'm curious as to why not..since Santa is based off of St. Nicolas...I still believe in the principles taught to me through the "Santa" experience given to me by my parents..If it helps them to understand how to be selfless, giving, and thoughtful is it not just a tool? Not trying to start a new debate or come off as snarky, I'm just curious as to why utilizing the Santa tool when it helps put it into perspective for a child is bad..

I'm curious as to why not..since Santa is based off of St. Nicolas...I still believe in the principles taught to me through the "Santa" experience given to me by my parents..If it helps them to understand how to be selfless, giving, and thoughtful is it not just a tool? Not trying to start a new debate or come off as snarky, I'm just curious as to why utilizing the Santa tool when it helps put it into perspective for a child is bad..
    I don't see it as bad for those comfortable with the Santa thing. What I was saying is it is not the only way to teach this behavior and my choice not to use it doesn't mean that my children won't learn these lessons.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Great minds think alike my friend!!! We are all the SPIRIT of Santa!

There are a lot of ways to teach the spirit of giving and charity. How about Jesus Christ or Mother Theresa, for starters?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    ^^Nicely said.

Yep. Where would we be today if he wasn't captivated by the mysteries of the universe. Mysteries are mystical by their very nature.
  • Hi. I'm 33 and I still get 1 present from Santa from my parents. For me Santa is magic in Christmas. You know POLAR EXPRESS...BELIEVE :) When lights on the christmas tree have a twinkle that is Santa. The excitement of opening up presents that is Santa. The stocking huge over the chimmney with care...that is Santa. How you weave in religion or not and family traditions is up to you. Santa is whatever you want it to be :)
  • Sorry my internet died...but also giving is Santa. My kids are 12 and 13. I told them at a very young age there is no such thing as a fat man flying around with a bunch of reindeer. Santa is much much more than that! Will it scar your child into adulthood b/c you lied to him...no it won't. But if you tell him there is no such thing as the fat man with reindeer what are you going to tell him?

I have had the pleasure of meeting a man whi play Santa every year and it's a "breakfast with Santa type thing" This man impressed me cause this is what he said.

The red of my suit is the blood Jesus shed for me. The white in my suit is the reassurance of heaven. The black in my suits is sins forgotten.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    ^^Nicely said.

Adding falsehoods to reality does not make reality easier to understand.

You do understand, that it took many years to prove Einstein's theories. And many believed they were falsehoods. Fortunately, those with an imagination kept at it. And eventually proved them to be reality.
  • emirror
    All of the suggestions that scientists need to believe in magic in order to be successful are completely foolish.

Imagination does not depend on believing mythology is real.
  • oh god make it stop!!!