Santa!?!?! I hate the lie!

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    All of the suggestions that scientists need to believe in magic in order to be successful are completely foolish.

Imagination does not depend on believing mythology is real.

Imagination can refer to thinking outside the box, as it were. Or are you saying that scientists don't do that either?
  • so...obviously this thread has been hijacked...? amaright?
  • so...obviously this thread has been hijacked...? amaright?
    Defiantly the belief in Santa is now he reason we have advantsents in science! Sarcasm**
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    I can't believe this thread is still going!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    All of the suggestions that scientists need to believe in magic in order to be successful are completely foolish.

Imagination can refer to thinking outside the box, as it were. Or are you saying that scientists don't do that either?

It was said earlier that not believing in mythologies would not allow a person to develop an imagination.

I'm calling BS on that stupidity.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    oh god make it stop!!!

He's not listening . . .

Cause this thread is still going.

Ergo . . .

You must be going to hell
  • All of the suggestions that scientists need to believe in magic in order to be successful are completely foolish.

It was said earlier that not believing in mythologies would not allow a person to develop an imagination.

I'm calling BS on that stupidity.

too many big words!!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Great minds think alike my friend!!! We are all the SPIRIT of Santa!
    When I explained this to 2 of my 3 kids (#3 still believes), I told them about St Nicholas and how he would take gifts to children. I have explained that "Santa" is a manifestation of that spirit of giving. I have told them that "Santa" or St Nicholas lives in all of us and we keep that spirit alive by passing on the joy and happiness of giving. We know how good it feels to receive,thus when they learn the truth about "Santa" they are learning that people give to see joy in others and that v in turn ways your heart. Maybe your parents didn't instill the feeling of gratitude for the gifts you received. Maybe you never learned how out how it felt to make someone else happy by giving. You may have missed the fact that it is better too give than to receive....why all the bitterness about the "lie"? We're you not thankful for all the gifts you received no matter who brought them. Merry Christmas!

Yes, I tried to convey a similar message right above your comment!!

Santa is real..............he lives inside all of us!
    This is beautiful and a wonderful way to teach charity and love for your fellow man but I don't believe it the only way to teach it is through Santa.

I'm curious as to why not..since Santa is based off of St. Nicolas...I still believe in the principles taught to me through the "Santa" experience given to me by my parents..If it helps them to understand how to be selfless, giving, and thoughtful is it not just a tool? Not trying to start a new debate or come off as snarky, I'm just curious as to why utilizing the Santa tool when it helps put it into perspective for a child is bad..

There are a lot of ways to teach the spirit of giving and charity. How about Jesus Christ or Mother Theresa, for starters?

I didn't say there weren't...just asked why, as a parent, you wouldn't use every tool you had available. I guess it's a parenting issue, vs an actual lying issue...like any tool it can be used improperly, resulting in spoiled, selfish brats..but used properly it contributed to my sense of charity, well being of others, and my imagination. As far as Jesus Christ, my kids sing him Happy Birthday on Christmas day and we have birthday cake instead of pie...This is something my oldest asked for when she was around 5 and we have kept it a tradition. In my house it isn't a birthday without cake..no matter how broke we have ever been you always had cake on your birthday. One year, when she was about 5, my daughter asked why we weren't having cake for Jesus' birthday on Christmas..so now we order a cake from the bakery that says "Happy Birthday Jesus".

As I've said before, it's a personal choice..not one anyone here can make for you, and opinions are like A@@h*les, everybody has one...I just dont think I should be judged for what I choose....
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Santa is real.....from a certain point of view.

250px-ObiWanHS-SWE.jpg
  • bekkiigrogie
    bekkiigrogie Posts: 6 Member
    I'm a little late in this thread, but from my experience I was never effected badly by it. Maybe because I don't actually even remember my parents telling me it was true. They never really gave me a straight answer and as I grew up and I realised that it wasn't true, we still all played along with it because it was fun!
    Even to this day, we all do stockings and they are still from 'santa' and not each other. For me it keeps the magic of christmas alive.

I can understand why people may react badly to it, though it's never made a lot of sense to me to hate someone for keeping a magical story alive. That's my opinion, I'm not saying anyone is a good or bad parent for telling it or not!
  • I've decided to tell my 4 year old about santa. i am going to tell him today that santa is just a made up person. im sick of that man getting all of the credit for me working tons of extra hours and getting credit for the gifts i buy my son. then my son asks me what will i get him after i have already filled up the tree. I will educate him about Christ's b-day and leave it at that from now on.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Santa is real.....from a certain point of view.

250px-ObiWanHS-SWE.jpg

2ugjmna.jpg
  • bekkiigrogie
    bekkiigrogie Posts: 6 Member
    I've decided to tell my 4 year old about santa. i am going to tell him today that santa is just a made up person. im sick of that man getting all of the credit for me working tons of extra hours and getting credit for the gifts i buy my son. then my son asks me what will i get him after i have already filled up the tree. I will educate him about Christ's b-day and leave it at that from now on.

That's a shame about the present thing :( If you do stockings, maybe reserve those for 'santa' and keep the presents under the trees from you? It worked for my family! Though this way works as well, just a suggestion :)
  • Our reasoning was that we wanted our kids to trust Mom and Dad to be the ones that they could count on to always tell the truth about stuff.

We felt that the Santa lie, would prove us to be unreliable tricksters on important topics.
    So, we celebrated Christmas with great joy, presents, Christmas Carol's family times, but Santa was a pretend fun thing that they were in the know about. They felt a bit on in when their other friends didn' t realize that Santa wasn't real. Which they kept secret.

We respected other people's choices in regard to Santa, but for us the truth was more important.

Merry Christmas!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I was watching the old version of miracle on 42nd street yesterday and this let me know why I shouldn't interfere with my kids belief and then working out the 'truth' about father Christmas. I know each to their own but for me I don't want to destroy beauty because it is made up. Most of the stuff most people believe is made up to some extent anyway (re: social construction) so I'm not planning on destroying some magic. There will be plenty of time for my daughter to work out the cold truth of reality, why the rich Shepard the poor and why the poor are mainly gullible enough to believe the lies told to them. Why they get us to go around the world murdering people in their own countries so they can be better off while telling us we are the good guys. Why we are destroying the earth because of corporate greed instead of living sustainably while most people are living in the sold fantasy that it has got to be that way.... I'm very happy she believes in Santa still :-)
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    The holiday season should be about the spirit of giving. Who cares if your child does or doesn't believe in Santa.

My 4 year old donates 1 gift for every gift she receives. Whether through her daycare collecting gifts, the church giving tree, the local firehouse or toys for tots.

We have taught her that there are children who's parents cannot afford to buy them presents or live in a middle class home and giving is a way to make their lives a little brighter.

The spirit of giving is how we explain good old Saint Nick and I for one see nothing wrong with her believing. Another recent poster used Xmas as a birthday celebration, AWESOME IDEA and what a special time for your children.

If your friend believes a "lie" about Christmas is the cornerstone for distrusting his/her parents, then I would suggest they have deeper issues than Christmas.

Children grow up so quick as it is, and all the pressures society puts on them, my god let them enjoy their adolescence and keep the spirit of giving alive!!
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    I was watching the old version of miracle on 42nd street yesterday and this let me know why I shouldn't interfere with my kids belief and then working out the 'truth' about father Christmas. I know each to their own but for me I don't want to destroy beauty because it is made up. Most of the stuff most people believe is made up to some extent anyway (re: social construction) so I'm not planning on destroying some magic. There will be plenty of time for my daughter to work out the cold truth of reality, why the rich Shepard the poor and why the poor are mainly gullible enough to believe the lies told to them. Why they get us to go around the world murdering people in their own countries so they can be better off while telling us we are the good guys. Why we are destroying the earth because of corporate greed instead of living sustainably while most people are living in the sold fantasy that it has got to be that way.... I'm very happy she believes in Santa still :-)

Well said!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I was raised in a Catholic home. When I went up to my parents and asked them about it, they gave me a non-pushy religious answer, and I think I am a better person for the way they told me the truth. And I remember that talk, almost word for word, because it was the first true "grown up" way of talking to me and so it stuck with me. They basically described the background behind St. Nicolas and where Santa Claus came from and left it up to me to believe or not...which grown up now and looking back I apprechiate very much to have been allowed to develop my own way of thinking on the subject.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    why is this thread still going??? :noway: who the heck cares that much anyway? If you want to do Santa with your kids, do Santa. They'll love it and if the worst thing that someone experiences in childhood is finding out Santa's not real, then they had a damn good childhood. And if you don't want to do Santa with your kids because you're not comfortable telling them lies, then don't. There are millions of non-Christian children around the world who never had Santa and they're perfectly happy, imaginative and capable of thinking outside the box.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    I've decided to tell my 4 year old about santa. i am going to tell him today that santa is just a made up person. im sick of that man getting all of the credit for me working tons of extra hours and getting credit for the gifts i buy my son. then my son asks me what will i get him after i have already filled up the tree. I will educate him about Christ's b-day and leave it at that from now on.

once he gets older and finds out santa isn't real then you'll get credit for all those gifts, so why spoil his fun now? How will he feel once he starts going to school and everyone talks about santa and what he got them? he'll be left out of the convo and forced to keep quiet, cause lets face it, the other parents aren't gonna appreciate him telling their kids santa is all BS. And he loses the chance to believe in something magical and bigger then himself and everything around him without having to learn years of biblical stories that he wont understand and wont care about (sorry, but it's true. 4 years olds don't care about Jesus' birthday). All this is about you wanting credit for your gift giving. :( seems pretty unfair to me.