Calories from cooking with olive oil?

13»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Yes, count the oil, it has calories too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    053069 wrote: »
    yes, you count that too. these are good fats. olive oil is not good for frying.

I don't agree that olive oil isn't good for frying, I use it all the time.
  • opusx28
    opusx28 Posts: 1 Member
    Super old thread but whatever. Try to air fry everything you use oil with. In terms of calories its like using olive oil spray but with results similiar to deep frying. Can use with steak, fish, pancakes, eggs, etc. I lost 85 pounds this year air frying whatever I ate and also keeping calorie total to 1300 per day.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    sm1zzle wrote: »
    You must.

Or do what I do and use olive oil cooking spray.

Which still has calories....
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    sirrdk wrote: »
    I use 1tbs of olive oil when I make pancakes.
    So for every pancake, I have to use 1, as the oil disappears when I make pancake number 2, and so on.
    (If I don't add some oil/fat for every pancake, then they'll burn)

For every pancake meal, I'll end up making 5 pancakes, meaning that 5 tbs had been used.

So, when I'm putting this info in my MFP diary, should I add "5 tbs olive oil?
    Because that's about 600 calories, which is insane!!!
    Some of the oil gets in the food and some don't, I hope.

So how many percent of that added oil gets wasted and how much gets in my food?
    Please advise :)

Buy some nice ceramic none stick pans. I don't put any oil/butter/etc in my pan when I'm cooking to save calories and my stuff still comes out great.

Do you have the option to buy a larger fry pan? in my past life when i ate pancakes, I cooked up four at a time in a 14" skillet, with les than a tablespoon of coconut oil.

I also would test that the oil is hot enough before adding the batter, to reduce the amount of oil that gets soaked up by the batter. (drop a tiny bit of batter in to see what happens. if it just sits there without starting to cook it isn't hot enough yet)
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Of course I do - they are most likely eaten and also balance in the underreporting that happens (at least with me)
    Not counting the ingredients with he highest calories would be kinda counterproductive to counting calories
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    I measure out and log all oils that go in to my food. As I use cold pressed olive oil, it certainly adds up calorie wise.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited November 2018
    What matters is what comes out of the saute pan not what is put in. If you sauteed in 4 ounces of oil, you wouldn't count that if it was left in the pan. However, since I typically deglaze the pan with other ingredients, I usually end up counting all of it.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I don't and it's hasn't affected my weight loss.
  • sarahpedrys
    sarahpedrys Posts: 16 Member
    I don't use oil. Just the calorie free butter non-stick spray from Wal-Mart.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    agreed with others above that it's so sad that olive oil is so caloric! Unfortunately i hardly use it anymore.

i also was of the dip the bread in the oil type of person and the lather the oil on the salad and on every single thing that I cook.

Now, I use spray for mostly and on occasion, like when it's xmas or something, I will dip the bread in the oil and pretty much almost orgasm with pleasure.

(yes it's "good fat" yadda yadda, but 120 calories a pop of "good fat" i'd rather spend the 120 calories on a bunch of carbs that will give me volume and help trick me into not feeling hungry.)
  • sympaticogirl
    sympaticogirl Posts: 1 Member
    I've never counted the olive oil cals I cook with. And I stirfry regularly. It hasn't affected my weekly weight loss goals.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited May 2019
    OY! Old thread...

I measure the amount of EVOO I put into the pan and then divide by the number of servings I eat. That's an assumption on my part that all food cooked is equally coated by the oil, but so far I've been losing weight.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I use the spray oil when I do use it that way use less