the TRUTH about weightloss

12346»

Replies

• mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    A kitchen full of spices will make the whole weight loss journey go from this: :( to this :)

unsalted boiled brown rice: :(
    unsalted boiled brown rice WITH dryed parsley and pepper: :)

So far, that's the only truth I know.
  • I have definitely passed out from hunger. Even if you are not a diabetic your glucose level can get too low. This also lowers your blood pressure due to the fact that your body does not have enough fuel so it is going to work slower. That combo will make you pass out. It is not ok to ignore your body when it is telling you that you need to eat something with physical signs.

Also food addiction is real and metabolism is genetic. I lost 115 lbs and gained almost all of it back because I did not address the emotional issues I have with food. Counting calories works but if you do not deal with your mental well being then it will not last. The struggle is real and weight loss is super hard. Dieting is comparable to asking a alcoholic to have one drink everyday and to never overdue it. Be proud of yourself everyday.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member

Seems like there's something missing between Step 2 and 3. "I am getting hungry" to "dizzy and weak." Maybe I'm getting hungry is the same as I am hungry. If that's the case, that's where I need to be to lose weight. It's been the case for the entire 32 pounds I've lost. Again, it's what my belly tells me. And, that's where I need to allow myself to be. Some days, I don't feel that way. On those days, I eat more and don't have a calorie deficit. And, I don't lose weight. I lost 6 pounds in less than a week when I had the flu last year. I wasn't hungry then because I was sick. After I got better, I kept off the weight, went back to what I was doing before, and I'm back to "when I feel hungry, I'm losing weight." If I get dizzy and weak, yeah, I'll eat something.

What's missing between Step 2 & 3? MEALTIME

Personally, I've found that I simply had to reset my brain, so to speak. I spent 9 months losing over 70 pounds, then I spent 5 months maintaining while logging, Now I have spent the past 4 months maintaining without logging. I am now able to listen to my body and respond to appropriate queues. :bigsmile:

I know that I eat enough. I count the calories. And, I'm oftentimes hungry if I'm eating at a calorie deficit. Like I said, we're different.
  • DavidSTC
    I have definitely passed out from hunger. Even if you are not a diabetic your glucose level can get too low. This also lowers your blood pressure due to the fact that your body does not have enough fuel so it is going to work slower. That combo will make you pass out. It is not ok to ignore your body when it is telling you that you need to eat something with physical signs.

Also food addiction is real and metabolism is genetic. I lost 115 lbs and gained almost all of it back because I did not address the emotional issues I have with food. Counting calories works but if you do not deal with your mental well being then it will not last. The struggle is real and weight loss is super hard. Dieting is comparable to asking a alcoholic to have one drink everyday and to never overdue it. Be proud of yourself everyday.

Along these lines, I read an article by a psychiatrist who works with alcoholics and tries to pin down the underlying issues of why people drink. To do that, he asks his patients to note what was going on in their lives that triggered their need to drink. Unless you know the triggers, you won't be able to deal with your problem and avoid the issue of over-drinking in the future. I would think over-eating is the same.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    To be clear, I can't remember ever feeling dizzy from not eating. If I'm really hungry, I eat a snack. You don't want to be too hungry.

I think we're discussing semantics in this thread concerning hunger.

I am not sure what "too hungry" means.

But if you learn to live with just plain hunger, then I think you get the picture and will have positive results.

What is that even supposed to mean? Are you in Ethiopia?

"Are you in Ethiopia?" killed me. Very well played.

But in all seriousness, I think this person may have a genuine problem. You should never be "okay" with feeling malnourished. You're just going to gain every pound back that you lost by starving yourself once you begin to eat "normally" (whatever that means for you) again.

But hey, to each their own!
  • DavidSTC
    To be clear, I can't remember ever feeling dizzy from not eating. If I'm really hungry, I eat a snack. You don't want to be too hungry.

But if you learn to live with just plain hunger, then I think you get the picture and will have positive results.

But in all seriousness, I think this person may have a genuine problem. You should never be "okay" with feeling malnourished. You're just going to gain every pound back that you lost by starving yourself once you begin to eat "normally" (whatever that means for you) again.

To defend the poster who said that, I don't think necessarily that "hungry" = "malnourished." There is a period of adjustment where your body tells you that it's hungry even if it doesn't need food. That feeling, I think, comes from having gone most of your life overeating, and then trying to re-train your body to eat less. Counting calories will tell you whether you're eating enough or too much. And, even if you AREN'T eating too little, you can STILL feel hungry.

Which means, that person may not have a genuine problem. That person may be wrestling with a common issue.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Try drinking water when you get to the dizzy and hungry stage.

That should help.

But keep in mind that in a real sense you are addicted to food. And NO ONE has ever passed out from hunger. Maybe from dehydration, but not having an empty stomach.

And you body DOES NOT need the calories. And you glucose is fine.

At least try to gut it out for as long as you can before succumbing. And don't eat a lot when you do.

You have to re-wire your brain in a real sense, and it can be done. It MUST be done if you are to lose weight AND KEEP IT OFF!!

Of course, check with a doctor if you have any health issues or suspect that you do.

Speaking of contacting health professionals.....

Have you seen one about your E.D. because you sound like you have a poor relationship with food. My first experience of someone passing out from hunger was in 7th grade. A girl in my class passed out, turns out she was anorexic.

See my post above about how well I've been maintaining by doing the opposite of this. :flowerforyou:

Agree. The post in this thread, as well as other things he has posted, are definitely in E.D. territory.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member

To defend the poster who said that, I don't think necessarily that "hungry" = "malnourished." There is a period of adjustment where your body tells you that it's hungry even if it doesn't need food. That feeling, I think, comes from having gone most of your life overeating, and then trying to re-train your body to eat less. Counting calories will tell you whether you're eating enough or too much. And, even if you AREN'T eating too little, you can STILL feel hungry.

Which means, that person may not have a genuine problem. That person may be wrestling with a common issue.

Based on what I've seen of that person's posts, their comments and attitude toward food are extremely unhealthy. If you are feeling dizzy or lightheaded because you haven't eaten, that is your body telling you that it needs nourishment. Nourishment doesn't mean a 6-course meal. Eat a granola bar or an apple; it doesn't have to be anything calorically dense.

Speaking as someone who's taken certified training courses on addictive personalities and various disorders, the poster's comments are indeed worrisome and indicative of an eating disorder.

Edited to fix comma splice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell.htm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that fat doesn't miraculously convert into essential nutrients.