Don't forget to get your flu shot!

167891012»

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Always get it. Never get the flu.

Never think much about the shot, because it's no big deal at all and cheap. It's nice to be vaccinated against some of the strains, I figure. The flu sucks.

I always get viruses in the fall and winter. If the flu were strong in my town, I'm pretty sure I'd pick it up, yeah. So, the shot. Simple :)

Or not, I suppose, depending on how you do risk analysis and where your info comes from, etc. I can't say I get the big controversy over it. All kinds of medical decisions involve risk, my goodness. OTOH, if you would rather handle the flu, that's probably fine if you're healthy. It really probably won't kill you or anything, so whatever :D
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Will never get a flu shot.

I am in the best health of my life times a million being off pharmaceuticals & paying attention to what's actually in the food I eat. And of course practicing good hygiene. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    I forgot to say that I had a friend whose very healthy 20-something brother did die suddenly from the flu a few years ago :( I don't know if people are aware that it really can be fatal, and the young and healthy are disproportionately affected, depending on strain.

I do believe that some people get flu-like symptoms, btw. But do think about what the actual flu would be like, herd immunity, healthy young folks dying from it out of the blue, and all of that. It's not something to just shrug off, imho. It's not as big a controversy as people make out, but I do hate to see so many people against the shots. For most people, they are not a big deal, folks! Certainly try it one year, at least.
  • Guess I'm part of those that don't care about other people. Natural selection I suppose.

No flu shot for me.

Yeah those stupid preemies and elderly totally deserve to die.
  • I get mine every year. Not because I'm personally worried about being sick, but because there are people who are immuno-surpressed who are unable to fight off diseases like the flu. For these people, coming into contact with a sick person can be fatal.

I have a 1 year old niece and 3 year old nephew who fall into this category. The other elderly people living in my mother-in-law's retirement home also do. There are thousands of people whose lives are put at risk when you chose not to get vaccinated, and I consider it an act of selfishness. There are very few legitimate reasons not to be vaccinated; the vast majority of people who declare they're unsafe or unnecessary are making assertions founded on a very poor understanding of the science.

Thank you, my rage was growing while reading the horrible comments, and yours made me calm down.
  • Well it's quite mild which is really odd here in the UK. Not cold really. I've never gotten the flu and I've never had a flu shot. They're for people who are older not 21 year olds. My mum had one not long ago, she's ill now. Don't think they work that well.

It takes about 14 days for the vaccine to be in full effect. Most likely she was already infected when she was vaccinated, meaning she should have gotten it earlier.
  • I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

Except it's not about you. It's about the people around you that *you* might infect that are immune deficit and the flu might kill.

So while you are within your right not to take it, you should know why you should and potential risks.
  • I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

To the person inferring people like me are hypocrites from not getting the flu shot while getting MMR shots, last I knew, the flu shot wasn't legally mandatory in order to attend U.S./Canadian schools.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

The flu shot is not just about you - it's about everyone else.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?

This video is a good explanation on how herd immunity works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRclbfK5q08
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    6e2e1857fb86d6e95cfacf7dd4265cbc472ed5205b1076ad628e4151c7b7f460.jpg
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

The problem with this is that you're contagious for a day or two before you have any symptoms.

So if you do get the flu, you could pass it on to dozens of people before you are even aware you're spreading it.

And once you are showing symptoms, chances are you won't spend the next week in total isolation, so you'll keep on spreading it to people.

Legit question. So if all the people who don't get the flu shot catch it, will they only spread it to others who didn't get the flu shot. So they will just be infecting each other while us vacinnated peeps sit in our ivory (or is that irony) towers and laugh?

Or are there certain segments of the population who just can't receive the vaccinne regardless of whether they would like to or not?

Until the virus mutates to the point were nothing will be able to stop it....Natural immunity is key:)

Shouldnt mess with nature.....She will come back 10 fold one day!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I don't get the flu shot and won't ever. I'm not worried about catching it from other people. If I get it, I get it.

Until the virus mutates to the point were nothing will be able to stop it....Natural immunity is key:)

Shouldnt mess with nature.....She will come back 10 fold one day!

Natural immunity was great with polio and measles.
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Natural immunity was great with polio and measles.

Hahahahaha, this is great and so true. I didn't get my flu shot. Now I've got the flu. I'll be getting my flu shot next year, if it reduces my chances of feeling like this next year, I'll take my chances.
  • but at least you won't get that AND swine flu or whatever it is this year.

That's just it though. They make the vaccine with what they THINK it might be this year. What happens if they got it all wrong and it's a completely different strain of flu?

I have never gotten a flu shot nor will I start. It's my personal preference not to do it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I don't get the flu shot and I don't feel guilty about it either.