How you started/what motivated you to start losing weight

1235»

Replies

• 00NL
    00NL Posts: 171 Member
    top secret --- a guy :heart:
  • I was overweight when I got pregnant with my TWINS at 172#. That was 15 years ago and I've FINALLY returned to that weight... At peak I was 245# during pregnancy. I remember what it was like to be thinner and 145 is my fav weight. That's my goal now. I've done a Paleo training retreat and I'm very motivated. I want a healthy old age! My carbs were too high so now thanks to MFP I've dialed them way back! Good luck to everyone and happy holidays!
  • NinjaMaid
    NinjaMaid Posts: 48 Member
    I started doing Just Dance on Wii and lost 100lbs
    Joined Zumba classes and lost 30 more.
    What motivated me was I felt awful, I was lonely, and invisible.
  • I started unhealthy approach myself so your not alone lol started Akins and everyone know that is one of the worst ways to eat then gained back some and then starting binge eating then starved myself during all this i lost 70 pounds and now for the past 2 month i been eating healthy and exercising and i can say i feel better then i have in years :)
  • missie_515513
    missie_515513 Posts: 20 Member
    I have yo'yo'd all of my life - I was overweight growing up which gave me self esteem issues. I lost weight in my late teens early 20's however I do gain weight really easily. After my 2nd child I was about 224 and got down to about 150-154. Then over the last few years the weight has crept back. I am now about 179 and feel really uncomfortable - my fitness has gone down hill and as I get older I feel its time to take control. My relation ship with my partner ended in October and for the first time in a while I have more time to focus on me!!! I have been going gym 5 times per week and I plan to stay on track - eating mainly clean foods!!! New year new me and no more yo'yoing as its a waste of time!!!
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Being in a constant state of depression for several years. Life's too short to waste it like that. 95% of my depression was due to my weight, and how difficult it was to go on a hike with family, or kayaking or anything since I had no stamina. I finally got fed up with it and I've lost a ton of weight this year. I only have 15 more pounds to go, and at this point nothing's going to stop me. I won't be done when the scale says what I want it to though, I want to tone up and build up my endurance. Next summer I'm going to be super active and have fun doing it since I'll have the energy! :)
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    I started losing weight because I was injuring my knees a lot due to being overweight. Each time I injured my knee, I would have a Gout attack which would put me out off work for 2 weeks. The last Gout attack sent me to the E.R. My other reason is I want to live long enough to see my children grow up.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    It's been a long time coming (put in some half assed efforts last summer) but the real kicker was finding this article amazing article a couple of weeks ago:

Why Obesity Is Not Your Doctor's Problem http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2013/march/1361848247/karen-hitchcock/fat-city

The funny thing is that I never saw myself as fat. But I am. Somehow, gradually, over many years, pound by pound, I have become "one of those people." It's a weird thing to realize. For me, that is a completely unacceptable way to live. So here I am.

Thank you for the link. That article is the most thoughtful and serious look at obesity that I have ever read. My husband and I are starting the journey towards better health and a healthier life together. His nutritionist recommended the MFP app and it is a great tool. My kickstart was twofold: 1) the knowledge that if I do well, my husband will be encouraged to do well, and 2) to take great care of the future me. Future me deserves to look great, feel great, be great (sounds like a slogan for some cereal:), and it's my job to insure that she does.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    My sister. She was having a lot of body issues and mom found a weight watchers meeting to take her to, she asked me to come along with for support. So I did, and I weighted myself... Once I saw 242 pounds, I cried and finally realized that I had my own body issues and I was tired of them.

I'm the only one of the two of us that has lost the weight and kept it off, I'm now running often, able to run around with my students and fit into a size four - a far cry from being a size 22-24.
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    The one constant throughout my entire adult life has been being either overweight, fat or obese.

I used to daydream about being a normal weight, instead I sought solace in alcohol and food, consuming both to excess.

At the start of every year I would make it my resolution to lose weight and get fit, I'd even been to the gym for 6 months in 2011 but my weight hadn't changed much.

January 2nd 2012, I was tired of being not being happy and I decided to actually try and do it.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I was so fat that I couldn't clean my house without becoming completely short of breath and ready to pass out.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    My wedding dress! Tried it on and it was an inch away from zipping all the way up. It could be my boobs also.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I was an overweight kid. I was also unhappy and mean through my tween years. I didn't feel like I had control over my life (which is pretty normal when you are a teen, BUT I really didn't have control over my weight).

I decided to stop drinking soda and eating sweets. I lost 15lbs when I was about 14-15 years old. A neighbor actually complimented my weight loss. I realized that I DID have control. I started exercising, cut out some more crap, lost another 15 lbs. Then lost some more weight. As my weight went down, my self-control and happiness consequently went up.

I just didn't want to be an out-of-control, unhappy adult, and my weight was a big part of feeling like that as a kid.
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Tired of getting up in the morning and having my first thought be "I am Fat"
  • s1hern
    s1hern Posts: 10 Member
    Severed acid reflux and heartburn got me started on losing weight. My health, my horse, my family, friends, and hoping to live a better motivated me to start loosing weight.
  • I love Nerd Fitness!!!
    i read this. and i watched the video at the bottom.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/
  • My motivator this time was heartache and pain. It's the only real thing that hurts enough to motivate me to make changes in my life. The fact that I finally fell for a woman after a year plus of not really caring too much about dating or my body and realizing how terrible I looked in any pictures I wanted to send her was a wake up call. Then I was told that she just wanted to be friends after about two weeks of courtship. Stuff like this doesn't have to hurt this much dang it!
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Mine was a video on YouTube.

But let's back up first. I was chubby in school, got picked on (didn't we all?). In 1997 I got pregnant with my daughter. After delivery in 1998, I was given Depo as birth control (loved it, for a while.....) Fought with weight loss, but depo increases hunger and decreases metabolism so I had to get off of that. Quit that in 2007.

I've been a smoker pretty much since I was 13. Quit when I was pregnant, but started again soon after. The family went to North Carolina in 2006 and we went to Chimney Rock. We hiked DOWN a trail, and I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath. I resolved to quit smoking b/c of that, and did in Feb 2007 (busy year!)

After those two major life changes, I kind of half-assedly dieted and worked out, but nothing really was working for me (of course, I wasn't really trying).

I am a Disneyphile - I love all things Disney. There is a website out there where there are Forums for us crazy people, and a section is called WISH - We're Inspired to Stay Healthy. There, back in 2011, someone posted a link to her video from the 2010 (or 2011) Princess Half Marathon. By the time the video was over, I was in tears. I just KNEW I had to do that. I sat on the idea for a while (I've been known to start things I never finish) before I said that YES, I'm going to do this.

In Feb 2012, I bought a treadmill. In March 2012, I did our local March of Dimes and told myself that if I could do the 8.6 mile route in less than 3 hours, I would actually sign up for the Princess. I did the MoD in 3 hours. I signed up for a 5k in April, another in July, then a few in the fall, and then, in 2013 (just 10 months ago), I crossed the finish line at the Disney Princess Half Marathon. It took 4 1/2 hours, but I did it!

I lost about 10 pounds last year (and I've eaten some of those back during this holiday season), but I like where I'm headed, and if I can get my diet under control, I can only get better!
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    This time (because there have been a few!) it's looking back at the Christmas photo's and realising I'm the biggest of all the females in our family - including Aunts, Cousins and extended family. Not a good feeling.
    Shopping with some of said family and seeing them try on beautiful clothes while I look at the clothes which will hide as much of me as possible.