BASIC MATH?

2»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    natchos-robert-pattinson-math-exam-lol-Favim.com-545067.gif
  • b1ah8lahbla17
    b1ah8lahbla17 Posts: 1 Member
    I know you've heard this before, but the best way to increase your metabolisem is to exercise. It's easier than you think, good luck.

By the way, What is "TDEE"?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I know you've heard this before, but the best way to increase your metabolisem is to exercise. It's easier than you think, good luck.

By the way, What is "TDEE"?

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Water;
    0.5 US gallons = 4.17lbs = 115.5 cubic inches
    Bet you've been getting lots of salt lately.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Thank you Cindy for the compliment! It was taken last month when I hit the -40 mark and one-derland... was a happy day for me. Then I fell off the wagon face first and landed in a pile of pumpkin pie! hahaha

As for kicking my own *kitten* in the gym, it'll have to be at home for now. No $ for memberships. I do have an HRM so I'll just have to find stuff to do at home and get off my backside.

As for obsessing... yea, I guess I tend to do that. I've been trying to nail down the whole TDEE -20% for like a YEAR! Every time I think I have an ballpark of where that sweet spot it is, I start creeping up.

I know it's hard to believe, but I've logged here for like 430 days!!! Obviously that shows I've been around long enough to learn a few things, but it also shows how epic this fail is on a grander scale. I should have met my -100 goals by now, and here I am slipping backwards.

Oh well, I guess my NY resolution will be to stop whining and start walking, lol :ohwell:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    It's not just water, but could easily also be 'food weight' I believe.
    After eating quite a bit, when I stopped on 1st December I dropped something like 7lb in the first week and 7lb in the second week. I can maintain on around 3000 calories while do weights and such like, I certainly wouldn't expect I had THAT much of a deficit - I suspect a good bit would be 'water weight', along with less food sloshing about and so on.

Calories in vs calories out ALWAYS applies.
    HOWEVER, I wouldn't try and work out your maintenance calories from a period with excess calories - best bet is to work it out from a period when you are trying to 'maintain'.

As a female of your age, your calorie intake is certainly lower than a 20 year old bloke of the same weight - especially if a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

You can get your BMR tested if you want to find it out a bit more scientifically - but it's not cheap (at a guess, around $100 or a bit less; I'm in the UK so not sure what people charge over there.)
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Geeb, you have a point. I need to tighten up the logging (I'm so sick of logging) and diet. Start shaving off the calories a little each week and see how long before the deficit manifest in loss.

One thing that I experienced in October when I was attempting a low carb approach, was a major watershed. It seems too many carbs for me equals water bloat x10! So I'm going to assume my holiday indulging has reaped me a couple of gallon's worth!

The nerd in me cannot help but want to see the in/out numbers reflect the reality. I don't think I'll get that satisfaction.

Thanks for the input.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Gypsy, I feel for you. I SO want the math to work out for me, too. I used to have a BodyMedia and I was precise in logging everything. The math showing calorie deficits should have worked out to X pounds per week. It NEVER did. If I was supposed to lose 1.5 lbs that week based on calorie deficit, it was only a third of a pound. Etc. Also, consider when I had a sinus infection and was on antibiotics for a week. I hardly ate anything but sugar-free jello and some soup. I stepped on the scale at the end of the week, assuming I'd dropped AT LEAST a few pounds. Instead, I was UP 5 pounds!!! How can you be sick all week, not eat much, and gain 5 pounds? Defies math/logic. I don't know what to tell you, but I agree with the poster who said to start doing what you did when you lost 40 lbs and add some walking in. Do it for a week or two and see what happens. I think being consistent is really important for weight loss (though some calorie cyclers might disagree). Whenever I was pretty consistently eating 1200-1400 calories a day, and exercising moderately, I managed to lose weight consistently too. Once I started having a few higher calorie days in there, it all stopped -- even if the math showed me I still had a net deficit for the week.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I log my info daily in a spreadsheet. (weight, body fat, muscle mass, bmi, exercise etc) .. and well I never have managed to be even close to make the numbers make sense. I just do my program, eating sensibly within my calorie / macro limits as best I can and getting some exercise. Seems to work just fine.

I don't believe in the whole .. 3500 cal thing = lb. Never seems to work out that way. I am ok with it, I just hope to see the trends going the right directions. I think that is the most important thing .. and keeps me motivated.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    I'd have a look at body weight work outs for weights-style training.
    For me, weights training significantly increases my metabolism - I'd say a good chunk more than the effort I put in when compared to other ways to burn the same amount of calories.
    You can get an actual weights setup for not much - I'd guess from about $50 if you get a good deal for a bench, bar and some weights.
    The good thing with doing it at home, also, is that you can do it around other stuff - so can be cooking the food, do a set, carry on cutting potatoes or whatever, another set and so on.

These days I try and cycle most places. I'm actually pretty close to the centre of town, but even the little rides help. When I was working a couple of miles away from my home base (working in another part of the country), while it wasn't much effort, it seemed to make a decent difference cycling.
    Walking of course requires pretty much no kit and running not much - a local running club should be able to accommodate you whatever level you are at.