2014 Goals - First Quarter and beyond

124»

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I didn't join this group until Feb, but I did set some goals January 1.

* Train for and compete in a 10K.
    (I'm on week 8 of my 10K training and have registered for a race 5/10.)

* Run a 5K in under 27 mins.
    (I signed up for one on 4/19.)

* Keep my weight under 133.
    I have mostly, though I've briefly bounced above it a few times. I've lost about 6 lbs since January 1 and would like to lose 4-7 more lbs. I've prioritized 10K training and lifting and preserving LBM though so I haven't made much weight loss progress the past month or so rather than going Dukan Diet for fast results.

* Start strength training.
    I've experimented with a few things over the past few months. I thought I would hate free weights so I've mostly done body weight workouts. Then a month ago, I got brave enough to ask DH for some personal training in the free weights side of the gym. I've actually ended up liking it a lot more than I expected, even if I do feel ridiculously scrawny looking around at everyone else and watching myself in the mirror as I'm struggling with my little dumbbells. ;) (Next time I plan to attempt to bench-press the bar. :P ). I'm aiming to do it 3x/wk. Some weeks it's only been twice but definite progress. I want to look into Starting Strength.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    1st Quarter

--1 full pullup from full hang (I am SOOOO close!)
    --1RM - 115lb bench
    --Not die when doing boxing drills for 10 minutes

2014 goals

--5 full pullups
    --1RM - 150lb bench?
    --Not die when doing boxing drills for 30 minutes

end of 1st quarter
    -- can do 7 pullups already! yearly goal updated to 25 pullups (goal for end of March is now 10).
    --1RM - 100lb... not quite there yet.
    --Can do boxing drills for almost 15 minutes and mostly still breathe (and usually not puke).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    So far.....

First quarter goals:

1) Get back down to sub 150lb - this will mean getting back to tracking properly as I got lax over the holidays. did this for my meet - then back up again - so am now looking to maintain a more consistent weight
    2) Compete in a USAPL meet (possibly one in February) done
    3) Do assistance work (especially the pulling and glute and single leg work) and stick to the program starting to get this done
    4) Be more consistent at hitting depth in my squats basically have been hitting depth on every rep in the month or so
    4) Specific lifting goals:
    - Squat: 255lb x 5 (all to good depth) still working on this but may not happen due to my programming
    - Bench: 140lb x 5 up to 140lb x 4 - will try to get a 5th one out
    - Deadlift: 285lb x 5 stoked about this as I did 295lb x 5 with possibly one or two in the tank

I am also stealing the 'sleep' one from @davert - I have sh[url]itty sleep patterns that impact my results. still working on this one - will probably be an ongoing thing for a while

Updated goal: 305lb x 3 deadlift still working on[/url]
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    1,000 lbs total (squat + bench+deadlift)

Touch my toes

Just got the 1,000 lbs goal this morning: 315/245/440 Now to do that all in one day at a meet.

Lifts20140321halfton.png

Still can't touch my toes, but I'm getting closer.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Overall goals:
    Get a better handle on logging and manipulating my macros. Buy a food scale (I know, I know, should have done it years ago)
    STRENGTH GAINS
    Compete in my first powerlifting competition - see if it's something I want to continue
    Slim down some body fat % so I can hopefully see more of my hard work in the mirror
    Acheive the above goals and not have them take over the rest of my life.

Jan-March/April
    (I say March because it's when I possibly have a power lifting competition and that's something I'm working towards. Also my birthday is in march and I always use that as my own personal re-evaluation time.)
    -Do my first power lifting meet.
    -Be benching at least 100 by the competition (benching 90x4PR right now)
    -Increase squat and deadlift weight before competition (squat is 165 - would LOVE to get to 185 but not sure how realistic that is. Deadlift is 135, which is a goal I just hit and have been working towards for a while, so I'm not sure how much I can add on to that in the next couple months but I'm going to work on upping it as well)
    - Lose some body fat if possible. This is a secondary goal to increasing my strength for the competition. I had let my eating go under the name of "bulking" in the fall and I'm tired of looking at the extra chub. I'm just working on cleaning up my eating and eating enough protein at a small deficit.
    -Exercise more than 2-3times a week, and encorporate more cardio. I love lifting and will always choose that over cardio, but I need to amp that up more if I'm going to lose any bf%. Again this is still secondary to my strength gains though.

I have set aside the power lifting goals for now - still looking to eventually compete but I'm focusing on my cut and pinning down my diet right now.
    As far as losing body fat goes I've gone from 132 to 124. Pretty pleased with that but still cutting. I'm thinking I want to get between 115 and 118 and maintain over the summer before doing a controlled bulk in the fall.
    I have been doing well exercising more and doing more cardio.
    I actually did hit a 1rm of 100lbs for bench, but nothing more than that was happening, haha. I currently have a shoulder issue that is affecting a lot of my lifts >_> but I had gotten my deadlift up to 155 before that started.

Summer goal: to see my hammies!!! haha. Also maintain strength and continue cut at least til 118 or thru May / June.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Update on 1st quarter goals:

1. Lose 8 pounds by being consistent with my deficit
    ~ I lost 8 pounds (yay!) and was consistent with my deficit 9/13 weeks.

2. Add one Yin Yoga session per week at home, or attend a class
    ~ Major fail on this one, I did a home practice once. My goal was really to add more stretching, so I need to reevaluate how to best do that.

3. Continue lifting, following the All Pro program, and not whine when it's hard
    ~ I was able to do All Pro (and did not whine) until mid February, when I started experiencing shoulder pain. I tried different approaches to make a modified version work, but in the end all the exercises hurt my shoulder. As of this week I decided to take a break and will make a doctor appointment. Am doing some lower bodyweight stuff and lots of mobility work until I can get back to All Pro.

4. Hike once a week
    ~ I hiked most weeks (rain, travel, illness interfered some), so I'm calling this a goal met.

5. Meditate at least 5 minutes a day
    ~ Didn't meet this one, did it a few times in January. I need to figure out if it is really important, and if so, just do it. I mean, it's only 5 minutes!

Pretty happy with my progress, and excited about my 2nd quarter goals.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    My goals for 2014 and progress so far:

1 - Squat 250 lbs.
    ~ Went from 185 lbs to 215 lbs. This matches my previous PR before I took several months off lifting.

2 - Deadlift 300 lbs.
    ~ Went from 235 lbs to 255 lbs. This is 10 lbs higher than my previous PR.

3- Bench Press 150 lbs.
    ~ Went from 105 lbs to 120 lbs. This is 20 lbs higher than my previous PR.

4 - Hit those number in time for competition in October.
    ~ I've made progress in all my lifts!

5 - Compete in the PL competition in October!
    ~ Training is underway.

6 - Get into the 160s.
    ~ Started the year at 189 lbs (my highest weight to date, although my BF% is lower than it was at my previous high of 184 lbs). I am currently at 179 lbs.

7 - Follow lifting program and train at least 3 days per week.
    ~ Still going strong!

8 - Try new activities, and have fun!
    ~ I've done AirFit (see my profile pic), picked up and loved Bodycombat, and am signed up to try Krav Maga.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Finish C25K (starting week 3 today!) I have done one 30 minute run on the treadmill! Going to do the final run this week on treadmill (I hope--schedule issues) and have already started doing the "distance" version outside, because I still have trouble running outside. (stupid hills :grumble: )

Start (and finish!) Body by You (already downloaded onto my phone) Ok, I tried it for a few weeks, but wasn't crazy about it. So I have switched to doing body pump class once a week at the gym (yes, I know it is...cardio. But I am seeing newbie gains and getting comfortable with the barbell, which I had never touched before.)

Continue to progress in horseback riding until I am actually jumping 2'+ fences (just jumped crossrails last week for the first time). I am jumping 2' fences!!! Yeah!!!

Compete at a horse show this summer. Maybe. :wink: I got up the courage to tell my trainer that I want to. No specific date in mind yet, but at the last lesson she remarked to someone else that I was going to "smoke" the competition! :blushing:

Continue weight (fat) loss--want the 5 lbs gained over Xmas/NYE off by the end of the month, so that I am back in the overweight category rather than the obese. Eventually I will get to the elusive normal category. :happy: Still on track, although losses have slowed a little. I think TOM/water retention is partly to blame, so I am plugging on. Down 13 pounds for the year; also hit the 50 pound milestone!

Get the courage to have a bod pod done so I know what my body fat percentage is--the formulas are giving me widely divergent numbers. Repeat the bod pod 6 months later to track progress :blushing: Just went yesterday and got "dunked" instead. Right at 30%, which is what one of the calculators (and my own eyes) had me at. Put my ultimate goal for 22-23%, so looking at 20-25 pounds to go.

Walk/run/bike 50 miles in January (met my goal of 30 miles for December!) 40 miles for January, a dismal February, and 23 miles for March. This seems to be the only goal I can't reach, but since it is partly because I have upped my exercise doing things that don't rack up miles (body pump and horseback riding), I am not that worked up about it. I may make another push for it in May.

So should we be setting some new goals?

edited because I can't seem to figure out this quote thing...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Thanks to those who updated theirs. I need to update mine and start a new thread for Q2. Will do so today =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Final check-in for the quarter:

Over-arching 2014 goals:

1) Be better at not gaining too much weight when bulking so I hover nearer 150lb. ummmmmm.....

2) Qualify for 2015 USAPL Nationals Done

3) Compete in at least 3 more PL competitions Competed at the USAPL CA State Championships in February, and have an APA one in just over a week. Nationals will make it 3 but I would like to do a few more - but after Nationals.

4) Actually get my assistance work in Getting better but not as good as I would like

5) 1RM goals. Stretch goals in parens/brackets.
    - Back squats: 275lb -> 300lb (315lb)
    - Front squat: 225lb -> 245lb (250lb)
    - Deadlifts: 325lb -> 350lb (375lb)
    - Bench: 160lb -> 175lb
    - OHP: 112lb -> 120lb (135lb according to SS..lol)
    Still working on these - it's a process - adding a paused bench goal in of 165lb

6) 5RM goals:
    - Back squats: 245lb -> 275lb
    - Front squat: 185lb -> 215lb
    - Deadlifts: 270lb -> 315lb
    - Bench: 135lb -> 155lb (max at 135lb currently = 7 reps)
    - OHP: 95lb - > 110lb
    Still working on these also

7) Other random lifting goals:
    - Bench 135lb x 10
    - Neutral grip pull ups – 12 consecutive (currently 6)
    - Doing at least one wide grip pull-up from a complete dead hang

First quarter goals:

1) Get back down to sub 150lb - this will mean getting back to tracking properly as I got lax over the holidays. I did, and now I am over - but am ok to hover in the mid 150s as it fits in with my performance goals
    2) Compete in a USAPL meet (possibly one in February) Done
    3) Do assistance work (especially the pulling and glute and single leg work) and stick to the program See above
    4) Be more consistent at hitting depth in my squats Have been really good at this and hitting depth just about all the time
    4) Specific lifting goals:
    - Squat: 255lb x 5 (all to good depth) Due to the change in my routine this was going to be achievable - going to carry over to Q2
    - Bench: 140lb x 5 Done...happy about this
    - Deadlift: 285lb x 5 As noted earlier, done and updated goals to 305lb x 5, but my new(ish) routine really focuses on single pulls, so I will just carry this over to Q2

I am also stealing the 'sleep' one from @davert - I have shitty sleep patterns that impact my results.It got better then worse again at the end of the quarter - so still needs work
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Great job, Sara! You are amazing, and inspire me to keep going.