I gained 2 pounds in 3 days?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to ask. my weight fluctuates daily 1-2 lbs ..but 2 years ago I ate chocolate cake and ice cream for 4 days in a row
    ( as one meal a day) and ended up gaining 5 lbs in about a week!
    It was after a birthday and for some reason I just ate it 'til it was gone.
    The scale just kept creeping up after that and now, 2 years later, I am 20lbs more than I was before then.
    I'd say just watch the fattening stuff like Nutella and sweets. They can creep up on you slowly.
    There are no fattening foods. You can have chocolate cake and ice cream every day and lose weight as long as you stay within your calorie goals. In other words, it wasn't the cake and ice cream per say that made you gain weight, but eating over your TDEE. :smile:
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There are no good and bad foods, there are just foods you can eat everyday, and foods that you can still eat and love, but might not be the best for your goals.
    It's probably water weight, just look at the big picture and the trend of your weight, like in a graph. Ignore the small fluctuations.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The ability to allow yourself a treat after however many days of not, shows a healthy view to food and not denying yourself what you want to eat, as long as it factors into your allowed calories with some exercise.
    I wouldn't worry too much about a couple of pounds- it won't undo all your hard work and gives you motivation to keep going. Sounds a little like a 4 steps forward 2 steps back routine but you're still not losing any of your hard work per-se.
  • jennyglass
    Options
    I'm not one to ask. my weight fluctuates daily 1-2 lbs ..but 2 years ago I ate chocolate cake and ice cream for 4 days in a row
    ( as one meal a day) and ended up gaining 5 lbs in about a week!
    It was after a birthday and for some reason I just ate it 'til it was gone.
    The scale just kept creeping up after that and now, 2 years later, I am 20lbs more than I was before then.
    I'd say just watch the fattening stuff like Nutella and sweets. They can creep up on you slowly.

This is misleading. Particular foods are not 'fattening'. Eating more calories than you are burning - requiring your body to store them as fat - is fattening. While extremely difficult to do due to the low Calorie density, you could get fat eating nothing but locally produced, organically farmed lettuce. I know it's a farcical example, but it's just making a point.

^^^ This

1lb of fat is 3500 calories so 5 lb is 17500 calories. You must have eaten a hell of a lot of chocolate cake and ice cream each of the 4 days to do this.

Wow..didn't know my personal experience with cake would be so interesting.
    I ate one piece of cake and a bowl of ice cream, and yes, after about 6 years of not gaining weight I gained 5 lbs in a week that was not water weight.
    Weighed myself almost everyday for years. It happened. Don't know why but it did. Could be hormonal or otherwise..but it is possible.

Everyone is different and it is not an exact thing you can measure unless you take every single life moment (stress, etc) and a person's entire physical makeup into account.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    a few pound fluctuation usually isn't anything to worry about. I usually weigh myself once a week, and as long as there is some sort of downward slope, I'm good. Also, "bad" foods don't make you gain weight. Eating too many calories does. I eat mostly "bad" food and still lose weight.

this.