Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

The official nightshift thread....

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Wow, that's a toughie. Mattress on the floor is doable, lots of first year college students do it, and probably the safest idea for all of you. Hugs to your family, it's a very difficult situation, that's for sure.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Mm, that's a tough situation, and a tough disorder to have. Tbh, I've slept on a mattress on the floor many times, even as an adult, and found it perfectly satisfactory.
  • bethanie0825
    bethanie0825 Posts: 1,474 Member
    I, too, have slept on a mattress on the floor, more than once. It may be safer for her in the long run too.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,188 Member
    I hate when you go to bed and wake up angry. It's not a great start to the weekend.
  • bethanie0825
    I hate when you go to bed and wake up angry. It's not a great start to the weekend.

Nah, it's not. It makes everything harder to deal with.
  • jennifer_417
    So, it looks like I'm buying a house. My landlady called me yesterday and told me the owner wants to sell and wondered if I wanted to buy the house. I did a little mathing, and if I can get an FHA loan I should be able to do it. I have a bit on an inheritance coming that will enable me to pay the down payment. It's funny, I've never had a real desire to own a house, but I really, really don't want to move. So. Eep.

@sufferlandrian - hope you're in a better mood now!
  • canadjineh
    WooHoo Jenn!!
    Be careful to factor in what you might do in an uptick of interest rates.... Don't be livin' on the edge when it comes to housing, as the outcome of the fight between the Prez and the Federal Reserve may affect you. Here's a good 'quickie' article and chart to help you figure out a safe amount to spend on shelter: https://cnbc.com/2018/06/06/how-much-of-your-income-you-should-be-spending-on-housing.html
  • bethanie0825
    6 hours of shift left to go...not that I'm counting or anything
  • sufferlandrian
    Fortunately FHA loans are fixed interest rates and rates are low right now so if you can do it, that would be fantastic!

Oh please let this weekend end!
  • jennifer_417
    I'm scared to death, just to be honest. It just seems like so much responsibility. But I think it's the right thing to do.
  • sufferlandrian
    Here's a piece of advice my father in law gave us that has played true over the years. Buy as much house as you can afford but do it with a fixed interest rate and don't keep refinancing. The value of the house will always go up over time, even if there are dips in the market. When you sell, not only will you paid equity in the house, but the value will have produced equity as well. Between the two, you can earn more than the bank would ever pay you. If you pay rent, you will never see any of that money back. If you pay mortgage, you will always see a return if you hang on to the house long enough. Even when we spent less than a year in Florida, we made money on the house because the value rose, but our mortgage didn't. It is scary, but hold your breath and make the leap. You will be glad you did five years down the road.
  • jennifer_417
    Ok, I told my landlady today that I'm interested in buying. She used to be a realtor and told me she'll help me as much as she legally can since she isn't licensed any more. I'm SO glad she's willing to help!
  • sufferlandrian
    Yeah! I'm excited for you Jenn. :smile:
  • sufferlandrian
    The wind is blowing pretty good here. Not enough to keep me from riding, but it really slows me down getting to work. At least it is consistent in the direction. Rides home in the AM are pretty easy peasy. :smile:
  • bethanie0825
    Ok, I told my landlady today that I'm interested in buying. She used to be a realtor and told me she'll help me as much as she legally can since she isn't licensed any more. I'm SO glad she's willing to help!

This is awesome!!!!

It's warm and humid here, no complaints from me tho, my pool is open :smiley:
  • jennifer_417
    edited May 2019
    Must...stay...awake...zzz

We have a bunch of tornadoes here, a bad one about 100 miles away from me. There's a watch in my county until 4am CST. We'll see how it goes.
  • bethanie0825
    Stay safe! Storms this year are no joke. We've had 2 or 3 tornado touchdowns this year in central NC and that's not common. Being from Ohio, it was a normal thing but not in NC. Craziness
  • canadjineh
    Fires are ramping up again in our part of the continent. N. Alberta High River just had 700+ people evac'ed to Slave Lake (who had 40% of the town burned out in 2011). Right now we are watching our river - got about a month before cresting and it's up pretty high, if it rises slowly there shouldn't be a problem but it seems like there's something every year now. Large campfire ban in the region a few hours north of us. Nothing here yet. We've had a couple good campfires in the back yard and enjoy listening to the frogs and birds in the early evening.
  • sufferlandrian
    Wow Jineh, I'm surprised after all the fires you had last season that you have anything left to burn.

Jenn, Stay safe. I'd rather face hurricanes than tornadoes. At least hurricanes give you warnings.
  • bethanie0825
    It's was a quiet weekend around here I see. I spent my weekend painting deck railing and taking care of clutter. How was everyone else's weekend?