Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Waterproof mascara. Why wash my face before my workout? Its a waste of time.

And to further piss everybody off. I braid and knot my hair before my workout. My body heat during my workout sets it, so I have perfect curls walking OUT of the gym.

You can look fabulous at the gym, and still have a killer workout.

PS- the best time to give yourself a facial (exfoliate and extract) and/or use blackhead strips is after a vigorous workout.

I don' t think makeup is going to give anyone breathing problems, so I don't see the issue. If I go to the gym after work, I bring a makeup wipe to quickly wipe my foundation off, but I don't bother spending extra time taking all my eye makeup off.

I twist my hair into a nice little buns so I have nice curls when I leave, too!
  • ChaelaMonstah
    ChaelaMonstah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is seriously freaky! This happened to me today! No joking! I've never had it happen before, this is the first time.

Basically, I was on the elliptical trainer for almost half an hour when this woman decided to plonk her *kitten* on the machine next to me and she stank of this horrible, disgusting, overpowering perfume. Obviously I was a little out of breath because I was exercising but I started having problems breathing so I had to get off.

I went to the kettlebell area which is far away from the machine and I could still smell it. The dude near me could smell it too and asked me if it was her, I nodded. Anyway, five minutes later, she got off and started doing kettlebells next to me. I finished my reps and went to the rowing machine. Did ten minutes when she started rowing. I just went into the boxing room and quickly did some punchbag work before she followed me again. As I was about to leave, someone spoke up and told her she overdid it on the perfume, haha.

It is quite irritating though because I'm asthmatic and my breathing has been funny since then and it was quite a few hours ago.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm going to the gym in a bit. Just put on makeup and a cute outfit. Still think my warmup will be harder than the hater's workout. ;)
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I walk and jog around my neighborhood and smoke from grills and chimneys is a lot worse than perfume. I burn my nose and throat breathing every time I exercise. And it's seriously toxic.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The whole 'coming from work I cant help it' excuse is BS. I don't know of any perfume or body spray that lasts for 9 hours.

I had an asthma attack once due to a gentleman who bathed in Drakkar Noir before hitting the treadmill next to me. I'm still slightly salty about it.
  • FromFlabToFurious
    FromFlabToFurious Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Look up to the skies and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...
    Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the old spice guy?
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

The man your man could smell like?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

The man your man could smell like?
    Uhuhm. *nods in approval* "I'm on a horse."
    Thor: "I need a horse!"
    Clearly a correlation.
  • tlab827
    Options
    As someone that does have severe asthma, and highly sensitive to perfumes, yes the cleaning aisle in the grocery store is torture (so I make my husband pick up anything we need from there), I know it's MY responsibility to control my asthma triggers. This is one of the reasons I have set up my home gym, because here I can control it.

I can't expect to go to a gym and tell everyone don't wear this or that because it might trigger my asthma, that's not their responsibility or problem its MINE. So I found a solution that works for me, if going to a gym triggers your asthma find a solution that you can control.

I don't run outside because running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates my lungs. So I run insdie in a treadmill. Im not super sensitive to perfumes but this gal last night OMG I had to move to a different treadmill- and I couldn't get my airways open for another 30 mins. Just because she wanted to smell "good".

That was probably my house. I wasn't doing laundry I was trying to cover up some other smells ;)
  • tlab827
    Options
    Double post
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post it because their are a lot of new years resolutionists at the gym this time of year that don't know perfumes and colognes are not cool in gyms.

actually I don't know anyone under 60 who even wears the stuff anymore

Are all the resolutionists 60+?

Not everyone's skin can take showering pre and post workout. (And not all gyms have showers. Or even locker rooms.) I thank everyone who wears their antiperspirant to the gym. I've never had to experience someone wearing so much scent that it bothered me, but if I did, I could always move. What is bothersome to you might be normal to most others.
  • tappanga1
    tappanga1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Why do you care what I look like when I work out? I kill the gym, 6 days a week. But I prefer to look good doing it. And yup, that means makeup and cute outfits. I sweat like crazy, and wear waterproof eye makeup. Never fails to boggle the mind why so many people care what others do. How about you worry about YOUR workout, and leave me to mine.

I agree with you Summertime. I don't sweat as much as others. Doesn't mean I don't work out as hard. Trust me, I've killed it for hours trying to get that awesome "sweaty hair, sweaty tshirt" accomplished look. Not happening for me. And I don't always remember to bring my makeup removing wipes, so I've been to the gym in the same made up face I wore in the office all day. Heck, I've even worn false eyelashes to the gym. Doesn't mean I'm treating the gym as if it's prom.
  • tappanga1
    tappanga1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone that does have severe asthma, and highly sensitive to perfumes, yes the cleaning aisle in the grocery store is torture (so I make my husband pick up anything we need from there), I know it's MY responsibility to control my asthma triggers. This is one of the reasons I have set up my home gym, because here I can control it.

I can't expect to go to a gym and tell everyone don't wear this or that because it might trigger my asthma, that's not their responsibility or problem its MINE. So I found a solution that works for me, if going to a gym triggers your asthma find a solution that you can control.

I don't run outside because running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates my lungs. So I run insdie in a treadmill. Im not super sensitive to perfumes but this gal last night OMG I had to move to a different treadmill- and I couldn't get my airways open for another 30 mins. Just because she wanted to smell "good".

You've gotta be kidding me. You are so beyond dramatic. It's a bit ridiculous. Running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates your lungs? 1) How do you know when they are doing their laundry? 2) Unless you have the sniffers of a dog, I DOUBT you can even smell anything. 3) I can walk/run/jog perfectly past people's homes while they're "doing laundry" and I have severe asthma/allergies and a lung function of 28% that requires breathing treatments multiple times a day. So please save the drama.

^^This. Plus, "I couldn't get my airways open for another 30 mins" means you'd be dead.
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    is this real life?

is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality.

Open your eyes.

Look up to the sky
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Had something like this happen to me yesterday. Never been a problem before, I really don't have much of a sense of smell (sinus issues). But because of this I'm one of those that have to breathe through my mouth when I run... and if I can taste your cologne, you're wearing too much.

I like people to smell nice... I also like to smell nice, but we all know that smelling nice is not what people are complaining about. Unfortunately, common courtesy is becoming a little less common everyday.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nope, not going to happen
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    No one is forcing you to go to the gym.

I understand asking co-workers or your classmates to avoid perfume if you are allergic. But the gym??? come on.

Just work out at home if you can't tolerate other people doing nothing wrong.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Can't believe we are still talking about this...