Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I'm still catching up on this thread...(currently back on page 10 and surprised it's even still here)...but please, oh please, for the love of all things good and holy, someone please tell me that *everyone* figures out the apparently-too-confusing quote tags before this thing ends. (Seriously, how difficult is that? Don't delete the things in the brackets...and put your response after all of those bracketed words. That's it.)

Okay, intermission's over...now back to the show.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Veganism was impossible before the advent of B12 supplemtd made from microbes.

So?

Just pointing it out. Veganism is impossible without chemicals produced and refined in a lab.

Again, it baffles me why this matters to you.

It was in reference to the claim that humans are herbivores.
    Also, that vegans claim that "its the way we are supposed to eat"
    Hope your not claiming I said humans are herbivores. Although many are. Or that I claim that " this is the way we are supposed to eat" .

There is a difference between "being" a herbivore and successfully living a vegan lifestyle, there are a lot of vegan humans but as of yet it is science and industry that accomodate this, not being born a herbivore....
    which has been argued ad nauseam in this very thread.

Somewhere in our huge world population, there are probably some individuals who can eat a plant-based diet without supplemental vitamin B12. Hopefully, there's no natural calamity that helps reveal who those people are by natural selection. In the meantime, I love the technology that improves our lives, including vitamin B12 which is generally recommended to the general population over the age of 50.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I would like to see home gardens become more popular.

*LIKE.

Home gardens don't produce many calories per day.
    Why not?

because I live in New Brunswick Canada and our growing season is short and veggies don't have a tonne of calories and it's hard when you have a big garden to actually eat it all before it goes bad...I even can/bottle/pickle and I still have to give a crap tonne of the stuff away...and even then lots ends up in the composter.

We have a hard time growing tropical items in a zone 4a or 4b

Come on! All of those millions in urban settings need to become self sufficient. Nothing like fields of kale growing in lower manhattan

Kale already tastes like crap:sick: you add in urban Manhattan toxins...amg...blech...:sick:

Reasons I didn't farm when I lived there and chose instead to enjoy the steakhouses
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I would like to see home gardens become more popular.

*LIKE.

Home gardens don't produce many calories per day.
    Why not?

because I live in New Brunswick Canada and our growing season is short and veggies don't have a tonne of calories and it's hard when you have a big garden to actually eat it all before it goes bad...I even can/bottle/pickle and I still have to give a crap tonne of the stuff away...and even then lots ends up in the composter.

We have a hard time growing tropical items in a zone 4a or 4b

Come on! All of those millions in urban settings need to become self sufficient. Nothing like fields of kale growing in lower manhattan

Rooftop gardens are not a terrible idea. Except that I am a roof inspector, so yes the eff they are.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Reasons I didn't farm when I lived there and chose instead to enjoy the steakhouses

Where NB or Manhatten? Cause I know we don't have very many steak houses...we grill it in our back yards...or as we say where I live "door yards"
  • MadameLAL
    I like doing some backyard and deck gardening, but...blech...kale. Not all vegetarians like kale and yoga.
  • SunofaBeach14

Where NB or Manhatten? Cause I know we don't have very many steak houses...we grill it in our back yards...or as we say where I live "door yards"

Manhattan. There are a ****load of steakhouses
  • jeardawg
    jeardawg Posts: 110 Member
    Veganism was impossible before the advent of B12 supplemtd made from microbes.

So?

Just pointing it out. Veganism is impossible without chemicals produced and refined in a lab.

Again, it baffles me why this matters to you.

It was in reference to the claim that humans are herbivores.
    Also, that vegans claim that "its the way we are supposed to eat"
    Hope your not claiming I said humans are herbivores. Although many are. Or that I claim that " this is the way we are supposed to eat" .

There is a difference between "being" a herbivore and successfully living a vegan lifestyle, there are a lot of vegan humans but as of yet it is science and industry that accomodate this, not being born a herbivore....
    which has been argued ad nauseam in this very thread.

Somewhere in our huge world population, there are probably some individuals who can eat a plant-based diet without supplemental vitamin B12. Hopefully, there's no natural calamity that helps reveal who those people are by natural selection. In the meantime, I love the technology that improves our lives, including vitamin B12 which is generally recommended to the general population over the age of 50.

I will stop right there because I was just trollin anyway :bigsmile:
  • MadameLAL

Particularly in midtown. That's a veggie wasteland, unfortunately.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    lol @ vegans, just lol.
  • wheird
    I like doing some backyard and deck gardening, but...blech...kale. Not all vegetarians like kale and yoga.

I think things like tomatoes, peppers, and maybe a type of squash are great things to grow.

And maybe some topsy turvy strawberries.
    Oh and herbs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

must be nice...our closest one is 1hour away and it's not that good hence all the bbq'ing in the "door yard"
  • SunofaBeach14

I think things like tomatoes, peppers, and maybe a type of squash are great things to grow.

Oh and herbs.

In for herb
  • wheird

Oh and herbs.

In for herb

Makes gardening less of a chore. :wink:
  • MadameLAL

Oh and herbs.

You're speaking my language! I love growing basil and tomatoes for bruschetta, pizzas and pasta dishes. YUM!
  • SunofaBeach14

Too many carnivores . . .
  • MadameLAL

Exactly! Gotta feed the tourists. I much prefer east village.
  • wheird

Oh and herbs.

You're speaking my language! I love growing basil and tomatoes for bruschetta, pizzas and pasta dishes. YUM!

That is pretty much what I had in mind! As well as caprese salads!

I kinda wanna look into making fresh mozzarella as well.
  • SunofaBeach14

Exactly! Gotta feed the tourists. I much prefer east village.

meh, I left years ago.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    For anyone truly interested in a vegan diet this is a useful page regarding B12 - it has references and everything.

http://www.veganhealth.org/b12/plant
    Awesome site thanks! It makes me agree with me more.