Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    No one could be a healthy vegan without the convenience of modern technology unless maybe you live at the equator where plant life is abundant year round

That can't be true.
    yeah...grocery stores that offer veggies and fruit year round even in winter year among other things...and even then it's still work to make sure you're eating a wide variety of plants to get all the nutrients you need.

Keep forgetting all carnivores hunt.
    But that's beyond the point. In certain climates and especially in the dead of winter you would have to hunt to survive or you would die. Thats your only option. Your plant choices are pretty thin, no avocados, nuts...and certainly not enough to survive on without serious malnutrition.
    I think we have all gone beyond the point here. I know a lot of places where wild foragers could survive. If things were as bad off as described above why not migrate duh.
    Name one
    Grow up.
    I've never heard of Grow up, what continent is that on?
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    Did this Nobel prize winner also predict the end of people having pets?

Or did they predict that all cats and dogs would become vegans too?

What does that have to do with anything?
    Well if there's no meat being farmed/produced by humans, what are all the dogs and cats (and other pets) going to eat?

Or are you proposing turning them all out into the wild? Or perhaps just killing them all? (As well as all the domestic cows, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.)

Okay, now I get your point. We are nowhere near the point of growing cost-effective lab meat, but I am hopeful that will provide meat for the animal companions we have who need it in the future.
    What's wrong with humans eating lab-grown meat?

I'm actually hopeful it's a perfectly delicious alternative for humans, too. As I understand it, the process doesn't require slaughter, but may require that animals be kept and biopsied for starter cells every once in a while. I wouldn't personally be interested, but I hope it's really, REALLY good for those who enjoy meat.

I prefer my meat to bleed. I particularly enjoy harvesting game meat.

We all have preferences. Whether they continue to be sustainable is the question.

You keep on worrying about that

How very dismissive of you. If you aren't interested in this discussion of the future, go somewhere else. I really don't care about your individual preferences. Perhaps you can't recognize a theoretical discussion when you see it.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    I can just see it...

The year is 2214 and meat has been outlawed....we are all gardening, eating lab grown protien.

All the cows, chickens etc have been set free and we are being over run by herbivores, our gardens are no more because of the over abundance of cows and sheep eating our gardens......

then the lions and tigers and bears...OH MY

start to take over and get bigger and bigger...oh nooooooooooooes

They get so big they are now at the top of the food chain...

Humans become prey...we die out...meat eaters take over.

why all because of vegans....jeez.

*goes to have a bacon cheese burger to console herself*

That's a lovely work of fiction. This wouldn't happen overnight.

Haha yes ficton and poking fun...I mean come on...

...when the Deer population becomes too large there are issues for the agricultural community...think about it...I mean god forbid we kill something and not eat it that's just wasteful and disgusting...

We are on top of the food chain for a reason...

*thinks about the underground meat market that could ensure...$$$$$$$$$$$$ mama gonna get some new boots...*

Human population is a bit out of control as well. Any bright ideas? I would presume you are all for killing humans and not eating them. What a waste.

ya, people that can afford one and have a two parent home can have kids. the problem is people that shouldnt be breading are.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I like doing some backyard and deck gardening, but...blech...kale. Not all vegetarians like kale and yoga.

I think things like tomatoes, peppers, and maybe a type of squash are great things to grow.

And maybe some topsy turvy strawberries.
    Oh and herbs.

You're speaking my language! I love growing basil and tomatoes for bruschetta, pizzas and pasta dishes. YUM!

That is pretty much what I had in mind! As well as caprese salads!

I kinda wanna look into making fresh mozzarella as well.

Fresh is best. I make many homemade vegan cheeses, including an amazing mozzarella. I can't want for August tomatoes.

What is the process for vegan mozzarella?

The recipe I use contains soymilk and refined coconut oil as the prime ingredients. I know it sounds horrible, but it fools active cheese-lovers, like my kids. The problem is, it has loads of calories and fat (like real cheese).

So you're forcing veganism on your kids? Nice.

They are 21 and 18 years old and vegetarians by choice. They were raised with their eyes wide open about the process of producing meat. So was I, on a family farm. It's one reason I am drawn to plant-based cuisine.

lol - family farm? lmao

I'm so loving this thread. Between the 3 degree fallacy generator and the family farmer turned vegan, this thread has certainly delivered.
  • MadameLAL

Well if there's no meat being farmed/produced by humans, what are all the dogs and cats (and other pets) going to eat?

Or are you proposing turning them all out into the wild? Or perhaps just killing them all? (As well as all the domestic cows, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.)

Okay, now I get your point. We are nowhere near the point of growing cost-effective lab meat, but I am hopeful that will provide meat for the animal companions we have who need it in the future.

I'm actually hopeful it's a perfectly delicious alternative for humans, too. As I understand it, the process doesn't require slaughter, but may require that animals be kept and biopsied for starter cells every once in a while. I wouldn't personally be interested, but I hope it's really, REALLY good for those who enjoy meat.

ya, been eating my elk almost everyday since september. got a deer i havent even started on, thats real organic right there. why would someone want to eat something that was created in a lab, gross.

Gross is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, body parts in the freezer is gross.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

We all have preferences. Whether they continue to be sustainable is the question.
    Eating is sustainable, depending on the population size. What is not sustainable is any amount of population growth. "Sustainable growth" is an oxymoron.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    I would like to see home gardens become more popular.

*LIKE.

Home gardens don't produce many calories per day.
    Why not?
    Because they don't use huge automated machines to work the land. Do you know how many man-hours it takes to cultivate, for example, one acre of corn by hand?
    Actually I spent 4 years growing such things as corn by hand and I agree it's hard work.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Madame, since we went back to an omivorous diet my carnitine levels are at normal. One *can* have a genetic metabolic disease that causes the body to lack the ability to take in carnitine. I think it's called carnitine uptake deficiency. In this case, no matter how much red meat the person eats, they're never going to get enough carnitine without supplementation and they need to follow a low fat, high carb diet while taking supplements for life.

However, one can have a nutritional carnitine deficiency without having the inborn error of metabolism. In this case all that is needed is dietary changes, perhaps supplementation while making the dietary changes (this is what we did). All infant formula has carnitine in it, so that helped my baby's levels get back up to normal.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I would like to see home gardens become more popular.

*LIKE.

Home gardens don't produce many calories per day.
    Why not?

because I live in New Brunswick Canada and our growing season is short and veggies don't have a tonne of calories and it's hard when you have a big garden to actually eat it all before it goes bad...I even can/bottle/pickle and I still have to give a crap tonne of the stuff away...and even then lots ends up in the composter.

We have a hard time growing tropical items in a zone 4a or 4b

I am sure you can grow more calorie dense veggies if you need to survive.

Just a thought but maybe you aren't meant to eat tropical items in Canada.

Wat? :huh:
  • MadameLAL
    I like doing some backyard and deck gardening, but...blech...kale. Not all vegetarians like kale and yoga.

I think things like tomatoes, peppers, and maybe a type of squash are great things to grow.

And maybe some topsy turvy strawberries.
    Oh and herbs.

You're speaking my language! I love growing basil and tomatoes for bruschetta, pizzas and pasta dishes. YUM!

That is pretty much what I had in mind! As well as caprese salads!

I kinda wanna look into making fresh mozzarella as well.

Fresh is best. I make many homemade vegan cheeses, including an amazing mozzarella. I can't want for August tomatoes.

What is the process for vegan mozzarella?

The recipe I use contains soymilk and refined coconut oil as the prime ingredients. I know it sounds horrible, but it fools active cheese-lovers, like my kids. The problem is, it has loads of calories and fat (like real cheese).

So you're forcing veganism on your kids? Nice.

They are 21 and 18 years old and vegetarians by choice. They were raised with their eyes wide open about the process of producing meat. So was I, on a family farm. It's one reason I am drawn to plant-based cuisine.

lol - family farm? lmao

I'm so loving this thread. Between the 3 degree fallacy generator and the family farmer turned vegan, this thread has certainly delivered.

My father was a depression kid who established a self-sufficient 5-acre farm. We raised turkeys, chickens, pigs and black angus steers. We also grew an acre vegetable garden.
  • MadameLAL
    Madame, since we went back to an omivorous diet my carnitine levels are at normal. One *can* have a genetic metabolic disease that causes the body to lack the ability to take in carnitine. I think it's called carnitine uptake deficiency. In this case, no matter how much red meat the person eats, they're never going to get enough carnitine without supplementation and they need to follow a low fat, high carb diet while taking supplements for life.

However, one can have a nutritional carnitine deficiency without having the inborn error of metabolism. In this case all that is needed is dietary changes, perhaps supplementation while making the dietary changes (this is what we did). All infant formula has carnitine in it, so that helped my baby's levels get back up to normal.

Thank you for educating me about this. Thank goodness your little one thrived on formula.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Hmm, a cheeseburger sounds really good right now.

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I would love to have the room to raise chickens. I eat a hell of a lot of eggs.
  • SunofaBeach14

You keep on worrying about that

How very dismissive of you. If you aren't interested in this discussion of the future, go somewhere else. I really don't care about your individual preferences. Perhaps you can't recognize a theoretical discussion when you see it.

And I couldn't care less about some vegan **** pretending to be a former family farmer while force feeding her kids ****. You're entertaining though. I have to give you that. Love the attack on intelligence. It's pretty much the last option of every vegan argument and it shows up every time. Usually from those of you with logic issues.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I hear taunting people's morals is really fu cking cool

I generally get a laugh out of it, actually.
  • fishnbrah

ya, been eating my elk almost everyday since september. got a deer i havent even started on, thats real organic right there. why would someone want to eat something that was created in a lab, gross.

Gross is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, body parts in the freezer is gross.

mmm, tastey body parts.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member

Are you referring to the deer that eat The farmers GMO corn as organic.
  • SunofaBeach14

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I generally get a laugh out of it, actually.

I always get a chuckle out of morals that don't make sense. Save the whales eat a vegan.
  • fishnbrah

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

be right back, going to get a cheeseburger.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I would love to have the room to raise chickens. I eat a hell of a lot of eggs.

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.