Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    GMO Crops have now been brought up. This thread delivers!
  • wheird
    I would love to have the room to raise chickens. I eat a hell of a lot of eggs.

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

That is pretty badass.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Did this Nobel prize winner also predict the end of people having pets?

Or did they predict that all cats and dogs would become vegans too?

What does that have to do with anything?
    Well if there's no meat being farmed/produced by humans, what are all the dogs and cats (and other pets) going to eat?

Or are you proposing turning them all out into the wild? Or perhaps just killing them all? (As well as all the domestic cows, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.)

Okay, now I get your point. We are nowhere near the point of growing cost-effective lab meat, but I am hopeful that will provide meat for the animal companions we have who need it in the future.
    What's wrong with humans eating lab-grown meat?

I'm actually hopeful it's a perfectly delicious alternative for humans, too. As I understand it, the process doesn't require slaughter, but may require that animals be kept and biopsied for starter cells every once in a while. I wouldn't personally be interested, but I hope it's really, REALLY good for those who enjoy meat.

I prefer my meat to bleed. I particularly enjoy harvesting game meat.

ya, been eating my elk almost everyday since september. got a deer i havent even started on, thats real organic right there. why would someone want to eat something that was created in a lab, gross.

Gross is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, body parts in the freezer is gross.

mmm, tastey body parts.

Slow roasted with onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and perhaps a nice mustard rub. Good stuff. Let the vegans suffer. They like it that way. They will always suffer for the sake of everyone else.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Hmm, a cheeseburger sounds really good right now.

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I hear taunting people's morals is really fu cking cool

I generally get a laugh out of it, actually.

I always get a chuckle out of morals that don't make sense. Save the whales eat a vegan.

I hear grass fed beef is the tastiest and thus it seems humans on a planet based diet would also...well.

You know where I'm going with this.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550

Well if there's no meat being farmed/produced by humans, what are all the dogs and cats (and other pets) going to eat?

Or are you proposing turning them all out into the wild? Or perhaps just killing them all? (As well as all the domestic cows, sheep, goats, chickens, etc.)

Okay, now I get your point. We are nowhere near the point of growing cost-effective lab meat, but I am hopeful that will provide meat for the animal companions we have who need it in the future.

I'm actually hopeful it's a perfectly delicious alternative for humans, too. As I understand it, the process doesn't require slaughter, but may require that animals be kept and biopsied for starter cells every once in a while. I wouldn't personally be interested, but I hope it's really, REALLY good for those who enjoy meat.

ya, been eating my elk almost everyday since september. got a deer i havent even started on, thats real organic right there. why would someone want to eat something that was created in a lab, gross.

Are you referring to the deer that eat The farmers GMO corn as organic.

no, im talking about a coues deer that live in the desert. tastiest deer there is. tenderloin is better than beef filet.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

That is pretty badass.

Well, i was visiting a farm and was given a choice between killing the chicken or cleaning it and removing the feathers and stuff for supper. It seemed like an obvious choice.
  • wheird

Not a farm girl tho.

That is pretty badass.

Well, i was visiting a farm and was given a choice between killing the chicken or cleaning it and removing the feathers and stuff for supper. It seemed like an obvious choice.

I agree. Defeathering a chicken is a PITA I hear.
  • SunofaBeach14

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I always get a chuckle out of morals that don't make sense. Save the whales eat a vegan.

I hear grass fed beef is the tastiest and thus it seems humans on a planet based diet would also...well.

The vegans will definitely be the first to go after the apocalypse. Shhhhh! Be very very quiet . . .
  • Achrya

Not a farm girl tho.

I've killed and cooked squirrel. I dated a guy from northern PA and we went to visit his mom for the holidays and the next thing I knew I was skinning a squirrel. And then there was stew.

And it was delicious, with a huge chunk of soda bread on the side. Unf.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108

We all have preferences. Whether they continue to be sustainable is the question.

You keep on worrying about that

How very dismissive of you. If you aren't interested in this discussion of the future, go somewhere else. I really don't care about your individual preferences. Perhaps you can't recognize a theoretical discussion when you see it.

And I couldn't care less about some vegan **** pretending to be a former family farmer while force feeding her kids ****. You're entertaining though. I have to give you that. Love the attack on intelligence. It's pretty much the last option of every vegan argument and it shows up every time. Usually from those of you with logic issues.

Okay. I plan to keep personal facts out of my comments right now. I'm sorry if you think I was attacking your intelligence. I am actually just trying to keep the discussion on societal change in the future. And you are right, my personal disclosures aren't helpful in maintaining the focus where I would like it to be.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member

Not a farm girl tho.

I've killed and cooked squirrel. I dated a guy from northern PA and we went to visit his mom for the holidays and the next thing I knew I was skinning a squirrel. And then there was stew.

I had a rabbit when i was a kid. It lived in the yard in a big cage kind of thing, but i liked to bring it inside once in a while. My parents told me years later that it didn't actually escape. I ate it.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I hear insects might be next on the menu.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108

Not a farm girl tho.

That is pretty badass.

I agree. Defeathering a chicken is a PITA I hear.

Yes. It's stinky and disgusting. My grandfather used to stab chickens in the throat, and then defeather the chickens in a wheelbarrow filled with boiling water. Then, I used to help gut them with my father on an old workbench. I have never eaten chicken since I remembered all the sights and smells.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I look forward to this as it will drive meat prices down.

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.
  • Achrya

Not a farm girl tho.

I had a rabbit when i was a kid. It lived in the yard in a big cage kind of thing, but i liked to bring it inside once in a while. My parents told me years later that it didn't actually escape. I ate it.

Thats kinda traumatizing. And so I won't ask if it was tasty.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I think Oprah's on a planet based diet.
  • wheird
    I hear insects might be next on the menu.

Already popular in certain countries.
  • SunofaBeach14

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I think Oprah's on a planet based diet.

I'm pretty sure she has her own rings
  • Achrya
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.

Chicken eggs aren't for humans, they're for baby chickens!!!!!