Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    I would love to have the room to raise chickens. I eat a hell of a lot of eggs.
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.

I agree. With a decent amount of room for them to run around, I see no morak qualms to eating their unfertilized eggs.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I look forward to this as it will drive meat prices down.

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I'm tellin' ya, insects.

eatingcrickets.jpg
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.

Chicken eggs aren't for humans, they're for baby chickens!!!!!

That's mean. They'll get mad chicken disease if you feed the eggs to the baby chickens...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

I've killed and cooked squirrel. I dated a guy from northern PA and we went to visit his mom for the holidays and the next thing I knew I was skinning a squirrel. And then there was stew.

And it was delicious, with a huge chunk of soda bread on the side. Unf.

I had a rabbit when i was a kid. It lived in the yard in a big cage kind of thing, but i liked to bring it inside once in a while. My parents told me years later that it didn't actually escape. I ate it.

Thats kinda traumatizing. And so I won't ask if it was tasty.
    Was it as tasty as Mr and Mrs Tenorman Chili?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

I've killed and cooked squirrel. I dated a guy from northern PA and we went to visit his mom for the holidays and the next thing I knew I was skinning a squirrel. And then there was stew.

I had a rabbit when i was a kid. It lived in the yard in a big cage kind of thing, but i liked to bring it inside once in a while. My parents told me years later that it didn't actually escape. I ate it.

Thats kinda traumatizing. And so I won't ask if it was tasty.

By the time they told me, they had to remind me that we used to have a rabbit as i barely remembered. I don't remember eating that one, but i had rabbit a few years ago and it was tasty. They're a specific breed tho, not just any rabbit. I think.

Oh, and my dad actually told me this when i said "I am so hungry, I could eat the cat". He thought it was funny.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Hmm, a cheeseburger sounds really good right now.

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I hear taunting people's morals is really fu cking cool

I generally get a laugh out of it, actually.

I always get a chuckle out of morals that don't make sense. Save the whales eat a vegan.

I hear grass fed beef is the tastiest and thus it seems humans on a planet based diet would also...well.

You know where I'm going with this.

What ? No one made fun of you for a typo? Must be in the carnivore clan.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.
  • LiftAllThePizzas

I'm tellin' ya, insects.

eatingcrickets.jpg
    I haven't eaten insects but I do like certain arthropods.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Joffing right along.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

I always get a chuckle out of morals that don't make sense. Save the whales eat a vegan.

I hear grass fed beef is the tastiest and thus it seems humans on a planet based diet would also...well.

Scroll up to the Oprah reference.

You are more bitter than my Pale Ale.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member

Not a farm girl tho.

I laughed so hard at this, no lie. And now I feel like a jerk.....sort of. Good story.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

We'll add that to the other issues.
  • MadameLAL

If you don't get them pre-sorted, it's not. If you only get hens, it's likely the male chicks were smothered or ground up for manure.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

I'm tellin' ya, insects.

eatingcrickets.jpg

Okay--you first since you're so keen. :tongue:
  • MadameLAL

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Message me. I would prefer taking this off line here. We can discuss this personally.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

Waits for you to catch up
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Hun. Take a chill pill. You're snorting fire.

I just continue to be amused
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

And even Hindus eat dairy and fish. The "sacred cows" of India are milked for the life-sustaining protein that they give. A classic study was done by scientists who concluded that it makes a great deal of sense to keep the cows alive than it would to slaughter them for a short period of meat for the people.
  • MadameLAL

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

And even Hindus eat dairy and fish. The "sacred cows" of India are milked for the life-sustaining protein that they give. A classic study was done by scientists who concluded that it makes a great deal of sense to keep the cows alive than it would to slaughter them for a short period of meat for the people.

Yes. There are no real examples of 100% plant-based cultures. But, there are examples of cultures who eat a predominantly plant-based diet. Of course, many indigenous dietary traditions are becoming westernized right now.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member

Maybe with some bacon.

2m4rjw8.jpg

Scroll up to the Oprah reference.

You are more bitter than my Pale Ale.
    Your right. I missed that.