Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    I was a vegetarian for about two years mainly for ethical and health reasons.

Reason I quit, bacon.

don't think repugnance with lead to a vegan lifestyle. I'm willing to wager
    that no matter how gross pink slime or factory farming practices are it's still
    less repugnant than turnips, rutabagas, brussel sprouts, etc. to an average
    person.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Um yeah. So I can't believe I just read this entire thread.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I look forward to this as it will drive meat prices down.

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

We'll add that to the other issues.

Am part Asian and did live in Japan. They do not eat "mainly" a plant based diet. Neither does Korea or China or even Okinawa. I believe it to be true for the Philipines and Taiwan as well. So....
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

And even Hindus eat dairy and fish. The "sacred cows" of India are milked for the life-sustaining protein that they give. A classic study was done by scientists who concluded that it makes a great deal of sense to keep the cows alive than it would to slaughter them for a short period of meat for the people.

Yes. There are no real examples of 100% plant-based cultures. But, there are examples of cultures who eat a predominantly plant-based diet. Of course, many indigenous dietary traditions are becoming westernized right now.

And there is a reason why there are no examples of a 100% plant-based culture. If there ever were any, they likely became extinct long ago. Look, no one but ghouls love the suffering of animals and I believe that all animals should be treated humanely and with the respect that is due to all of life. But it is a romantic notion that suggests that our 7+ billion human inhabitants could survive should we make the foolish decision that animal products should be done away.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Message me. I would prefer taking this off line here. We can discuss this personally.

LOL

And deprive us all of our apparent much-needed education???

Oh no, please don't do that.

What about our enlightenment???
  • serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    The amount of stupidity and disrespect in this thread is incredible. People like to make jokes about vegetarians identifying themselves - have they ever considered that because vegetarians/vegans are not the norm, it might avoid awkward situations if their friends and family know BEFORE they consider inviting them to a steakhouse/cooking them a meal with meat/etc.? And somehow we're throwing our lifestyle/morals in your faces, but all the "I Heart Bacon" swag and pretty much any food advertisement anywhere is okay because it conforms to what you're comfortable with.

It's amazing how quickly omnivores go on the offense when discussion of alternatives come up.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108
    I was a vegetarian for about two years mainly for ethical and health reasons.

Reason I quit, bacon.

don't think repugnance with lead to a vegan lifestyle. I'm willing to wager
    that no matter how gross pink slime or factory farming practices are it's still
    less repugnant than turnips, rutabagas, brussel sprouts, etc. to an average
    person.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of substandard veggie fare out there. I'm sorry you didn't find the delicious foods that could have satisfied your palate. They exist. They really do. All the veggies you mentioned are repugnant to supertasters, but some people actually like them. Bacon is a tough one. I went vegetarian overnight and I briefly considered becoming a vegetarian except for bacon. lol. Then I thought how ridiculous that was. Forty years later, bacon holds no appeal at all. I have found other foods which appeal to me much more.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    I would love to have the room to raise chickens. I eat a hell of a lot of eggs.

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

Was this your chicken for eating or a needs counseling sort of event?
  • serenity56
    serenity56 Posts: 79 Member
    And even in an online forum like this where the above example isn't relevant, what is so offensive/annoying/wrong of someone to ID themselves as vegetarian? We made a choice about something, obviously we feel strongly about it, and we like to discuss it sometimes.
  • MadameLAL

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Message me. I would prefer taking this off line here. We can discuss this personally.

LOL

I really want to defuse whatever is happening between us in this discussion. You are obviously perturbed, and I wanted an opportunity to make peace.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Am part Asian and did live in Japan. They do not eat "mainly" a plant based diet. Neither does Korea or China or even Okinawa. I believe it to be true for the Philipines and Taiwan as well. So....

Plz stap shattering people's sterotypes.

People in Asia eat rice and that's it, ok?
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

And even Hindus eat dairy and fish. The "sacred cows" of India are milked for the life-sustaining protein that they give. A classic study was done by scientists who concluded that it makes a great deal of sense to keep the cows alive than it would to slaughter them for a short period of meat for the people.

Yes. There are no real examples of 100% plant-based cultures. But, there are examples of cultures who eat a predominantly plant-based diet. Of course, many indigenous dietary traditions are becoming westernized right now.

And there is a reason why there are no examples of a 100% plant-based culture. If there ever were any, they likely became extinct long ago. Look, no one but ghouls love the suffering of animals and I believe that all animals should be treated humanely and with the respect that is due to all of life. But it is a romantic notion that suggests that our 7+ billion human inhabitants could survive should we make the foolish decision that animal products should be done

It is inaccurate to say there are no examples of a 100 percent plant-based culture.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    It is inaccurate to say there are no examples of a 100 percent plant-based culture.
    Again, Name one
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member

I once cut off a chicken's head and it still moved around for a bit after that. It was interesting. I was 13.
    Not a farm girl tho.

Was this your chicken for eating or a needs counseling sort of event?

For eating.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I see what you did.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.

If you don't get them pre-sorted, it's not. If you only get hens, it's likely the male chicks were smothered or ground up for manure.
    If the chicks we hatch are pre-sorted perhaps I should get better locks on my house.
  • MadameLAL
    Again, Name one

I'm not sure which poster claimed there was a 100% plant-based culture. I don't know of any, but truly believe modern technology and innovation might make it possible in the future.
  • MadameLAL
    We have chickens. I have yet to figure out how feeding them and protecting them (or eating eggs) amounts to cruelty.

If you don't get them pre-sorted, it's not. If you only get hens, it's likely the male chicks were smothered or ground up for manure.
    If the chicks we hatch are pre-sorted perhaps I should get better locks on my house.

Haha! I obviously didn't read carefully enough. If you hatch chicks conceived by your chickens, that's wonderful. I hope you have a happy, healthy flock. Chickens are so fun and entertaining.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

LOL

I really want to defuse whatever is happening between us in this discussion. You are obviously perturbed, and I wanted an opportunity to make peace.

If by "us" you mean "you and SunofaBeach14", then yeah, I can see what you mean.

But just so everyone is absolutely clear, I am not even slightly perturbed...

...in any way.

Amused, yes, perhaps even fascinated...

...but certainly not perturbed.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Plz stap shattering people's sterotypes.

People in Asia eat rice and that's it, ok?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: