Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I look forward to this as it will drive meat prices down.

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

We'll add that to the other issues.

Message me. I would prefer taking this off line here. We can discuss this personally.

LOL

And deprive us all of our apparent much-needed education???

Oh no, please don't do that.

What about our enlightenment???

I really want to defuse whatever is happening between us in this discussion. You are obviously perturbed, and I wanted an opportunity to make peace.

If by "us" you mean "you and SunofaBeach14", then yeah, I can see what you mean.

But just so everyone is absolutely clear, I am not even slightly perturbed...

...in any way.

Amused, yes, perhaps even fascinated...

...but certainly not perturbed.

I thought you were always perturbed...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I would like to see home gardens become more popular.

*LIKE.

Home gardens don't produce many calories per day.
    Why not?
    Because they don't use huge automated machines to work the land. Do you know how many man-hours it takes to cultivate, for example, one acre of corn by hand?
    Actually I spent 4 years growing such things as corn by hand and I agree it's hard work.

An acre of corn isn't exactly a home garden.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108

Food prices are artificially controlled by farm subsidies. I'm not sure what would happen to meat prices if government policy favored plant-based agriculture.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread--but here goes my bit of foolishness anyway. 1) We couldn't possibly even begin to cover the protein needs of the human inhabitants of this planet with a "plant-based" diet for everyone. Are you willing to see a great increase in the number of children with the swollen bellies of Kwashiorkor? Because that is exactly what will happen. Increased millions of children in Africa and Asia will be protein-starved on a vegan diet. Many in Asia do not eat meat (or, at least only tiny amounts) but they DO eat dairy and eggs which are "outlawed" by a strictly "plant-based" diet. 2) Quality plant-based diets are impossible many places in the world because the farmland simply will not support massive fields of grain and vegetables. A vegan diet that is not carefully planned and executed WILL NOT yield appropriate nutrition. People in developing nations do not have the luxury of ordering the most nutritious vegan ingredients--they must have at least a meager amount of animal protein. 3) Marginal farmland--that is, land that is not suitable for crops--has always been used to raise animals. 4) Herds of wild game are not only essential for countering the "desertification" of the planet, but are also absolutely necessary for the continued survival of many, many people. There is a TED lecture available that speaks to the issue of the vital importance of grazing animals. There are areas of Africa which are starting to be reclaimed from the desert through the use of grazing animals.

I know there are plants which are protein dense: beans, lentils, soy, and many green vegetables. Much of Asia eats a mainly plant-based diet, but of course, now they want a bit more of our pie and they are now abandoning their indigenous diets. On a cross-country trip across the country a couple of years ago, I saw firsthand how CAFO's and corn fields are very much linked. I saw more CAFO's then I did free-grazing herds on my trip.

"Much of Asia?" Care to come with me to Shanghai? Tokyo? Bangkok? Hong Kong? Bali? Seoul?

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

Message me. I would prefer taking this off line here. We can discuss this personally.

LOL

I really want to defuse whatever is happening between us in this discussion. You are obviously perturbed, and I wanted an opportunity to make peace.

If by "us" you mean "you and SunofaBeach14", then yeah, I can see what you mean.

...in any way.

I didn't mean you at all. And for the record, I'm really glad you aren't perturbed.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

Oh. Right. The Hindus.

I love exaggeration.

LOL

...in any way.

I thought you were always perturbed...

I can't imagine taking this "conversation" off line. The only people who have been perturbed are the vegans. I continue to simply be amused
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I hear insects might be next on the menu.

Insects are animals and not vegan.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    I am not a Nobel Prize Winner, but I think this thread should roll.

00-bacon-cinnamon-roll-300x300.jpg
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member

That kind of looks like Alfred Nobel, come to think of it.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

You should get a Fields Medal for adding bacon to a cinnamon roll.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

puppy-can-t-roll-over-o_zps961e681f.gif
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    It would mean that meat eaters would have to pay the real price of raising meat, not the heavily subsidized one they see now. That is, if government stopped subsidizing them. Government does not now subsidize crops grown for human consumption; only crops grown for animal consumption (i.e., meat and dairy on the hoof)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    wTOGI4P.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress

I have never considered rolling the bacon up in the roll. I always sprinkle bacon pieces on top. I think the roll method would yield a better meat to roll ratio.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    I am trying to decide if i want in after this roll or not.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    It would mean that meat eaters would have to pay the real price of raising meat, not the heavily subsidized one they see now. That is, if government stopped subsidizing them. Government does not now subsidize crops grown for human consumption; only crops grown for animal consumption (i.e., meat and dairy on the hoof)

Seriously?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    I am trying to decide if i want in after this roll or not.

I think the answer is YES
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member

I have never considered rolling the bacon up in the roll. I always sprinkle bacon pieces on top. I think the roll method would yield a better meat to roll ratio.

Fields_zpsfbeb26af.jpg
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    tumblr_lze3fnmeXY1qfy2kdo1_500.gif
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    tumblr_lze3fnmeXY1qfy2kdo1_500.gif

No bolognese.
  • MadameLAL
    MadameLAL Posts: 108

Seriously?

That's only slightly overstated. Fruit and vegetable farmers are mostly unsubsidized.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    I just feel like saying, I was a veg for 10 years -- and love nooch and several vegan recipes.

But I hate bad science and I hate propoganda.

ETA:

2-Maximus-Minimus_food.jpg

for the roll

ETA (to be fair/polite): OP hopes this is true: http://www.animalequality.net/news/603/nobel-prize-winner-predicts-rise-veganism-2014