Just an observation....almost scared to post!

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    In for the gifs
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I'm afraid to ask any questions for fear of being ridiculed for being utterly ignorant about how my own body works.

You know the reason. Most of the exceptionally stupid questions that bring out people's "mean" (aka sarcastic or impatient) side are questions that adult's with (extremely, as in elementary school) basic knowledge of science, math, or social interaction should know the answer to. The remaining questions that bring out the "mean" are things that could just as easily been googled or that regular posters see 1-2 times PER DAY so if you used the forum correctly, you wouldn't have needed to make a post.

This post, FYI, is the latter of the two.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Snip because holy cow this is getting long.
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
    Isn't asking on these forums an attempt to learn about things?
    the forums are a great place to discuss what you have learned from your research and possibly gain a greater understanding through the discussion. They should not be the place you look to first for information.

And if forums are the first place you go, the first act should be a search of that forum.

It seems reasonable to expect that a fitness forum that has thousands of users has had discussions about raspberry ketones once or twice.

I don't have that much of an issue about supplements minus those that don't seem to want any negative feedback even if it could mean saving them money or keeping them from setting themselves up for a rage quit.

The ones I don't understand are posting asking how many ounces are in a cup of water or if ice counts as water.

well does ice count as water or no? because like they arent the same thing and I went to wikipedia and there is an article for both and they arent the same thing

*facedesk*

Don't make me hurt you!!!!!! I will you know. :angry:

Disclaimer: zachbonner is a friend and it is a joke. I am by no means saying I would actually hurt him...maybe....depends....we'll see :tongue:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    And that's part of the issue, that Google tailors searches based on your history unless you choose to turn that feature off. When I search "raspberry ketones" without having searched for it before, the first several entries (excluding Wikipedia, which has a bad rep among some people for some reason) are positive endorsements including Dr. Oz, who for some reason still has credibility with millions of Americans.

I'm not saying we shouldn't correct people. I'm saying we should understand that they don't know better and not take our frustration out on them.

Interesting. Regardless, I have no sympathy for someone asking about something for which they have clearly spent ZERO time learning about.
    the forums are a great place to discuss what you have learned from your research and possibly gain a greater understanding through the discussion. They should not be the place you look to first for information.

And if forums are the first place you go, the first act should be a search of that forum.

It seems reasonable to expect that a fitness forum that has thousands of users has had discussions about raspberry ketones once or twice.

I don't have that much of an issue about supplements minus those that don't seem to want any negative feedback even if it could mean saving them money or keeping them from setting themselves up for a rage quit.

The ones I don't understand are posting asking how many ounces are in a cup of water or if ice counts as water.

well does ice count as water or no? because like they arent the same thing and I went to wikipedia and there is an article for both and they arent the same thing
    C6761C4F-1699-44F0-80DF-2D91A2AB994E-1228-00000224110D96EB_zps14a2e232.jpg
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    we've gotten away from what is important here:

98.gif
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member

Not going to lie, I didn't see the Search button up top for a couple of weeks until someone pointed it out to someone else. And I've been using internet forums for more than 15 years. I realize that's more of a reflection on me, but it happens.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Just an observation...

This topic is posted a lot.

Some people are very sensitive to feedback that isn't given with a spoonful of sugar. Other people aren't. Seek what works for you, ignore what does not.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    WOW...I am so sorry to hear that adults are acting like schoolyard bullies.

the secret word is: bullies!

ani1.gif
  • PikaKnight

98.gif

tumblr_m39dd8swYK1rp26sto1_400.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Not going to lie, I didn't see the Search button up top for a couple of weeks until someone pointed it out to someone else. And I've been using internet forums for more than 15 years. I realize that's more of a reflection on me, but it happens.

The fallback position is "don't get butthurt when people are a little snarky with you if you do something stupid."
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    eh. another mean people thread.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

98.gif

Holy crap - I just noticed that that was bread.

:laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

98.gif

13sJJ.gif
  • PikaKnight

98.gif

13sJJ.gif

150.gif.pagespeed.ce.2YmAgAyET9.gif
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member

The fallback position is "don't get butthurt when people are a little snarky with you if you do something stupid."
    My fallback position is "don't be snarky to people who genuinely don't understand." Better lesson retention and fewer hurt feelings.
  • desgmz
    desgmz Posts: 19 Member
    in before it gets deleted.
  • kittykat925
    kittykat925 Posts: 64 Member

98.gif

yes, we have. for once I agree with you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

My fallback position is "don't be snarky to people who genuinely don't understand." Better lesson retention and fewer hurt feelings.

The difference here is that my position governs my own feelings about my own actions, and doesn't involve me telling other people what to do :laugh:

Act the way you want on the forum. Let other people act the way they want. If you don't pass judgment on the manner in which they say things, you'll probably be happier.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 569 Member
    I dont think we need another one of these posts :grumble:
    ^
    Right...by all means, instead let's have more "friendly or not friendly" posts instead. OP, I have noticed it too, and several ppl have noticed it (as this one here has snarkily pointed out) and there are always asshats that respond to these posts too, denying anyone on here is anything but brutally honest. But, yes, there are a lot of mean, snotty elitists on here. Sadly, it is part of being on this site.
  • PikaKnight

98.gif

13sJJ.gif

150.gif.pagespeed.ce.2YmAgAyET9.gif

willy-wonka-you-get-nothing.gif

tumblr_m2m41lE3uD1r6663zo1_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.