Anyone else's toes go numb when working out?

2»

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    This used to happen to me and then all the sudden it stopped! I asked my doctor and he said it happens sometimes for so many reasons. I'm surprised that the number of people this happens to! They don't warn you about numb toes when you start to workout, do they? :smile:
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    In my case it was my shoes. I had a pair of New Balance shoes that I could not use for intense walking or on the treadmill. They were fine for Bodypump. Usually it was concentrated in the right foot.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    I do! But mine have nothing to do with leg tightness or tight shoes - I have a medical condition called Raynaud's Phenomenon. Essentially, my extremeties (toes, fingers, nose, ears, etc) get extra cold very very easily, fall asleep more easily than other people (numb/tingling), and if they get too cold for too long, begin to lose circulation.

If you notice your toes turning white in the places where they're going numb (like, the end of your toe being noticeably paler than the rest of your foot), you should stop working out and put your foot in a warmer area, or double up on socks.

However, if your numbness isn't due to Raynaud's (like mine is!) I don't have any suggestion other than to revise your choice of shoes :laugh: good luck!
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    It happens to me on the elliptical and when I run. I was assuming it was something to do with the circulation in my feet and lower legs.
  • this happens to me all the time and it leads to cramps and then getting cramps easier in the days that follow. i would be much more involved in exercise if this didn't happen to me. it's completely frustrating. i wear loose shoes but nothing really helps except not really putting much stress or weight on my feet.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    The elliptical does that to me.
  • i think the elliptical puts all the stress on your feet as you keep moving the pedals and pressing down hard over and over
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    I do! But mine have nothing to do with leg tightness or tight shoes - I have a medical condition called Raynaud's Phenomenon. Essentially, my extremeties (toes, fingers, nose, ears, etc) get extra cold very very easily, fall asleep more easily than other people (numb/tingling), and if they get too cold for too long, begin to lose circulation.

If you notice your toes turning white in the places where they're going numb (like, the end of your toe being noticeably paler than the rest of your foot), you should stop working out and put your foot in a warmer area, or double up on socks.

However, if your numbness isn't due to Raynaud's (like mine is!) I don't have any suggestion other than to revise your choice of shoes :laugh: good luck!

I actually have this as well, but only in my hands. If my hands get damp and chilly, they go numb and turn very white. It is NOT pleasant.
  • I also had numbness and leg cramps. My doctor gave me medicine for Restless Leg Syndrome which stop the cramps. Ask your doctor about it. The cramps were horrible, but they ended with the medication. I can deal with the numbness but the leg cramps were unbearable. I could not do exercise before. Now I ride by stationary bike for 18 miles each day without cramping.