Thoughts on Hot Yoga?

13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I don't know, if you're interested you'd have to research that yourself.

It wasn't me who suggested that certain poses possibly eliminates toxins, so I'll pass, thanks though.

If some proponents of yoga want to put that forth, I'd think that the onus would be on them to show evidence of that, rather than the old argument that Western medicine hasn't caught up to Eastern medicine.
    That teaching is as old as yoga itself, but since I don't think they were doing scientific studies back then, it's probably mostly just a spiritual belief. Kind of like you're not supposed to do inverted poses when you have your period because the energy flows the wrong way.

Yeah, but you'd think now that the capabilities are available to do the studies, they would be done to show that there was elimination of toxins.
    The Western world has probably done them and I can guess at the outcome without looking it up. :-)

But yoga practitioners still make the claims. I love yoga. It's great for strength, stretching, meditation, you name it. But I don't believe it's getting rid of "toxins," whatever those even are.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I don't think they're saying it removes toxins that the body couldn't remove without yoga. There are systems in place to detoxify the body naturally, of course. I think they're just saying that yoga can stimulate and enhance those systems to help them function better. If you breathe more deeply, you may remove more carbon dioxide. If you compress the lower abdomen, you may stimulate bowel function. Certain extensions of the neck may stimulate the endocrine glands in the area. Things like that.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I did this once and I got physically sick from exercising in the heat. It may depend on your own sensitivity to heat though.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I actually injured my back from Bikram yoga, so I can't recommend it. Though I did enjoy it and find it beneficial,barring that. But I haven't gone in 7 months and I'm still rehabilitating my back. So if I could undo all the practicing I did, I would.
  • I was on the fence about going to the class tonight, but I'm going to give it a shot. Maybe it will help alleviate the soreness from leg day.

Thanks for the input!
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    I love hot power yoga - it is vinyasa style in a 100 degree room. Generally, I hate heat, so I was terrified to try it, but it turns out that the heat feels fabulous and I just soak it in about three times a week. btw I had never done a yoga class before this. A headband to keep sweat out of my eyes (and from up my nose during inversions) and a couple hand towels are absolutely necessary. Give it a couple tries before you decide!
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Every time I hear/read about hot yoga, I think of this

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/2597736393.html

Having said that, I have done it a couple of times but I don't like exercising in a room that warm. Makes me nauseous.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    my thought on hot yoga is ...regular yoga already smells like sweaty feet...how much worse is hot yoga gonna smell?? :noway:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I've been practicing yoga on and off for several years (at home or my gym, not a studio) but just started doing hot yoga in November. I generally do two Power Vinyasa classes a week; the room temperature is mid to upper 90s. I sweat so bad I look like I've been standing in a shower. And it's awesome. It's the perfect counter to running, and I've made more progress in the last couple months than I did in all the time I took it at the gym. That being said - I love heat. I love running in the middle of the afternoon in summer, I crank the heat way up in my car, and I'm currently sitting at my desk with my space heater about 18 inches from my face. I'm pretty sure my hair is going to burst into flames at any minute.
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    I love hot yoga. It really helps you get into a more meditative state. So relaxing, and I can stretch deeeeep. Also, it doesn't really smell like you'd expect it to. A whiff of yourself or someone else maybe twice in a practice. Really, the gym is more stinky than hot yoga is.