New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,291 Member
    @mypixiedesigns - you mentioned you are now taking Ozempic. I started taking that in July and had one of the side effects which was it shut down my kidneys - so do monitor it carefully - you will do well with losing weight with it but it does damage the kidneys
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Hello I was diagnosed a little over a year ago. i take Steglatro daily and trulicity (once a week when i remember it exists). im starting to not eat for most of the day (as if that would fix it) im not sure if its healthy or not. i struggle to log in food for a number of reasons guessing what it is equivalent too, adding each ingredent is anoying, esentially if its not scan able im probaly not doing it and if it is i might not measure which feels pointless too. im struggling with my relationship with food at the moment it almost feels like the enemy. i grew up poor so carbs have always ben the friend cheap and easy to grab. im struggling to write this but i know doing nothing isnt gonna get me anywhere. (im also trying verry hard to not use this as therapy dumping all my life story here. verry negative and depressive brain right now sorry)
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,291 Member
    @Embera = please feel comfortable to come and ask or share - we need to have a safe place to do so and this is one of them.

Suggestion would be to take it one day at a time: take some time to think through what you would enjoy for breakfast and make a plan for the healthy choices that you come up with. Do this with each meal. Then before you eat anything on a given day, just for a day write down what you will eat, how much you will eat and then stick to it. Get one day under the belt so to speak, then get up and do it again just for one day.

Please ask questions if you are not sure what or how much to eat as I am sure you will be supported here by others that are working through the same situation

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    @Embera = please feel comfortable to come and ask or share - we need to have a safe place to do so and this is one of them.

Suggestion would be to take it one day at a time: take some time to think through what you would enjoy for breakfast and make a plan for the healthy choices that you come up with. Do this with each meal. Then before you eat anything on a given day, just for a day write down what you will eat, how much you will eat and then stick to it. Get one day under the belt so to speak, then get up and do it again just for one day.

Please ask questions if you are not sure what or how much to eat as I am sure you will be supported here by others that are working through the same situation

This is wise counsel. We are good with venting here too...
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Good Morning. My Name is Lee. I was T2 diagnosed in 2012. The dr (at that time) said "just lose 100lbs and it will reverse itself. I was 300lbs, a 2 pack a day smoker, and a truck driver. So I did. (yes I really lost 100 lbs. Changed careers, and quit smoking and guess what? He lied. So then I was immediately put on Metformin ER 1000mg a day which turned out to be an immediate fail because as the Doc says, with no gallbladder, the pill doesn't stay in. (If you know what I mean) Several times I found it in the bowl about an hour after taking it. So Then we went back to the original Metformin, and it was working except for stomach upset over 500 mg at a time.
    Fast forward several years and 3 months ago of just giving up and trying to manage it with diet and exercise I ended up in the hospital in December of 2022. My A1c turned out to be 16.8 I knew it was bad and I could no longer manage it. I lost 50% of my vision, became incontinent at times, and just basically fell apart. I mean, I'm 56 years old. I'm way to young to die in my mind. My Glucose took 2 days in the hospital to get it under 400. I now have a new Dr, who I am extremely impressed with because she LISTENS, and works with me (Sometimes daily via message portal) to insure things are going as they should. Currently my daily regimen is as follows: Carb intake is limited to 100 or less per meal (3/Day) and 50 or less per snack (2/day) Calorie intake is set at 2040 per day, and Rx is: Metformin 500 at breakfast, and Lunch. Injections: I'm on both fast acting and slow (Lantus) both vial and needle as my insurance needs a mortgage payment for pens. Breakfast/Fasting sugar check: 5units fast act, Lunch: 5 units Fast act and supper 5 units Fast act. Add to these 5 units a sliding scale of 1 more 150-199 2 more 200-249 and 3 more 250-299. Finally a 35 unit shot of Lantus (Slow acting) at bedtime. It's a lot to manage each day. and costly. (About 350.00/month total) My vision DID return, My body is back to "normal" and I'm working to get my energy back. My Last A1c after 3 months out of the Hospital is now 8.1 and I'm happy, but not done. Our next goal is 7 or lower. The Dr and I have added 30 mins of cardio every day and I bought a Profit Hybrid and LOVE it. My biggest issue I need help with if anyone can help is the weight gain. You've read all my details, and my regimen. The Dr. says insulin amounts, is one of the issues. (Not sure I buy it) But my body is not producing it either so.... I'm depressed that the 100lbs I worked so damned hard to shed, has now dwindled to 60. Thats right, I've put on 40 lbs. Looking forward to friends and support. Please add me to your friend list if you can walk this journey with me.
    Thanks- Lee
  • 2t9nty
    Welcome Lee!

It sounds as if you have a plan and are getting things under control. You have made a lot of progress so far. Don't be discouraged...
  • elizabethwinchell
    elizabethwinchell Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. My name is Elizabeth. Type 2 in remission. I have lost 40 pounds. I feel thankful to be doing well enough that we could cut the amount of Metformin I take. I have been a bit stressed out because recently my cat got diagnosed with diabetes and kidney disease. He's on Lantus and subcutaneous fluids. I sort of feel like diabetes is taking over a huge piece of my life.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi. My name is Elizabeth. Type 2 in remission. I have lost 40 pounds. I feel thankful to be doing well enough that we could cut the amount of Metformin I take. I have been a bit stressed out because recently my cat got diagnosed with diabetes and kidney disease. He's on Lantus and subcutaneous fluids. I sort of feel like diabetes is taking over a huge piece of my life.

No kidding - I am so sorry about the cat.

Congrats on the BG management!
  • caroaro
    caroaro Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2023
    Hi all!
    I'd been using MFP for a while, years ago, for general weight loss on a plant based diet (at the time). Recently I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I think. It's a little confusing as my glucose levels say diabetes while my A1C is within the normal range. Either way, the bottom line is I've got to get myself together asap and change my diet and my life if I want a healthy future to look forward to.
    I'm 45, I'm overweight (probably obese, but I wasn't weighted in years), and struggling with my mental health, I've been leading an extremely sedentary lifestyle and eating a terrible, unorganised diet, often eating nothing at all for days, with empty carbs being the easiest, most manageable option when I did find the energy to prepare myself something to eat. I know...
    I Do feel surprisingly motivated to make the change. It doesn't even seem too difficult, at least on paper. But I'm also worried cause I've no idea where to find the physical and mental strength requird to take on such a task. Suffering from iron deficiency too, certainly doesn't help... I should be meeting with a clinical dietician soon and hopefully they'll be able to help me find a feasible way to approach this. I wasn't able to get an appointment yet, so in the meantime I tarted researching this brave new world and examining available tools like this great little app. I wasn't even sure if it was suitable for managing a diabetic diet, but I do remember it being pretty good at dealing with the actual composition of the food we eat so we'll see.
    It's great to meat you guys, and if you have any tips for managing a not too boring, sustainable, low carb diet, when even simple cooking feels like a huge challenge - I'll be more than happy to listen!
  • 2t9nty
    So it is the fasting number that is high? Mine always is and the doctor focuses on the A1C.

I would avoid the empty carbs and focus on healthy, regular meals as a first step.

I follow a very low carb - keto - diet. This works very well for me, but some people are not suited to it.

Tell us where you land! You can get all this under control.
  • Dave66s
    Dave66s Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I'm 56 and after being diagnosed with cancer late 2022 and going through surgery and chemotherapy my T2 diabetes returned. My HbA1c was 52 so my GP called me back for a retest, which was 48 two weeks later. I'm confident I can reduce my HbA1c through a lo-carb diet and exercise which I did 2 years ago.

After feeling very tired following surgery and chemo I'm starting to up the activity and hope to see the pounds (and inches) come off.
  • 2t9nty
    Hey - welcome to the group.

Be strong - you have been through a lot. Are you on meds while you are getting things under control?
  • bookaddict1972
    bookaddict1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, I'm Jen, and I'm a carb addict.

I saw my A1C on my Epic portal and freaked out, in terms of eating. By that I mean I mostly stopped eating. There's so much shame involved for me, as my family has diabetes running on both sides and I have had PCOS with insulin resistance since puberty (I'm 50 now), but I stayed fat and got fatter.

That's my history, but not my future. As a carb addict (sure, let's have soup in a bread bowl and a baguette on the side!), controlling carb intake is difficult. I'm also finding it hard to get enough protein without overdoing fat.

I'm also sedentary, so that also plays a part in the changes I'm taking on.

I can use support, for sure.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi, I'm Jen, and I'm a carb addict.

I saw my A1C on my Epic portal and freaked out, in terms of eating. By that I mean I mostly stopped eating. There's so much shame involved for me, as my family has diabetes running on both sides and I have had PCOS with insulin resistance since puberty (I'm 50 now), but I stayed fat and got fatter.

That's my history, but not my future. As a carb addict (sure, let's have soup in a bread bowl and a baguette on the side!), controlling carb intake is difficult. I'm also finding it hard to get enough protein without overdoing fat.

I'm also sedentary, so that also plays a part in the changes I'm taking on.

I can use support, for sure.

Hey - we are here for you. I think there are people here who can relate to all that.

I shoot for <100g of fat and >100g of protein, and that seems to work pretty well. The trick is lean meats. Roast chicken and pork tenderloin are staples of my diet.
  • bookaddict1972
    bookaddict1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you!
  • 2t9nty
    Thank you!

How are things going for you? Where did you land on the macros?
  • mrhairyman
    mrhairyman Posts: 14 Member
    Hi everyone. Diagnosed T2D last week. Didnt have any symptoms, but have always struggled with weight.
    Using this as a kick up the backside to lose weight, and get the T2D into remission. Would love to hear from folks who have managed to do that, or are on that journey. From the reading I have done so far, pursuing a very low carb route seems to be key. Would love to know how people get on with that - particularly with breakfast!

I'm 49. Irishman living in England. Have a fairly sedentary job, but have been trying to go swimming for 30 mins at least 4 times a week, and going for a 30 min (at least) walk on any non swimming days.
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 164 Member
    Hello! I was diagnosed T2 in March after my yearly blood tests. It wasn't a shock, considering last year's blood tests were pre-diabetic and I didn't make any changes. Smart, right? I am taking it very seriously now. Unfortunately, I've seen in family members what can happen when you don't.

Great to meet everyone!
  • 2t9nty
    Hello! I was diagnosed T2 in March after my yearly blood tests. It wasn't a shock, considering last year's blood tests were pre-diabetic and I didn't make any changes. Smart, right? I am taking it very seriously now. Unfortunately, I've seen in family members what can happen when you don't.

Great to meet everyone!

Welcome to the forum. Diabetes can be managed, and you will have to figure out what works for you. My counsel would be to check BG a lot and see how you respond to things. Keep us up-to-date...
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 164 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. Diabetes can be managed, and you will have to figure out what works for you. My counsel would be to check BG a lot and see how you respond to things. Keep us up-to-date...

Thank you!