I can't front squat or clean due to low wrist flexibility!

124»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited December 2014
    dbmata wrote: »
    I do weighted step ups like they're going out of style. My trainer loves the hell out of them. Nothing like seeing two 50# dbs sitting in front of a 30" box and being told: 1 rep per pound.

The panic you feel when you wonder if he means per pound of dumbbell weight, or my bodyweight...

Ask him if you can do 1-rep per Kilo instead. LOL
    Sam you know so much!! I assumed you knew! Whoops.

Lol, thanks. Always learning for sure. ;)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    And Pika is correct--I'm actually doing back squat in my profile pic. :)

I'll keep trying with the front squat--I can't do it if I'm going to keep choking like this, but I have a non-oly bar laying around and I can give that a go to see if I can get the hang of it.
    Yeah, about that.

Might not want to lean forward like that.

I have to agree with this. Upright torso. Try keeping your elbows under the bar to help correct that.
    Thanks--I know it wasn't perfect (partly because of my form issues and partly because of the camera angle). Just wanted to make the point that I wasn't going to suddenly stop trying in favor of zerchers.

edit: I know I need to not lean so far forward, but on a low bar squat, is it even possible to get my elbows under the bar?

I actually went super-light just to try it out last night with a 12.5 pound bar and did ok with keeping it off my throat. I'm going to see if I can gradually work up in weight with the dinky bar (I have plates for that too) and hope that by the time I get up to the 45 pound bar I'll have developed a good method.

since no one has addressed this yet- yes but no.

on a low bar squat- you're never going to have the elbows as tucked front.

but from the image you have now- you're actually round through the back. You're elbows looked like they are very out and up- even with low bar your elbows wind up tucked back- not so far up- remember you've got a shelf you're trying to make with those back muscles.

Sooooooo I think the cue of "upright torso" might be misleading- because I'd say you're need to stand up straighter with a not curved back- you're bent under the bar before you ever start the squat- it looks very much like you're low back is carrying ALL the weight.

Gotcha -i didn't realize people were referring to my standing pic as well. I was definitely sagging, which I tend to do when I go up a weight. I think it's partly a weak core but always something I need to be cognizant of.

Lady, I'll be honest, I wince every time I look at that picture. lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    so then I'm a little confused. What's the difference?

I just learned today what I call single leg lunges is the bulgarian ss.

Lunges have you "lunging" forward (or backward), going down then pushing back up to the starting positions.

Split squats have your legs in stationary positions (one front, one back) and you lower down and back up. No lunging motion.

Bulgarian split squats is when you have the back leg elevated on a bench. These are harder because it requires more balance and you'll be going deeper down, essentially. Also, unlike the split squat, most of the effort (I'd say like 75-85%) of the movement is focused on the front leg with the back elevated leg offering minimal support.

Ahhh, so you don't elevate the foot with the split squat. Essentially you'd be taking an olympic styled one leg back position and drop to depth. Interesting.

Sadly, I've only ever done Bulgarians when it comes to single leg stuff.

Another type of one legged squat (if you are interested or looking for a different variation) are skater squats.

These are supposed to be harder than Bulgarians since the back foot isn't used as part of the movement. (Well the full movement/exercise. Usually you do use the back foot a little as you build up strength). This is where you are solely on the front and go down until the knee hits the ground/pad.

And another exercise that works the legs pretty good like Bulgarians are high step ups (and you can do Barbell variations of these too to make them more challenging). You could also do Deficit Reverse Lunges.

I like doing power leaps- step back (as in a back lunge) then launch yourself straight UP driving the knee up.

*kitten* sucks.
    Gotcha -i didn't realize people were referring to my standing pic as well. I was definitely sagging, which I tend to do when I go up a weight. I think it's partly a weak core but always something I need to be cognizant of.
    that's a solid

SQUEEZE.
    YOUR.
    *kitten*.

and that should drive you straight up. Because yeah- it looks bad- like painful and like DB said- wincing!!!

If you're really struggling with bracing- get a belt. It makes the difference between struggling through a 185 set vs powering through those.

I am shoddy with bracing- I just have crap technique compared to belting. I go as long as I can w/o my belt- but once I start to get shoddy form- on goes the belt. Means I can keep working my legs and not let my lack of bracing hold my training up.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Well- the squeeze will just get you to straighten up at the top- so while you're standing there- weight loaded- just thinking about squeezing your *kitten*- not for forever- just unrack- give it a good squeeze.... look yourself in the eye- then squat.

squeeze again at the top to finish the movement.

Meh- keep working it- there is not "right weight" to when you need to hit a belt up- there is a guy at my gym who uses his belt for anything over 135- he had a bad back injury- and he really needs to make sure he's properly braced at all time- kid can put up 3 plates- no big deal. So i'ts less about the weight- and more about what you need to get you bracing properly.