White Rice Unhealthy?

124»

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    I'm late to the party. Nothing wrong with white rice. I find that when cooked right, rice fills up your stomach pretty well. Actually, every time I go to one of those burrito places like chipotle, I always tell them to drop the rice because it's too filling.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    The white... rice is always trying to bring the brown .. rice down.

:laugh:
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    I don't think of white rice as "unhealthy" but just a less nutritious source of calories and easy to overeat. I just started measuring pasta and was a little shocked that an 85g serving of spaghetti is 300 calories...and that's without the sauce. I feel like rice is similar...tasty and good as a base for saucy food but I feel I should be making better choices and watching how much of it I eat. Trying to eat brown rice and quinoa instead, though different types of rice, like black rice, have distinctive and enjoyable flavours.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    I've heard from Dr. Oz that white rice is not the healthiest because of the starchy content. Brown rice/whole grain is supposed to be better and Quinoa is supposed to be an even better supplement to rice.

The best thing you can do for your health is stop listening to Dr. Oz....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,138 Member
    Don't think I've seen THIS issue with rice, yet.....
    Google RICE and ARSENIC. Seriously, apparently arsenic is used in the processing of rice, and ESPECIALLY so in brown rice. I know someone who was treated and released from the hospital for arsenic poisoning, and the doc asked her if she was consuming a great deal of rice recently"! (And she was, brown, everyday as part of her health kick!)
    It's suggested you rinse your rice before cooking it. And don't overdo it. Try quinoa too :-) And barley!
    My own personal rice experience while eating clean and losing weigh is go for it. I would keep a woman's portion at 1/2 cup. I think the earlier :wink: answer that suggested not to eat it unless you were an athlete etc. was somewhat fanatical. Keeping it real is key for me. Sure, I want to eat clean, but I don't want to be obsessive and miserable. I want to be healthy and trim and happy!
    It's not actually used in the production of rice. Arsenic tends to concentrate in water and rice as a food source basically lives in water, so the changes that it evaporates and becomes condensed is high, and the reason why it's more prolific in brown rice, simply because the whole grain is left intact for consumption. Rinsing will help.....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Rinsing does seem awfully easy to do to avoid issues, but in the manufacturing process for rice are we saying it's not rinsed once?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    It spikes insulin and triggers the body to store fat. Unless you are an athlete or a body builder, I wouldn't eat it especially if you are overweight and insulin resistant.....which most obese people are.
    Nope. That's not even close to how the human body works.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Somebody beat it in my head that white rice is bad for me, and I should not eat it at all.

My question is... is that necessarily true? What is so bad with white rice?

Also: I don't mean the rice after toppings and such, I mean the white rice completely alone.

Someone please tell the Japanese that they're doing it wrong