Some friends who won't like my under-calorie status?

13»

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    This is why I've become slow to accept FRs. I'm not the greatest at keeping up with a lot of people, and if I don't know my friends and their goals, how am I gonna make a meaningful comment? A lovely friend who's exercise bulimic and struggling to gain so she won't have to stop working out completely posts a day like 800 calories under, and somebody comments, "Great day, WTG!" :noway: I don't want to be that commenter. We're NOT all here for the same thing.

By the way... Nice burn, everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I always check their diary if it says under, and for some of my friends they're daily netting 900 cals. I won't 'like' it if it looks like a bad pattern. I think the fact that MFP automatically announces when it's under the goal is not healthy, I feel like it's giving positive feedback for under eating. It's a goal, not an absolute upper limit.

And despite overestimated exercise calories, for someone over 160lb 1200 is already an incredibly restrictive goal, so I personally think people shouldn't be so concerned about not eating exercise calories.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    This is why I've become slow to accept FRs. I'm not the greatest at keeping up with a lot of people, and if I don't know my friends and their goals, how am I gonna make a meaningful comment? A lovely friend who's exercise bulimic and struggling to gain so she won't have to stop working out completely posts a day like 800 calories under, and somebody comments, "Great day, WTG!" :noway: I don't want to be that commenter. We're NOT all here for the same thing.

By the way... Nice burn, everyone. :flowerforyou:
    This sort of thing really bugs me. People don't stop and think about what they're encouraging!! I have friends who are supposed to be maintaining, and people will congratulate them on eating under, losing weight, etc. Pay attention to what your friends' goals actually are, people!!

However, in the case of the OP, they might not actually be looking at your diary, and are just liking the fact that you logged.
  • i think you all should drink more whiskey
    then you would not whine as much.

But my tolerance has lowered since I lost weight!!! I can't drink as much anymore and go from buzzed to asleep halfway into a drink now.... *cries*
  • I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

I am in a Lupus lab trial for systematic Lupus and on the days when I receive treatment and maybe the day after I have to force myself to eat. When I write a note like " Feeling bad and queasy all day, am hungry, but won't eat, because I'll throw up " I still get " WTG, isn't it great to be under ? " , or " congratulations for your consistency ".....consistency in what.....throwing up ? Due to age and a height of 4'11.5" ( measured yesterday ! ) I do usually eat 1200 calories.

Oh gosh that's horrible!! I always make sure to scroll all the way down (I am an app user) and check for notes as well. To avoid this very situation.
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    For the reasons listed by many of you I find it irritating to have "Friends" on this forum. Believe me a "WTG" posted after I complete my calorie logging for the day is not going to encourage me in the slightest. To me this is a sign that some complete stranger that has nothing better to do with their time. I did have a relative as a friend but ended that when it was clear she was not willing to commit to helping herself become a healthier person. Why don't we all get a life and stop pretending we have fake friends this or any social media site.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    For the reasons listed by many of you I find it irritating to have "Friends" on this forum. Believe me a "WTG" posted after I complete my calorie logging for the day is not going to encourage me in the slightest. To me this is a sign that some complete stranger that has nothing better to do with their time. I did have a relative as a friend but ended that when it was clear she was not willing to commit to helping herself become a healthier person. Why don't we all get a life and stop pretending we have fake friends this or any social media site.

Sheesh, bitter much? I have some very real friends on both this site and on Facebook as well, honeybunch. Sorry your interwebs social life isn't working out, but maybe you should work out your social issues with your relatives offlines?
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    I set my calories to my TDEE, so it always says I'm under since I eat a deficit.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member

Sounds like you've had some bad experiences.

There are a few people on my friends list who are obviously intelligent, want to learn, and I look forward to reading their posts. Just because it's an internet exchange and/or you haven't met those people doesn't make some positive interactions any less meaningful in my experience. There's also a lot of drivel, but I think the way everyone can manage their own public updates means you can create an environment that gives you interactions you get something out of.
  • For the reasons listed by many of you I find it irritating to have "Friends" on this forum. Believe me a "WTG" posted after I complete my calorie logging for the day is not going to encourage me in the slightest. To me this is a sign that some complete stranger that has nothing better to do with their time. I did have a relative as a friend but ended that when it was clear she was not willing to commit to helping herself become a healthier person. Why don't we all get a life and stop pretending we have fake friends this or any social media site.

Sorry you haven't had the best experience! *hugs* I have met some wonderful people on here and find it great to encourage each other towards our goals. *hands you a bowl of ice cream* There ya go. Feeling better?
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Just to play the devil's advocate....

I usually leave some calories on the table to make up for overestimating exercise and underestimating food. And, of course, I have days when I'm way over.

Same here. It's not an exact science!!! Especially if you don't have a HRM for exercise. Or if you eat an Oreo so quickly it doesn't register in your brain and you forget to log it.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member

First of all, the time it takes to type the three letters that comprise "WTG" is very insignificant. I lead a very engaging, exciting life of watching Netflix, but I still take a few minutes to scroll through my feed and "like" and comment on my pals' statuses. You can get good meal ideas if people's diaries are open, or find out about new workouts, or whatever random crap people are posting.

Maybe words of encouragement don't do much for you, but they help keep me motivated. I don't go sitting there like, "WAH, turtleluvr92 ISN'T MY REAL FRIEND." If I want to worry about people who may or may not be my real friends, I'll log in to Facebook, thankyouverymuch.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member

You sound like a hoot to be around!
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Just disable it in settings so it doesn't show on your timeline like I have. I never "like" anyone's eating over/under calorie goal remark for just this kind of reason. Plus some people who are trying to lose weight are not eating enough and then moan when they can't lose weight.....
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    people "like" my status when it automatically says YAY YOU"VE BEEN HERE FOR 5 DAYS IN A ROW.

I log in way more than that- it just resets it all the time. whatever - it is what it is.

totally irrelevant. it means nothing. Just eat more ice cream.
    Somewhat off topic, but you can turn that off. Then it doesn't alert your friends at all whether you've logged in 5 days or 486 days.

that's useful to know.

I really honestly have no idea how people have time for this- I check the forums because it's constantly moving and can be interesting- but i tend to stay off the feed- it just doesn't pop up and it's not that relevant- sucks for my friends- I'm a terrible MFP friend.

LMAO
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    I find the tracker very irritating. I think if you put on your goals you want to gain X pounds per week instead of lose X pounds per week it should change the trackers. I'm pregnant so obviously I'm wanting to gain weight but it's never showing a motivational progress marker because it's set up to assume I want to lose weight even though it asks you your goals on the sign up. They should definitely change that!