Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    n6vmkx.jpg
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I know what she means..... Favorite Safe food: Healthy to eat and tastes great. We all have an eating disorder of sorts or we wouldn't be on myfitnesspal. I wish I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted, but I can't. We have diabetes in our family and I have to maintain to survive a healthy future. There is no moderation in that. My body just reacts to foods differently then those who can enjoy eating anything they want.

So in this case my safe food is all unprocessed organic foods. No chemicals are added and I am able to eat a lot of it and stay healthy. Doesn't leave much for a very favorite but seeds and nuts added to my vegetables does the trick. I really like chicken and fish too.

no we don't, the word Eating Disorder should not be diluted to that extent. Safe foods is a term that features heavily with anorexics and it most certainly does not mean 'healthy to eat and tastes great' it means filling without substantial calories.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I know what she means..... Favorite Safe food: Healthy to eat and tastes great. We all have an eating disorder of sorts or we wouldn't be on myfitnesspal. I wish I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted, but I can't. We have diabetes in our family and I have to maintain to survive a healthy future. There is no moderation in that. My body just reacts to foods differently then those who can enjoy eating anything they want.

So in this case my safe food is all unprocessed organic foods. No chemicals are added and I am able to eat a lot of it and stay healthy. Doesn't leave much for a very favorite but seeds and nuts added to my vegetables does the trick. I really like chicken and fish too.

no we don't, the word Eating Disorder should not be diluted to that extent. Safe foods is a term that features heavily with anorexics and it most certainly does not mean 'healthy to eat and tastes great' it means filling without substantial calories.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Someone asks a one-sentence question about safe food and a bunch of strangers start diagnosing an eating disorder? I, for one, had no idea that it was a term used in that context. I didn't know exactly what she meant, but jeez! It's also possible that English is not her native language.
  • MoosyGoosy
    Options
    Safe foods? Safe for what........... Food sensitivities .........................................................................

Probably there are no truly safe foods for absolutely everyone in every situation. Have you ever looked for a safe, safe food listing for all.

You can guess I am totally hacked of with salicylate, soy and other, stuff

By the way I do not have an "eating disorder" my family will tell you I LOVE FOOD. I hate the real PAIN, and other Chronic health issues that I can fall fowl to and don't get me started on the effects of perfume etal

Also this is a subjective area because it relates to the individual and as I was told by my immunologist WE ARE AT THE EDGE OF SCIENCE

Just wanted to say that the pain from having an eating disorder can be/is real too. And lots of people with eating disorders love food, or at least loved it before they got sick!

I don't know if you were trying to imply this, but I hate it when people treat eating disorders as a disease that isn't real, or that is just about weight or attention
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate for me.
  • dcyr009
    Options
    Not true. I use that term and it doesn't have to due with someone who starves themselves. When I looked up safe foods it did not say the term belonged to anorexia people. We don't even know if the girl has an extreme eating disorder.

Unless your her doctor, leave the girl alone.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Not true. I use that term and it doesn't have to due with someone who starves themselves. When I looked up safe foods it did not say the term belonged to anorexia people. We don't even know if the girl has an extreme eating disorder.

Unless your her doctor, leave the girl alone.

Much in the same way that people use the word "depression" and the way that people with clinical depression use the word "depression", it's extremely valid to say that usage of the word "safe food" points to anoretic patterns. It is EXTREMELY common terminology in the ED world.

Simply because you have not heard it used that way does not mean it does not exist.

And while the girl may not have an eating disorder, it is not out of the realm of possibility to assume when using that word, (which, again, is common in that group) she might.