Healthy hot dogs to buy?

2»

Replies

• I would go with Bratwurst
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I don't care about the calories - none are so bad that I can't make them IIFYM - I'd just like to find some that don't have stoopid-high sodium levels!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Ballpark turkey franks. Only 45 cals each and they don't taste half bad either.

I'm not crazy about them plain (though they are a simple meal that you can make quickly) but I make turkey chili and put it on the turkey frank. That's darn yummy. You really only taste the chili. The hot dog is kind of for texture. So saving a mess of calories with the Ball Park frank is a good trade off.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    I remember seeing part of a tooth in a hot dog from a street vendor in Mexico City.....that I would considered bad, otherwise they taste like another one.

I found a clump of black fur in my hot dog I got at a baseball game once. If it weren't for the guys behind me making dirty comments, I might not have looked at it before I put it in my mouth right then. :sick:
    Wearing fur isn't politically correct......the nerve of some hotdogs.

I know! Damn wieners.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Read the labels and choose the best that are available to you! I was fortunate enough to find a local brand (Hippey) in Pennsylvania that are surprisingly "healthy"! I eat about four a week. The sodium content can be even more important that the calories or fat so read carefully.
  • No food is "bad" for you, unless you have allergies or possibly blood pressure problems and need to avoid sodium. You can eat anything you want in moderation.

Have a hot dog or two. Make them fit into your goals, enjoy them and don't worry about it.

^
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    i recently picked up some veggie dogs and enjoy them but everybody's different just explore some options! posters above me have good recommendations
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Depends on your definition of healthy. For me an organic hotdog will be healthier than a low fat hotdog filled with nitrates. Personally, I stick to Applegate Farms or Trader Joe's, and often have the turkey hot dogs.

Which reminds me I haven't had any in a while. Hmmm.

+1 for the Applegate Farms uncured beef hotdog. 70 calories, decent macros, and real hotdog taste, unlike turkey dogs.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    HEBREW NATIONALS ARE THE BEST HOTDOGS.. NON-FAT, REDUCED FAT, FULL FAT, FULL FLAVOR, GOOD QUALITY BEEF OF THE COW IS USED. THEY ARE KOSHER TOO., BLESSED! THE NON-FAT I EAT TWO AT A TIME AND IT ACTUALLY IS VERY FILLING. HMMM i NEED TO GO BUY SOME AGAIN.. WHEN ON SALE THEY ARE TWO FOR ONE! :flowerforyou:

According to my son, this ^^^

I'm a vegetarian so I occasionally have an Yves soy dog when I'm really craving a hot dog.