Healthy Crockpot Recipes

Replies

• Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Frozen chicken?

I thought you weren't supposed to do that.

Do you all use frozen?

I'm scared to try :ohwell:

edited cuz I forgot to say ... ALL these recipes sound great & so easy !!
  • emily1370
    emily1370 Posts: 15 Member
    bump :)
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    BUMPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Sub for deliciousness.
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    bump...thank you!!
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Yum!
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    In for later :smile:
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    bump
  • bump
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Chicken Brunswick Stew (6 WW Points)

2 Tbs. flour
    2 t instant bouillon granules, chicken flavor - ir use Better than Boullion (sp?) if you are watching sodium..
    1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    6 bone in chicken thighs (about 2 lbs)
    2 med. potatoes cut in 1" pieces
    1/2 c chopped onion
    1 (15oz ) can tomato sauce
    1 T Worcestershire
    1 (9oz) pkg. green giant frozen baby lima beans, thawed
    1 (9oz) pkg. green giant frozen niblets corn, thawed

In large resealable food storage plastic bag, combine flour, bouillon, poultry seasoning and pepper; mix well. Add chicken thighs, potatoes and onion; seal bag and shake to coat. Place in slow cooker. In small bowl, combine tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Pour over chicken and vegetables in slow cooker; stir gently to combine. Cover; cook on low for 7 hours. Stir in beans and corn. cover; cook on low for an additional 30 minutes. To serve, remove bones from chicken thighs. Stir chicken into stew mixture; mix well. Makes 6 servings: 6 points per serving

290 cal; 6g fat; 50mg cholesterol; 550mg sodium; 40g carbohydrates; 6g fiber; 20g protein.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Digging around for the black bean chili with cornbread topping recipe which was just outrageously delicious - will post when I find it.

Chili Mac Pot (4 WW Points)

16 ounces extra lean ground turkey or beef
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cups (one 16 ounce can) tomatoes,
    coarsely chopped and undrained
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can Healthy Request
    Tomato Soup
    1 cup reduced-sodium tomato juice
    2 teaspoons chili seasoning
    6 ounces (one 8 ounce can) red kidney
    beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup elbow macaroni

In a large skillet sprayed with olive oil flavored cooking spray, brown meat. Meanwhile, in a slow cooker container sprayed with cooking spray, combine onion, undrained tomatoes, tomato soup, tomato juice, and chili seasoning. Stir in kidney beans and uncooked macaroni. Add browned meat. Mix well to combine. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Mix well before serving.

Serves 6 (1 full cup) 4 points

Crocked Pineapple Chicken (4 WW PTS)

6 whole chicken breast halves without skin -- skinned and split
    1 dash pepper
    To taste paprika
    20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice -- 1 can tidbits
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 clove garlic -- minced

Arrange chicken in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle with pepper and paprika. In a small bowl, combine drained pineapple tidbits, mustard and soy sauce. Pour over chicken. Add minced garlic. Cover and cook on LOW 7-9 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours. Makes 6 serving.

Per Serving: 194 Calories; 2g Fat; 28g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 483mg Sodium.

Crockpot Black Bean Soup (2 WW Points)
    8 (1-cup) servings; 2 points

1/4 lb. chorizo
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 small red pepper, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    2 tbsp. dry sherry
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 bay leaf
    15 oz can black beans, undrained
    15 oz can fat free chicken broth
    juice of 1 lime
    2 tbs. minced cilantro
    1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper

Discard chorizo skin. Crumble meat and brown in a non-stick skillet for 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and peppers. Sauté over medium high heat 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker. Add sherry, cumin, bay leaf, beans and broth. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours. Remove lid. Scoop out 1 cup beans and press with the back of a fork to mash. Return to pot. Add lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered just to warm through, about 5 minutes.

Yields 8 (1-cup) servings; 2 points per serving.
  • K_Huck
    K_Huck Posts: 25 Member
    bump
  • Alford96
    Alford96 Posts: 70
    In for the recipes as well but FYI...I always use the reduced fat/reduced sodium "cream of..."s and they taste fine in the crock pot (sometimes reduced fat/sodium = increased gag reflex- for me anyway).

What my hubs and I do sometimes, is a pound of beans (red, white, navy, pinto, what have you), approx. 12-16 ounces of whatever smoked/salted meat you prefer cut into bite sized pieces (smoked sausage, salt pork, etc...), 1 envelope of onion soup mix and water to cover at least 2 inches-in the crock pot on High for 8 hours. Come home, make rice (or other grain) and/or cornbread and you have a hot, reasonably low cal dinner. You can add canned tomatoes, any fresh veggies like onion, garlic, celery, etc... that you like, and any other seasonings that you want. Also, you can adjust the water level if you want them less soupy (I like mine soupy). Just match the size of the bean and the amount of water. You may even have to cook them on low depending on how hot your slow cooker gets or how long you'll be gone.
  • alschavel
    alschavel Posts: 1
    bump
  • CAC10456
    CAC10456 Posts: 117 Member
    bump
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    What I have in the Crockpot right now:

Shredded BBQ Chicken

3 chicken breasts
    1 bottle BBQ sauce
    1 can soda (I used Diet Dr. Pepper but you can use Coke/Pepsi, root beer, whatever you want)

Cook on low for about 5 hours then shred the chicken.

Very easy and yummy.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    I just put in boston butt, beer, bbq sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, dried garlic and onion (cause there's never enough garlic and onion for us), salt, pepper. Will post how it turns out. I put 1 1/4 C bbq sauce and 8 oz beer (scaled down from recipe I adapted from since my roast was only 3.5 lbs). Tonight we shall see if it's all that! I think it will be - I don't see where it could go wrong.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    It's a HIT! I think the roast, beer and spices are enough - cooked overnight on low (hours.... not sure) It fell apart. I removed the roast from the pot, took off/out all the fat I could and pitched the liquid. Shredded - well as I took it out and removed fat it shredded itself. Then top with BBQ sauce of your choice. Def a do again for us!
  • Annablush
    Annablush Posts: 1
    Great thread - thankyou!! :) Will be making a fair few of these recipes this winter
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Lower sodium version of Slow cooker Posole from yummly .com
    Ingredients

Original recipe makes 8 servings
    1 tablespoon canola oil
    1 (2 pound) boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 (14.5 ounce) can old El Paso green chile enchilada sauce
    2 (15.5 ounce) cans white hominy, drained
    1 onion, sliced
    1 can diced or crushed tomatoes
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo Mi Costena brand canned chipotles - just pull out one pepper and freeze the rest in a Baggie.break off when you need one
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1can low sodium chicken broth
    1 can of water
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 bay leaves

Brown the meat in a skillet, put in 4 qt slow cooker on low with all other ingredients for 6 hours. Though the Old El Paso sauce is prepared the sodium is only 240 per serving. Less than a third of what is typically in canned soups.
    I have made this recipe with 1 lb chicken thighs and 1 lb pork necks. It is a family favorite.