Sugar is killing you.

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

you realize that some fruits have more sugar then a service of ice cream right?

and there is no difference, at the molecular level sugar is sugar….your body does not distinguish between where sugar comes from.

I see a lot of people on this site posting that, and it doesn't make any sense at all. Do you think that the second you eat something that it's instantly converted down to it's base molecules?

do you really think your body distinguishes between types of sugar? Do you really think it is possible to say that one is addicted to "added sugar" but that same "addict" can then eat 20 ounces of fruit a day?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Sugar is keeping me alive

glucose is a sugar

in every cell in my body, glucose is being broken down, with the help of oxygen, to release energy which my cells are using to do all the things they need to do to keep me alive.

I :heart: sugar
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I am in total agreement. As far as human food consumption goes, refined sugar is a newcomer ... with the exception of wild honey it has been produced for only about one thousand years, the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, and our bodies are not designed to handle it easily. Indeed, It has only been in the past few hundred years that refined sugar has been available to the average person and with increased consumption of refined sugar has come similar increases in obesity and the associated insulin intolerance and hypertension that accompany metabolic syndrome. There is no doubt that the alarming rise in diabetes and heart disease is closely linked with obesity and the consumption of refined sugar. Of course sugar is not the only villain ... our bodies were meant to be moving, not parked in front of a screen all day. I believe we need to have more consideration of who we are as humans and what our bodies need. That means eating whole, naturally occurring foods and getting some kind of daily exercise.
    I recommend you read Richard J Johnson's "The Fat Switch" ... it's well researched by a very credible author and full of interesting information.

The alarming rise in diabetes and obesity is closely linked to overeating. Period.

And would eating a diet filled with refined sugar perhaps be more likely to lead to overeating then a diet filled with whole foods? Of course it would for normal people who don't weigh and log every single piece of food they eat.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

and there is no difference, at the molecular level sugar is sugar….your body does not distinguish between where sugar comes from.

I see a lot of people on this site posting that, and it doesn't make any sense at all. Do you think that the second you eat something that it's instantly converted down to it's base molecules?

do you really think your body distinguishes between types of sugar? Do you really think it is possible to say that one is addicted to "added sugar" but that same "addict" can then eat 20 ounces of fruit a day?

Don't change the subject. Sure, a molecule of fructose may be a molecule of fructose. But that's neither here nor there when discussing a complex system. Foods have to be processed by your body BEFORE they turn into base molecules.

So while there is no difference b/w two solitary fructose molecules from different sources, there is a big difference in the metabolic response b/w eating an apple and eating an equivalent caloric amount of HFCS.

In regard to "sugar addiction," it makes perfect sense that foods that taste better would more addictive.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I am in total agreement. As far as human food consumption goes, refined sugar is a newcomer ... with the exception of wild honey it has been produced for only about one thousand years, the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, and our bodies are not designed to handle it easily. Indeed, It has only been in the past few hundred years that refined sugar has been available to the average person and with increased consumption of refined sugar has come similar increases in obesity and the associated insulin intolerance and hypertension that accompany metabolic syndrome. There is no doubt that the alarming rise in diabetes and heart disease is closely linked with obesity and the consumption of refined sugar. Of course sugar is not the only villain ... our bodies were meant to be moving, not parked in front of a screen all day. I believe we need to have more consideration of who we are as humans and what our bodies need. That means eating whole, naturally occurring foods and getting some kind of daily exercise.
    I recommend you read Richard J Johnson's "The Fat Switch" ... it's well researched by a very credible author and full of interesting information.

The alarming rise in diabetes and obesity is closely linked to overeating. Period.

And would eating a diet filled with refined sugar perhaps be more likely to lead to overeating then a diet filled with whole foods? Of course it would for normal people who don't weigh and log every single piece of food they eat.

I got fat (200+ pounds) on a diet of whole, healthy, minimally processed food. Wasn't even hard. I just...you know. Ate a lot.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Don't change the subject. Sure, a molecule of fructose may be a molecule of fructose. But that's neither here nor there when discussing a complex system. Foods have to be processed by your body BEFORE they turn into base molecules.

So while there is no difference b/w two solitary fructose molecules from different sources, there is a big difference in the metabolic response b/w eating an apple and eating an equivalent caloric amount of HFCS.

In regard to "sugar addiction," it makes perfect sense that foods that taste better would more addictive.
    interesting concept ..so by your logic, I can be addicted to crack-cocaine, but not powder cocaine....
  • ahamm002
    Options

I got fat (200+ pounds) on a diet of whole, healthy, minimally processed food. Wasn't even hard. I just...you know. Ate a lot.

I never said it was impossible to gain weight eating whole foods! It's definitely doable. Although I still have to ask. Did this "diet of whole, healthy, minimally processed food" include lots of bread, pasta, or rice?
  • ahamm002
    Options

interesting concept ..so by your logic, I can be addicted to crack-cocaine, but not powder cocaine....

You can become addicted to either one. But which one is known to be more addictive?
  • Achrya
    Options

I never said it was impossible to gain weight eating whole foods! It's definitely doable. Although I still have to ask. Did this "diet of whole, healthy, minimally processed food" include lots of bread, pasta, or rice?

Do you consider bread and pasta minimally processed? Because you'd be the first person I've seen to say so.

Or do you think I don't know what minimally processed means?

Either way, no, it didn't. As a teenager I ate how my mother cooked, with was a mostly meat and veggie based diet (probably why I don't eat vegetables now. I've had enough to last a lifetime) and while she did occasionally make bread and pasta herself it was more of a special occasion thing than a daily/frequent occurrence. She didn't buy sugary snacks, soda, or any of the other supposed evils people quake in fear of.

Thankfully she's since become a real person and keeps a pantry full of oreos and coco puffs, which means I don't cringe at the thought of visiting anymore.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Do you consider bread and pasta minimally processed? Because you'd be the first person I've seen to say so.

Hey, just said I had to ask, that's all!
    Either way, no, it didn't. As a teenager I ate how my mother cooked, with was a mostly meat and veggie based diet (probably why I don't eat vegetables now. I've had enough to last a lifetime) and while she did occasionally make bread and pasta herself it was more of a special occasion thing than a daily/frequent occurrence. She didn't buy sugary snacks, soda, or any of the other supposed evils people quake in fear of.

Thankfully she's since become a real person and keeps a pantry full of oreos and coco puffs, which means I don't cringe at the thought of visiting anymore.

Well I hope you learn to like vegetables again someday. When I was a teenager I only ate one meal per day that my mom cooked. My breakfast and school lunch were both highly processed and low in nutrients. So I'm still a little skeptical that you were really eating what sounds almost like a paleo diet, but you can gain weight on anything if you overeat of course.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I feel like we literally just finished an occasionally nasty thread on this exact same topic which resulted in nobody on either side budging one millimeter from the opinion they held coming into the thread.

I think I am a seer. Give me offerings.
  • Achrya
    Options

Hey, just said I had to ask, that's all!

Well I hope you learn to like vegetables again someday. When I was a teenager I only ate one meal per day that my mom cooked. My breakfast and school lunch were both highly processed and low in nutrients. So I'm still a little skeptical that you were really eating what sounds almost like a paleo diet, but you can gain weight on anything if you overeat of course.

I ate breakfast at home and did not eat school lunch (I wouldn't eat that junk even now and I'll try almost anything.) I usually took some fruit and occasionally a sandwich is there was bread around and meat left over from dinner. Even now I'm 'not a three meal a day eater'. I usually have some yogurt, fruit, and a sandwich around noon, and then dinner around 6 then dessert, as opposed to high school being Breakfast->Fruit->Dinner(and then seconds and then thirds after my mom was asleep)

My stepdad did make pancakes every Sunday, so I suppose there is that. It was probably the pancakes that got me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You can become addicted to either one. But which one is known to be more addictive?

I don't know any crack heads that are not addicted to cocaine...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I feel like we literally just finished an occasionally nasty thread on this exact same topic which resulted in nobody on either side budging one millimeter from the opinion they held coming into the thread.

probably because this one comes up at least once a week with zero resolution ...
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Aren't we all just slowly dying anyways? Eat a little sugar. Don't eat enough to make you a fatty. No biggy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

probably because this one comes up at least once a week with zero resolution ...

The department of redundancy department.
  • ahamm002
    Options

I really don't know where this analogy came from. But sugar addiction is more likely 2/2 to the taste and our brain's reward center, not individual molecules. Since fruit and cupcakes taste a lot different I'm not sure why you would think addiction would to either would cross over.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I live in eastern Canada where we have the best maple syrup...

Phew, good thing I live in Nebraska. No sugar here, just corn and cows. And corn..... oh, and cows.....
    corn.

lmfao
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I really don't know where this analogy came from. But sugar addiction is more likely 2/2 to the taste and our brain's reward center, not individual molecules. Since fruit and cupcakes taste a lot different I'm not sure why you would think addiction would to either would cross over.

There's this salty taste I'm addicted to... but I've heard it's actually made up of mostly sugar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Are we all still in agreement that sugar " addiction" is a real thing? And that it is exclusive to "processed" sugars? Because fiber (or some other explanation)?